PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
09-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Started reading Victoria's Daughters about Queen Victoria's children. Well-written, informative and interesting. But I had to stop because reading about all these kids' deaths from infectious diseases is so heartbreaking. And these are royal children, I can only imagine what it was like for the poor ones.

I was reminded of the interview I've heard on the radio. A pediatrician from San Francisco was telling her story about her experience in Haiti after the earthquake. She was crying because she had to witness all these kids die knowing she could have saved them had she had the equipment and medications that are widely available in the US today.

It was just really hard to read about real life now-preventable deaths. And then of course, Victoria lost Albert to typhoid. I need to build up courage to continue reading--the book is very good.

I am such a wuss!

mkats
09-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Oh, I enjoyed Victoria's Daughters a lot - I hope you do too!

Continuing the royal line, I'm reading "Becoming Marie Antoinette" - a period I'm not super familiar with, other than having read the YA fiction Royal Diaries series when I was little :lol: You know, although those books are classified as "children's books", they are remarkably good at incorporating little bits of history!

zaphyre14
09-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I finished the LKH - honestly, if she'd taken out all the sex and concentrated on the actual story, it might have been a decent book. As it was - well, it's up on the swap sight but no one seems to want it. :)

Continuing my adventure into dreck, I'm reading the latest Stephanie Plum "Smokin' 17" and enjoying it for what it is - fluffy dreck. My expectations are low for this series so I'm not disappointed. The Ranger/Morelli waffling is getting old, though.

Has anyone else read Kate Quinn's "Mistress of Rome" and "Daughters of Rome"? I liked "Mistress" enough to buy "Daughters" but I really can't get into the second one at all and I can't really figure out why.

Erin
09-20-2011, 04:51 PM
I am such a wuss!

Well, if you are, I am too! I had a hard time reading Unbroken as a result of all of the horrifying experiences and torture that various people in the book endured. However, I eventually forced myself through it and was glad I did...but I understand how you feel.

IceAlisa
09-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Oh, I enjoyed Victoria's Daughters a lot - I hope you do too!

Continuing the royal line, I'm reading "Becoming Marie Antoinette" - a period I'm not super familiar with, other than having read the YA fiction Royal Diaries series when I was little :lol: You know, although those books are classified as "children's books", they are remarkably good at incorporating little bits of history!

I've read a book about Marie Antoinette in Russian translation from the German original. The subtitle was "the story of an ordinary woman". By "ordinary" the author meant her personality and character, not her social position, of course. It was good but I forgot the title.

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Marie-Antoinette-Portrait-Average-Woman/dp/0802139094

I prefer to read German books translated into Russian rather than English. Early in my college career I was traumatized by a horrible translation of Freud into English--I feel German prose is easier to digest in Russian. Nonetheless, I highly recommend the book.

NancyNC
09-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Actually, that's just a series of cubes. Any half-way decent carpenter could make it. And since the cubes are stacked, it would be easy to move around.

That's exactly what I was thinking. And since my husband has a basement full of woodworking equipment... :cool:

I just finished a book by Rohan O'Grady, Let's Kill Uncle. It is technically a young adult book, but I loved it. It was written in the 60's. I knew I had to read it when I saw this on Amazon: "Playful, dark, and witty, Let's Kill Uncle is a surprising tale of two ordinary children who conspire to execute an extraordinary murder - and get away with it."

Stefanie
09-20-2011, 06:11 PM
I've 40 pages left of The Help, and I can't wait to go home and finish reading it. I've already seen the movie so it's killing me right now to know how this wraps up.

Artemis@BC
09-20-2011, 07:42 PM
The NY Public Library is number two on my list of things to see if I ever get to NY.

It was on my list too, and I did succeed in getting there in May. But we didn't venture too far past the magnificant entrance & foyer, since it was a rare spell of sunnyness and we didn't want to spend too much time inside.

I had a dream a couple of days after that about the stone lions coming to life. Very cool.

Meanwhile ... I'm reading a book for my brand-new virtual book club, The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman. Meh. If I'd read it when it was first written I might have been more impressed, but in 2011 the "life-changing wisdom" comes off very, very dated. Plus, while he's writing about Socrates he's fairly elequent, but when he's writing about himself the writing is really, really bad. And I have a very low tolerance for bad writing. If it weren't a book club book -- and in particular if it weren't our first -- I wouldn't bother reading any more. But in the circumstances I feel obligated to keep going. *sigh*

modern_muslimah
09-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I finished Miss New India a few days ago. I had such high hopes for the book but it ended on such a whimper. I never really got the point of the novel or why the protagonist was so great and special or why she was even worth being a protagonist in the first place. It just just seemed like the author wanted to write a novel about new India, came up with the novel but had no real point other than this is a novel about India and the main character represents new India. I did like Chatterjee's writing style and the book wasn't hard to read. So I guess that was a plus for me.

I'm now reading Dating Mr. December, which was a freebie from B&N a while back. It's a pretty fluffy romance but I need a fluffy romance right now. I keep imagining Richard Armitage as the hero.

RockTheTassel
09-21-2011, 12:28 AM
I just finished a reread of Pride and Prejudice. Never gets old. :)

Now I'm finally reading Catching Fire after reading The Hunger Games about a year ago. I have high expectations after the first book. It's kind of slow so far, but several have told me that it really picks up in the middle. Can't wait.

IceAlisa
09-21-2011, 12:33 AM
I just finished a reread of Pride and Prejudice. Never gets old. :)

I like rereading the annotated P&P. :) Try it, it's fun!

IceAlisa
09-21-2011, 12:41 AM
Leningrad: Tragedy of a city under siege. The title of this book speaks for itself. I am stil on my war time book reading stint. I have read many books on the war in the library but this one is brand new and worth the read. It tells the story of the siege through war time diaries, and blames Soviet indifference and incompetence as much for the siege as the Nazis. Below is a review of the book from the dailymail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-2032706/BEYOND-HORROR-They-ate-cats-sawdust-wallpaper-paste--babies-Leningrads-agony-Nazis-tried-starve-submission-LENINGRAD-TRAGEDY-OF-A-CITY-UNDER-SIEGE-1941-44-BY-ANNA-REID.html

Sorry for the double post.
I don't think I have a stomach for this. Too close to home, literally.

rfisher
09-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Now I'm finally reading Catching Fire after reading The Hunger Games about a year ago. I have high expectations after the first book. It's kind of slow so far, but several have told me that it really picks up in the middle. Can't wait.

You must not read this thread on a regular basis. :lol:

RockTheTassel
09-21-2011, 03:10 AM
You must not read this thread on a regular basis. :lol:

I thought it was Mockingjay everyone had a problem with. :lol:

PrincessLeppard
09-21-2011, 03:49 AM
It is. But she's gonna wanna read it after finishing the second one. And that's not good. :P