PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

galaxygirl
01-18-2012, 06:05 PM
:rofl: Indeed.

My copy was somewhat worse for wear when I gave it to the library due to being thrown across the room a couple of times. It also took less than a day to read since I skipped 50% of it because my annoyance quota was met within the first chapter.

I'm waiting to get the second book from the library but now I can't wait to read the third one. I didn't love the first book as much as many of you seem to so hopefully I can enjoy the apparent train wreck of the third book. :lol:

ETA: There are 135 holds on the second book (I'm 25) but only 37 on the third one...

Fergus
01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
I haven't read it, but I was told it was about how people in general and biographers in particular are not reliable purveyors of truth.

Ahhhhhh! Makes sense, actually. Like most of Hollinghurst's work, it's beautifully written...

......though the time-jumping made me think I was back in David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas.

Just picked up David Snodin's Iago. Looks fab, but methinks I might need to reread Othello first....... :lol:

kwanatic
01-18-2012, 08:31 PM
This thread is split on the third book of the Hunger Games. I think it's godawful, with the characters undergoing unrealistic personality changes, stupid plot "twists," and the lamest ending ever.

My copy was somewhat worse for wear when I gave it to the library due to being thrown across the room a couple of times. It also took less than a day to read since I skipped 50% of it because my annoyance quota was met within the first chapter.

Uh oh you guys...now I'm worried. :eek:

Without giving anything away, can you give me a hint/example/inkling of what was crappy? The twists in the first book were good. The second one just had a twist (the Quarter Quell selection process), but I did kinda see that one coming. And in terms of annoyance rfish...can you give me a tiny clue as to what caused your quota to max out?

I'll probably read it anyway (I'm halfway through the series), but I would like a little heads-up just in case...

PrincessLeppard
01-18-2012, 08:44 PM
I think my main issue with the book is that Katniss spends half of the book unconscious and then says something like "oh, here's what happened while I was out of it."

The main twist comes near the end, when one of the main characters, out of nowhere, is killed through the actions of another main character. I didn't buy it.

moojja
01-18-2012, 09:52 PM
I think my main issue with the book is that Katniss spends half of the book unconscious and then says something like "oh, here's what happened while I was out of it."

The main twist comes near the end, when one of the main characters, out of nowhere, is killed through the actions of another main character. I didn't buy it.

I was fine with it. He didnít choose to kill her sister. We did see him design the bomb earlier in the book. But it wasnít his decision to use it. He didnít even know about the bomb being dropped until afterward.

Overall I liked the 3rd book. But it's depressing. There are parts I really like. You donít see propaganda machine being discussed and used in such detail and cynical way by the good guys. But the entire time, I was hoping she would successfully commit suicide, just so she can have some peace.
And I feel like the ending should be more depressing, instead of they have babies and are sort of happy now. But I understand why the author wrote that ending, the book was depressing enough. Towards the end, thereís no one left to root for. For the characters thereís no way out, they will be stuck in an oppressive form of govt. no matter which side wins. The two choices seem to be dictator or slave. Then for the book to have a sad ending, would be too much for an YA book.

rfisher
01-18-2012, 10:00 PM

And Katniss' entire personality was different. She was whiny and annoying. All her likability from the first book was gone. It was as if Collins suddenly decided she needed more angst and high drama. Frankly, it was as if a different author wrote the books. The plotting wasn't as good, the entire feel of the book was different. I read all 3 books back to back and it was really noticeable. I liked the first, the 2nd was OK, I wouldn't bother if there had been a 4th. Moreover, I probably wouldn't buy any other books by the same author. She got lucky with her first book, but like so many, lost her way with the subsequent attempts.

pamela95
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Kwanatic, Iím in the midst of reading The Hunger Games as well. When my cousin came home for Christmas, she told me I HAD to read The Hunger Games. I was unsure because although I like a lot of YA books, I steer clear of anything that is remotely Twilight-like. My cousin reassured me that it was nothing like Twilight, and so I went out and bought the first book. This weekend I couldnít sleep so I decided to read it. I shouldnít have started it so late. I was up half the night with promises to myself ĎIím going to read just one more chapter.í I then downloaded the next two books (no book stores around here and I didnít want to wait until whenever I next get to the bookstore). I am now about to start part 2 of the 3 book.
The first book is my favourite, though I did like the second book, until the ending. The third book is a little grating, but I still want to know how it ends. Iím hoping to have Mockingjay finished before Friday (since Iím spending my weekend at Nationals).

And Katniss' entire personality was different. She was whiny and annoying. All her likability from the first book was gone. It was as if Collins suddenly decided she needed more angst and high drama. Frankly, it was as if a different author wrote the books. The plotting wasn't as good, the entire feel of the book was different. I read all 3 books back to back and it was really noticeable. I liked the first, the 2nd was OK, I wouldn't bother if there had been a 4th. Moreover, I probably wouldn't buy any other books by the same author. She got lucky with her first book, but like so many, lost her way with the subsequent attempts.

ITA with this. Katniss' change in personality is very noticeable- almost unrecognizable from who she was in the first book.

moojja
01-18-2012, 11:16 PM
ITA with this. Katniss' change in personality is very noticeable- almost unrecognizable from who she was in the first book.

I always thought it's b/c she had a nervous breakdown after the second book and just never really recovered. Emotionally she was pushed to the edged, she had no one she can talk to, no one she can trust. In fact all the adults around her has a hidden agenda and hopes to use her in some way. She's a game piece...in both literal and metaphoric sense.

The first book is also my favorite, b/c there's some hope in the first one. And it's the most enjoyable read, it's like Robinson Cursoe meets Gladiator.

pamela95
01-19-2012, 12:32 AM
I always thought it's b/c she had a nervous breakdown after the second book and just never really recovered.

I really like this interpretation! It would explain a lot. I still can't help but want to slap her sometimes and yell, 'stop whining, look at the big picture and forget about the Peeta thing for one fcuking minute, for the love of god!' Though the nervous breakdown makes lots of sense (I now kind of want to start over with the 3rd book with that in mind, see if it makes the book any better-maybe after I've finished it), it doesn't make for an enjoyable or particularly entertaining read.

rfisher
01-19-2012, 12:58 AM
I tried it. It didn't.

mkats
01-19-2012, 04:00 AM
I just finished reading The Outlander by Gil Adamson, and I have to confess myself disappointed. Her writing is so gorgeous; I kept wanting to copy down some of her metaphors and try and make use of them in my own random writings. But the whole story was just depressing... the widow who murdered her husband is cold, in the woods woods, hungry, keeps running, meets people we don't see again, rinse, repeat. I only put up with the book because I expected there to be some sort of BIG denouement where her brothers-in-law catch up to her and SOMETHING happens, but there's none: One of the brothers-in-law, after having spent the entire book tracking the widow with the intent of making her pay, basically says "meh, I vote we give up" and the other one agrees. End of story!

I feel like all the books I've been reading recently have been so passive and stale in terms of actual plot and happenings. I want ACTION! *stamps foot*

oleada
01-19-2012, 04:11 AM
I finished Heist Society. I loved it. It was just so fun. The writing is quite witty and I think Kat is great main character.

It was like a funner version of Ocean's 11.

kwanatic
01-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks everyone!

I finished Catching Fire last night (I started reading it Sunday evening) so I think I'll take a little break before I devour the next one...just give the first two a moment to soak in.

I liked the 2nd one too, but not as much as the first. However, a whiny Katniss isn't sounding too appealing to me at the moment. Given what happened at the end of the 2nd book, it makes sense that she'd be a bit unstable emotionally--so I'll keep that in mind when I start the last book.

I'm really wondering how the whole Peeta/Gale thing is going to go? By the end of the 2nd it seems like she's falling in love with Peeta, but then with Peeta captured, Gale steps back into the picture. At this point, I'm rooting for Peeta but I'd guess something will happen that might make you want to root for Gale.

At the end of the 2nd book it's apparent that all hell has broken loose within the districts, so it's going to be interesting to see how this resolves itself...but like I said, I'll take a minute before I read the last one.

aliceanne
01-19-2012, 04:10 PM
New Elizabeth George out. Sorry if that's announced upthread. haven't read it yet-I have a copy reserved.

What is the title?

Her books are so dense I often lose the thread of the criminal investigation. I liked the ones about the deaf woman, the animal rights activists, and the psycho classical musician best. I've read them all though.

IceAlisa
01-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Still reading the Catherine II bio. It's good. Again, I am impressed by how much, pretty much everything the Russian writer of the novel on Catherine got right.

Although Massie does add quite a bit more detail and more characters but I can see how in the format of a novel they would have to be condensed.

Catherine's life before she ascended the throne sucked as many of you know. :(