PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

galaxygirl
01-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Enjoy, I've liked this series so far. :kickass:

Excellent! I just finished up Anna Dressed in Blood, which was meh, and am starting The Agency next.

John 3 17
01-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Definitely my favorite by Thackeray, for passages like this one about Miss Crawley's illness:

She never told until long afterwards how painful that duty was; how peevish a patient was the jovial old lady; how angry; how sleepless; in what horrors of death; during what long nights she lay moaning, and in almost delirious agonies respecting that future world which she quite ignored when she was in good health.—Picture to yourself, oh fair young reader, a worldly, selfish, graceless, thankless, religionless old woman, writhing in pain and fear, and without her wig. Picture her to yourself, and ere you be old, learn to love and pray!

The way he slips in "and without her wig" makes me laugh every time.

Yes, I loved the snark, too, even though I gave up (probably more like "suspended" and will return, lol).

-Bridget

mkats
01-21-2012, 07:03 PM
I saw Charlotte's Web in Spanish today in the children's section of the library and picked it up :rofl: I use Spanish all the time at work but my ability is almost all medical lingo now, so I thought it would be fun to go back to the basics with such a lovely book.

IceAlisa
01-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Robert Massie talks about the guillotine in the Catherine II bio.

WARNING GRAPHIC MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!

Apparently the French claimed the guillotine was humane as it killed instantly vs. some botched hangings and beheadings.

One physician was allowed to experiment with the head of a guillotined convict. He reported that the head was responsive to the name (opened eyes, made eye contact) and to touch on the cheek for a few minutes.

That was the last thing I read last night before I went to bed. I wish I hadn't.

Wyliefan
01-21-2012, 11:14 PM
GAH! That's horrible!! :scream: :scream: :scream:

(Coincidentally, I just heard something similar in a recent radio broadcast. I was hoping it wasn't true.)

RockTheTassel
01-21-2012, 11:30 PM
I've read that too, in a children's edition of A Tale of Two Cities that had a page of guillotine facts in the back of the book. :yikes: It's freaky enough hearing it now, but it would have scared me so much if I had read it when I was younger.

Another fact about guillotines I remember from the book was that jewelry shaped like guillotines used to be really in fashion. Can you imagine wearing that? Forget hearts, I want guillotine earrings next month. :lol:

IceAlisa
01-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Another fact about guillotines I remember from the book was that jewelry shaped like guillotines used to be really in fashion. Can you imagine wearing that? Forget hearts, I want guillotine earrings next month. :lol:

Charming. What's next, jewelry shaped like electric chairs?

John 3 17
01-22-2012, 04:21 AM
I've read that too, in a children's edition of A Tale of Two Cities that had a page of guillotine facts in the back of the book. :yikes: It's freaky enough hearing it now, but it would have scared me so much if I had read it when I was younger.

I've read that, too. I imagine Madame DeFarge owned a lot of them...

-Bridget

ChelleC
01-22-2012, 04:26 AM
I've read that, too. I imagine Madame DeFarge owned a lot of them...

-Bridget

:lol: :rofl: Quite possibly.

Evilynn
01-22-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm reading Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist, which I really like so far, at a quarter of the way in. It sucked me in from the first chapter. I really want to know what happened to Maja.

I really liked Harbor. :) I'm interested to know how they solved the translation issue with Henrik and Björn talking solely in The Smiths lyrics translated into Swedish in the original Swedish version. Did they just keep the English lyrics? I suppose that's the easiest solution, even if it'd be a little more obvious what they were saying right away...

I just finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8490112-daughter-of-smoke-and-bone) which was quite good, I think I'll read the next book too. That finished my reading challenge (yay!), and now I'm reading Tim Powers' Three Days To Never (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/209688.Three_Days_to_Never). :)

Holley Calmes
01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Got the latest Elizabeth George yesterday. If I don't like it, I can always use it for a door stop.

Spinner
01-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Got the latest Elizabeth George yesterday. If I don't like it, I can always use it for a door stop.

:lol: She does write some thick ones, eh? ;)

Erin
01-23-2012, 01:54 AM
I started The Hunger Games last night (actually, the whole trilogy was offered for cheap, so I bought that). Another one not to read before bed. I only read the first chapter and I was still having nightmares about various aspects of the book.

Nightmares aside, the book itself is off to a good start. I will have to start gearing up with very low expecations for Mockingjay, as I'm reading the books on my e-reader and don't want to wreck it by throwing it across the room.

Wyliefan
01-23-2012, 05:01 AM
I guess the book thread is the best place to put this: My blog is raising money for charity in honor of the Dickens bicentennial this year. You can pick a charity from our list, and get people to donate a certain amount for each chapter of Dickens that you read this year. Here's the link for those interested (http://dickensblog.typepad.com/dickensblog/2011/12/the-dickens-bicentennial-charity-fundraiser.html)!

(This is only for those who WANT to read Dickens. I'm not going to harass those who are allergic to Victorian lit, I promise. :D To each his own.)

Spinner
01-23-2012, 06:02 AM
After a bit of organizing, I have 16 advance copies on my Nook to read by August. Likely more to add as they're available. I don't know if I'll ever catch up!