PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

zaphyre14
01-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm finally on the last cassette of Trevanian's "Shibumi." He's managed to kill off every interesting character (except one, and if she survives, I'll be stunned) and the anti-hero has survived more near-death experiences than James Bond. The villain comes across like a American Snidely Whiplash; I hope he meets his Doom due to his own stupidity rather than just getting shot, If this wasn't an audio and the only one I have in the car at the moment. I've have given up on it long ago.

My goal for this weekend is to sort through my TBR box and grab something - anything! - lighter than what I've been reading.

Fergus
01-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Just started Andrew Marr's The Real Elizabeth. :biggrinbo

Cachoo
01-05-2012, 11:36 PM
I am about to finish "Berlin Diary" by William Shirer. Shirer was one of the few journalists shouting from the rooftops about Hitler from the mid-30's to the war (when he could get past the censors.) You really sense his sadness for anyone in Germany who was not a Nazi and his frustration with the censors and with those outside of Germany who let Hitler do whatever he desired. Like Churchill, he knew exactly what was coming. I always thought of his life in Europe as cosmopolitan but at times he was near despair.

IceAlisa
01-06-2012, 12:05 AM
~ the complete Jeeves collection (P.G. Wodehouse)
Where to start?!

I just requested this from the library.

I've only managed to read only a few pages of Shirley over the last several days and love the snarky tone so far.

PrincessLeppard
01-06-2012, 12:53 AM
I got Monsters of Men from the library here at school. It's the third book in the Chaos Walking series. I thought the end of the Ask and the Answer dragged a bit (so much dithering :blah: ), but still looking forward to finishing the series.

Quoting myself because GAH! Here is a summary of the first 70 pages: Todd! Viola! Todd! Viola! Don't hurt her or I will kill you! You can't kill! Todd! Viola!

All the dithering at the end of book two has spilled over into book three. I skipped to the end of the book and the last thirty pages are the same. :scream:

I just want to know what was in Todd's mother's journal. :wuzrobbed

BigB08822
01-06-2012, 05:10 AM
I read the first book in the Wizard of Oz series by Frank L. Baum, the originals. It was good, very easy and quick reading. I read the entire book in less than 2 hours and I am sure some of you could do it much faster. It was fun though to read the differences from the movie and to read about the parts left out. I am interested to go into the rest of the books which the movie does not touch on.

flyingsit
01-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Brian, I have loved the Wizard of Oz series since I was a child. I still have the hard copies from then, and they were some of the first ebooks I downloaded onto my ipad. I can read each one in about 75 minutes or so.

Right now I'm reading The Truth-Teller's Lie. I don't even remember why I put it in my queue but it is interesting, has anyone else read it?

Holley Calmes
01-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Getting through Peter James-I've read four now, and he is an extremely readable and enjoyable writer of fast-paced and somewhat lurid crime fiction. I love his protagonist, Roy Grace. I find them more enjoyable than most American male authors of the same genre, don't know why. Maybe I just like British settings.

mkats
01-06-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm reading "The Mystery of Breathing". It's intriguing, a little depressing at times, and I find that I generally can't go with it for more than an hour before getting too depressed and having to do something else. I'm about 3/4 of the way through and we've known for awhile who's the culprit, but we seem to be no closer to getting anything resolved...

Tomorrow's Saturday! I think I will head to my library, get a pile of all the books I've been wanting to get for awhile, and just find myself a nice chair and read all day.

Grannyfan
01-07-2012, 05:01 AM
I am about to finish "Berlin Diary" by William Shirer. Shirer was one of the few journalists shouting from the rooftops about Hitler from the mid-30's to the war (when he could get past the censors.) You really sense his sadness for anyone in Germany who was not a Nazi and his frustration with the censors and with those outside of Germany who let Hitler do whatever he desired. Like Churchill, he knew exactly what was coming. I always thought of his life in Europe as cosmopolitan but at times he was near despair.

You would probably enjoy In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. It's centered on 1933 and a man named William Dodd, who was sent to Germany as U.S. ambassador that year. Larson's nonfiction always reads like a novel, and this book is very enlightening and interesting.

Buzz
01-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I want to add "What To Expect When You're Expecting" to my list of books to read. Saw the trailer for the movie and it looks sooo funny!

PrincessLeppard
01-07-2012, 02:20 PM
You would probably enjoy In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. It's centered on 1933 and a man named William Dodd, who was sent to Germany as U.S. ambassador that year. Larson's nonfiction always reads like a novel, and this book is very enlightening and interesting.

It second this motion. Excellent book. I'm trying to get it added to the curriculum of Literature of the Holocaust class.

I want to add "What To Expect When You're Expecting" to my list of books to read. Saw the trailer for the movie and it looks sooo funny!

I'm guessing unless there's a book tie-in with the movie, you don't want to read the actual book with that title. Unless you are expecting. :)

IceAlisa
01-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Charlotte Bronte LIED!!!! Or LEID, whatever you prefer.

In the opening paragraph she wrote the book will be mundane as Monday morning, swore up and down there will be no romance. And indeed, the first few chapters are dry and wonderfully snarky. I also enjoyed the discourse on the Luddite revolts and the effects of the Napoleonic war on England.

Then there was a great scene of two gentlemen arguing about politics that was not unlike some of our debates in PI. :shuffle: Some things never change.

And then I am smacked with a maudlin chapter where Caroline Helstone is sick with puppy love for her cousin.

Ms. Bronte said "NO ROMANCE!" Oh well, I should have known, this is Charlotte Bronte after all, who was enamored with George Sand's creations. Nuff said. :snort:

Nomad
01-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Apparently Charlotte's definition of "romantic" differed from yours. I liked Shirley okay, but thought Villette was better.

Buzz
01-07-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm guessing unless there's a book tie-in with the movie, you don't want to read the actual book with that title. Unless you are expecting. :)

oyyyy... Now that is just too bad 'cause the movie trailer looks like so much fun. Hopefully there will be a book tie in. :slinkaway