PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Grannyfan
09-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the link to the $.99 books. Just browsing through the titles I saw one of my all-time favorites, Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. A little mystery, a little fantasy, a little nostalgia, a little humor. Terrific story. I rarely re-read books, but that one I did.

TygerLily
09-18-2011, 09:14 PM
I think you will find that it really picks up at that point. I adore that book. I was fairly bored with it at first, but read the bulk of it in one sitting.Same here! I recall that it might have been an all-nighter.

On an entirely different note, I'm reading the latest JD Robb and am also finding it strong so far (I forget who else already gave a positive review).

I was surprised to hear that people think Roarke is hunky. I find him incredibly bland, though that may be in part because I only started reading the books a couple of years ago and didn't start at the beginning when there (as I've gathered from reading backwards) was some intrigue surrounding him. I do appreciate, though, that their relationship is stable. Compared to the Bones books with all the artificial romantic angst, it's just a relief that there's not some drawn-out Friends-like "will they or won't they" situation. I kinda skip the sex scenes, though, so maybe his hunkiness comes out in those parts. :shuffle:

ETA: Regarding Middlesex, maybe I should mention that I'm fascinated by gender and sexuality, so I'm often fascinated by books others might find boring, like Olive Skene Johnson's The Sexual Spectrum: Exploring Human Diversity. For fiction, another favourite is Rose Tremain's Sacred Country. Rita Mae Brown's earlier works were illuminating for me as an unworldly small-town girl.

And then there's my whole fascination with women masquerading as men to make it in a man's world. Brown's High Hearts is my favourite romance book, though I'm sure it's not her best novel (Rubyfruit Jungle?). Even in YA, I can be pretty predictable as Tamora Pierce's Alana quartet is another rereader. Yeah, yeah, and Janet Lunn's The Root Cellar. I'm just a sucker for these plot lines.

rfisher
09-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Same here! I recall that it might have been an all-nighter.

On an entirely different note, I'm reading the latest JD Robb and am also finding it strong so far (I forget who else already gave a positive review).

I was surprised to hear that people think Roarke is hunky. I find him incredibly bland, though that may be in part because I only started reading the books a couple of years ago and didn't start at the beginning when there (as I've gathered from reading backwards) was some intrigue surrounding him. I do appreciate, though, that their relationship is stable. Compared to the Bones books with all the artificial romantic angst, it's just a relief that there's not some drawn-out Friends-like "will they or won't they" situation. I kinda skip the sex scenes, though, so maybe his hunkiness comes out in those parts. :shuffle:

IMHO, the best part of the Eve/Roarke story is the evolving relationship. Each book is a month or so apart (roughly). This is one series that is really best read in order to appreciate the story lines for all the major characters including Mavis (and her hubby and kid), Peabody/McNabb, Feeney, Dr. Mira, Eve's relationship with Crack, Nadine, the commander and even Trina. And, of course, Summerset. Even Baxter and Trueheart have a backstory. You learn a little more about one or the other with each successive book. She even did one with Roarke's admin Caro as a central character. Some of the books are more tightly plotted than others. The latest is one of her better efforts, although I hope this wraps up a storyline that has needed to be taken care of for a long time. I sort of wondered if Roberts/Robb was considering retirement and was moving toward wrapping up the series. I figure it'll end when Eve finally decides to have a child. She'll quit and Peabody will move to lead detective.

TygerLily
09-18-2011, 09:32 PM
IMHO, the best part of the Eve/Roarke story is the evolving relationship. I agree, and wish I'd realized that sooner than I did. Once I realized that the chronology was important, I did go back and order them from the library in approximate order, but I missed a few. It's still fun to go back and read one of them and discover why things are the way they are in the present book. I was :eek: and :watch: when I read about McNab and Peabody's early dynamics after knowing them as a couple for so long.

Kasey
09-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Damn you Prancer. I may have just ordered a dozen or so more books.

Prancer
09-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Damn you Prancer. I may have just ordered a dozen or so more books.

:encore:

I must say, though, that it is amazing how those "cheap" books can add up to a less than cheap credit card statement :shuffle:.

Allen
09-18-2011, 09:50 PM
:encore:

I must say, though, that it is amazing how those "cheap" books can add up to a less than cheap credit card statement :shuffle:.

I know that's right. I kept saying, oh, these books are only .99 or 2.99 for Kindle. Then I realized I had spent 50 bunks in one go of it.

Allen
09-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Anyone read Richelle Mead's Succubus Blues? It was 2 bucks for Kindle and I thought about giving it a go as it seems like a quick, breezy read.

BigB08822
09-19-2011, 04:20 AM
You might want to check out Alibris' 99 cent sale, too: http://www.alibris.com/discount-books?cm_sp=navSales-_-discount-_-na

I can't believe Larsson's The Girl series is already priced that low. It seems like I just shelled out for the hardbacks a month or so ago.

Ugh! I just bought those two books a few weeks ago in a half off sale on B&N but that wasn't even close to 99 cents! Should have waited.

Marge_Simpson
09-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Don't feel bad, I bought TGWKTHN in hardcover because I was desperate to read it and there were about 100 people ahead of me on the library's waiting list.

Buzz
09-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Leningrad: Tragedy of a city under siege. The title of this book speaks for itself. I am stil on my war time book reading stint. I have read many books on the war in the library but this one is brand new and worth the read. It tells the story of the siege through war time diaries, and blames Soviet indifference and incompetence as much for the siege as the Nazis. Below is a review of the book from the dailymail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-2032706/BEYOND-HORROR-They-ate-cats-sawdust-wallpaper-paste--babies-Leningrads-agony-Nazis-tried-starve-submission-LENINGRAD-TRAGEDY-OF-A-CITY-UNDER-SIEGE-1941-44-BY-ANNA-REID.html

peibeck
09-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Sorry if it's already been discussed, but it you are a fan of theatre, Patti LuPone's "A Memoir" is a fun read, with lots of snark... especially based around Andrew Lloyd Webber and her experience with "Sunset Blvd."

Erin
09-20-2011, 03:59 AM
Has anyone read Jane Lynch's autobiography? I love Jane Lynch, but never know how that will translate to a book (see the discussion on Bossypants from the prior thread).

Right now I am reading a book written by my ex, which is on Saskatchewan public policy. It's very well written and impressive that he wrote it (plus I was mentioned in the acknowledgements :D) but we have somewhat different politics, so it's sometimes a bit of a frustrating read because I want to argue with the book!

Nomad
09-20-2011, 05:34 AM
Slutty Brit won the coin toss. To Bed with Grand Music is keeping me entertained on the Metro. I can't say I like the heroine, but, by the same token, I can't quite blame her since her husband pretty much told her he'd cheat on her while he was Over There.

VALuvsMKwan
09-20-2011, 05:46 AM
Sorry if it's already been discussed, but it you are a fan of theatre, Patti LuPone's "A Memoir" is a fun read, with lots of snark... especially based around Andrew Lloyd Webber and her experience with "Sunset Blvd."

You mean when she got ditched for Glenn Close? Hee. :shuffle: