PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PrincessLeppard
01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm really wondering how the whole Peeta/Gale thing is going to go? By the end of the 2nd it seems like she's falling in love with Peeta, but then with Peeta captured, Gale steps back into the picture. At this point, I'm rooting for Peeta but I'd guess something will happen that might make you want to root for Gale.

I hated both of them by the end of Mockingjay, and, IMO, she should've chosen neither. But that probably wasn't an option in YA literature.

oleada
01-20-2012, 12:26 AM
I'm reading Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist, which I really like so far, at a quarter of the way in. It sucked me in from the first chapter. I really want to know what happened to Maja.

Wyliefan
01-20-2012, 04:29 AM
Fun article here (http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/01/the-unexpected-inspirations-behind-beloved-childrens-books/251643/) about the inspiration behind several classic children's books. The Maurice Sendak anecdote is my favorite. :)

dinakt
01-20-2012, 04:34 AM
Still reading the Catherine II bio. It's good. Again, I am impressed by how much, pretty much everything the Russian writer of the novel on Catherine got right.

Although Massie does add quite a bit more detail and more characters but I can see how in the format of a novel they would have to be condensed.

Catherine's life before she ascended the throne sucked as many of you know. :(

It's next on my list:glamor:
Massie's "Peter the Great" was very good, as far as I remember ( it's been a while, and my memory's a sieve)

IceAlisa
01-20-2012, 04:41 AM
Massie's "Peter the Great" was very good, as far as I remember ( it's been a while, and my memory's a sieve)

And that's next on mine! :)

John 3 17
01-20-2012, 07:19 AM
I have to write thorough reviews of the books I bought in late summer from Borders' sale, but here's what I've read so far:

The Princess & the Goblin and
Phantastes by George MacDonald
The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti
An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott
The Wolf of Tebron by C.S. Lakin

I tried Vanity Fair by Thackery and quit (more on that later).

I'm so far a couple of chapters into An Irish Country Christmas by Patrick Taylor; just started it a couple of days ago.

-Bridget

IceAlisa
01-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Vanity Fair is one of my all-time favorites. I re-read it every few years or so.

John 3 17
01-20-2012, 08:36 AM
I never give up on books. Even if I hate them, I'm stubborn and will finish. But VF was just. Ugh. I really only liked one character (Dobbin, but even he is too naive), but I could've stuck it out if the rug hadn't kept getting ripped out from under Becky Sharp (whom I also liked) -- if she hadn't just accepted Rawdon's offer and waited only about an hour, she'd be rich and happy! If she had handled the old Aunt better, she'd be rich and happy! But, as the author reminds us: there'd be no story. I did, however, thoroughly enjoy Thackery's voice and snarkiness :lol: Knowing my stubborn self, I will probably return to it one day; I gave up just before the description of the Battle of Waterloo which I hear is quite good. And since I love that period in history, I'll try to return to it. But the frustrations and "almosts" of the plot drove me nuts. Too many "what ifs"/ regrets/near misses. *sigh* Plus, I knew I had 20 other books from the Borders' sale just waiting for me ;)

PS "getting the rug ripped out from under her" is probably not the best metaphor, so it was more like I couldn't take all the missed opportunities. It was almost cruel :lol:

Wyliefan
01-20-2012, 01:34 PM
I have to write thorough reviews of the books I bought in late summer from Borders' sale, but here's what I've read so far:

The Princess & the Goblin and
Phantastes by George MacDonald
The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti
An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott
The Wolf of Tebron by C.S. Lakin

I tried Vanity Fair by Thackery and quit (more on that later).

I'm so far a couple of chapters into An Irish Country Christmas by Patrick Taylor; just started it a couple of days ago.

-Bridget

I LOVE An Old-Fashioned Girl. And Macdonald's books are really good, too.

Vanity Fair isn't one of my all-time favorites, but it's a good read.

dbell1
01-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Received and read "The Chalk Girl" by Carol O'Connell yesterday. :lol:

Latest in her 'Mallory' series and I've been waiting for a new book forever, loved it. Still have a shelf full of books glaring at me, I'll get to them eventually. :shuffle:

Nomad
01-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Vanity Fair is one of my all-time favorites. I re-read it every few years or so.

Definitely my favorite by Thackeray, for passages like this one about Miss Crawley's illness:

She never told until long afterwards how painful that duty was; how peevish a patient was the jovial old lady; how angry; how sleepless; in what horrors of death; during what long nights she lay moaning, and in almost delirious agonies respecting that future world which she quite ignored when she was in good health.—Picture to yourself, oh fair young reader, a worldly, selfish, graceless, thankless, religionless old woman, writhing in pain and fear, and without her wig. Picture her to yourself, and ere you be old, learn to love and pray!

The way he slips in "and without her wig" makes me laugh every time.

IceAlisa
01-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Level 4 snarkage.

Prancer
01-20-2012, 08:59 PM
I loved Vanity Fair from the moment Becky Sharp tossed Johnson's dictionary out the carriage window. :lol:

And I love Johnson, too; some of the entries in that dictionary are :rofl: snarky.

IceAlisa
01-20-2012, 09:00 PM
I loved Vanity Fair from the moment Becky Sharp tossed Johnson's dictionary out the carriage window. :lol:

Me too! It was priceless.

star_gazer11
01-21-2012, 12:02 AM
In which case, I'll read The Agency 1: A Spy in the House (http://www.amazon.com/Agency-1-Spy-House/dp/B005K68P7O/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326750186&sr=1-1). It's about a secret spy agency that allows girls to kick ass in secret while remaining good Victorian young ladies in public. :)

Enjoy, I've liked this series so far. :kickass:

I just finished reading The Outlander by Gil Adamson, and I have to confess myself disappointed. Her writing is so gorgeous; I kept wanting to copy down some of her metaphors and try and make use of them in my own random writings. But the whole story was just depressing... the widow who murdered her husband is cold, in the woods woods, hungry, keeps running, meets people we don't see again, rinse, repeat. I only put up with the book because I expected there to be some sort of BIG denouement where her brothers-in-law catch up to her and SOMETHING happens...

I feel like all the books I've been reading recently have been so passive and stale in terms of actual plot and happenings. I want ACTION! *stamps foot*

Sometimes I feel that way too, but I remember enjoying The Outlander so I didn't feel the same way for that particular book.

I finished Heist Society. I loved it. It was just so fun. The writing is quite witty and I think Kat is great main character.

It was like a funner version of Ocean's 11.

I LOVE the heist society books. :cheer2: Make sure you continue on with Uncommon Criminals.

I almost DNF'd The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon (latest Lord John book), but somehow pushed through. Eh, the best thing about it was that all the excerpts Gabaldon has posted of the next Outlander book so far are all included here.