PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Nomad
01-17-2012, 04:20 AM
What, nineteenth century lit doesn't contain enough mayhem for you? You've never read Cranford?

galaxygirl
01-17-2012, 04:21 AM
Um, anyone read a good zombie novel lately? Or at least something with mayhem?

I'm reading Anna Dressed in Blood. So far, she's killed someone by splitting him in half with her bare hands. :)

ETA Anna is a ghost

Matryeshka
01-17-2012, 04:25 AM
Jane Austen's characters made great zombies. :shuffle:

rfisher
01-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Um, anyone read a good zombie novel lately? Or at least something with mayhem?
Yes

Jane Austen's characters made great zombies. :shuffle:

No. 19th Century authors make my eyes twitch.

oleada
01-17-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm reading Heist Society. Yay international teenage thievery! Does that count as mayhem? :P

Fergus
01-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Not much mayhem, but if anyone knows W.T.F. is the point of Hollinghurst's The Stranger's Child, I'm all ears. :slinkaway

Holley Calmes
01-17-2012, 11:47 PM
New Elizabeth George out. Sorry if that's announced upthread. haven't read it yet-I have a copy reserved.

Spinner
01-18-2012, 12:28 AM
I've been so so anticipating this book's release, and LittleBrown decided to send it to stores 2 weeks early. So everyone get out there and read The Snow Child (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11250053-the-snow-child). I picked up my copy today! Weird though, I don't think the ebook will be available for a while still.

rfisher
01-18-2012, 12:44 AM
All fiction requires some suspension of belief, and what annoys me is unpredictable. I'm still listening to Savannah Blues in the car. I was LMAO and yelling at the CD today at a scene where the lovers are naked on a dock in Savannah in the dark. And nary a mention of mosquitoes. A dock on a river mind you. I was able to ignore the failure to have to get home to take the dog out to pee that's been locked up all day, but NO MOSQUITOES? :lol:

Prancer
01-18-2012, 01:51 AM
Not much mayhem, but if anyone knows W.T.F. is the point of Hollinghurst's The Stranger's Child, I'm all ears. :slinkaway

I haven't read it, but I was told it was about how people in general and biographers in particular are not reliable purveyors of truth.

Does that sound like it might be right?

I'm reading a geography textbook. It would be really interesting if it weren't, you know, a textbook.

jlai
01-18-2012, 02:37 AM
I'm reading Death Comes to Pemberley, the Austen sequel. So far okay. Nothing too witty but it's still nice to check up on our dear Lizzy after she's married. :)

aliceanne
01-18-2012, 03:14 PM
If you want modern mayhem with a touch of the supernatural I loved Dean Koontz's "Tick Tock". I run hot and cold on Koontz, but this one was funny, campy, scary, suspenseful. It featured an Asian/American novelist (with a traditional tiger mother) being pursued by a demon doll. He has one night to solve the mystery of the doll or he dies.

kwanatic
01-18-2012, 05:35 PM
It's probably been mentioned already, but I am currently flying through the Hunger Games series. I started the first one Sunday before last and finished it that Friday. I got Catching Fire on Sunday and am halfway through it. I work all day, but if I were home, I'd have been finish with the series in 2 or 3 days. I'll pick up the last one at some point today or tomorrow and I'll probably be done with it some time next week.

Very intriguing story, but something I never would have picked up on my own. My cousin recommended it and bought it for me for Christmas. I'm not big on futuristic sci-fi, so the first 40 or 50 pages were a bit of a chore to get through; after that though, I started flying through it. The concept is very interesting, like "Survivor" meets "Gladiator" and the style of writing makes it easy for me to breeze through. I'm not really a fan of first-person present-tense writing, but Collins makes it work.

Since wasting my life reading Twilight, I'm very leery about reading popular/trending books. The fact that they are releasing a movie soon also put me on the fence about whether I wanted to bother with reading it. After zooming through Hunger Games, I took a minute to think about what I read before I went out to get the 2nd book. I read the Twilight series so fast (all 4 in about a week) that I didn't really think about what I'd read until after the fact...then I got pissed. If I'd stopped and thought about it, I wouldn't have read past the 2nd one. The underlying themes in those books are awful and the way the story ended made me want to punch Stephanie Meyer in the throat. Those are the only books I actually regret reading. (Sorry Twilight fans...) :shuffle:

Well I thought about it, and I've decided I like Hunger Games. The themes in the series are much more substantial, the main character is strong but flawed (always a good combo), and the overall story is really interesting and unique (at least to me b/c I don't generally read stuff like this). The characters are growing and evolving, the story is evolving...it's pretty awesome so far.

The movie looks good too so I'll probably check that out at some point. Hopefully by the time I finish the series my opinion won't have changed. I've read books that are good and then end on a funky note (Fallen was like that for me; IDK what the hell was up with that ending).

PrincessLeppard
01-18-2012, 05:51 PM
This thread is split on the third book of the Hunger Games. I think it's godawful, with the characters undergoing unrealistic personality changes, stupid plot "twists," and the lamest ending ever.

The lesser evolved in this thread think it's good. But what do they know? ;)

rfisher
01-18-2012, 05:56 PM
This thread is split on the third book of the Hunger Games. I think it's godawful, with the characters undergoing unrealistic personality changes, stupid plot "twists," and the lamest ending ever.

The lesser evolved in this thread think it's good. But what do they know? ;)

:rofl: Indeed.

My copy was somewhat worse for wear when I gave it to the library due to being thrown across the room a couple of times. It also took less than a day to read since I skipped 50% of it because my annoyance quota was met within the first chapter.