PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PrincessLeppard
01-04-2012, 12:41 AM
I gave up on Crossed. If those two morons die of starvation in the canyon, that would be awesome. It might make it hard to write the sequel, but it's the fate they deserve. :mad:

So, today, I've blown through 434 pages of The Ask and the Answer. Good story. No morons. :P And I like that there is ambiguity even within the "good" and "bad" guys.

Prancer
01-04-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm basing my estimate on standard book pages - the font can be bigger or smaller, of course, but generally falls within a small range.

Huh. I've noticed a lot of variation myself, but.....

I would say a read at least 400 words a minute

Hmmmm.

Industry average for fiction is 350 words per page. 30 pages * 350 words = 10500 words. 10500 words/60 minutes=175 words per minute.

400 words per minute * 60 minutes = 24000 words an hour/350 words per page=68 pages an hour.

Of course, that's just using an average word count, which, as we agreed, varies. And math isn't my strong suit, so I could be calculating this all wrong. I am sure someone will tell me if I am :P. But even allowing for differences in words per page, 400 words a minute seems a wee bit high if you read 30 pages an hour.

Spinner
01-04-2012, 02:55 AM
I try to keep up with what's happening in my industry as much as I can, and I got this link earlier today. From The Millions (http://www.themillions.com), their Most Anticipated Books of 2012, Part 1 (http://www.themillions.com/2012/01/most-anticipated-the-great-2012-book-preview.html). Yup, Tana French in July, Toni Morrison in May, Essays collection from Marilynne Robinson in March, and a Christopher Hitchens memoir in April. Enjoy! :)

oleada
01-04-2012, 03:49 AM
I try to keep up with what's happening in my industry as much as I can, and I got this link earlier today. From The Millions (http://www.themillions.com), their Most Anticipated Books of 2012, Part 1 (http://www.themillions.com/2012/01/most-anticipated-the-great-2012-book-preview.html). Yup, Tana French in July, Toni Morrison in May, Essays collection from Marilynne Robinson in March, and a Christopher Hitchens memoir in April. Enjoy! :)

Thank you so much! There are quite a few that appeal to me, especially:

No One Is Here Except All of Us by Ramona Ausubel
Enchantments by Kathryn Harrison
The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger
Laura Lamontís Life in Pictures by Emma Straub

And of course, I'm looking forward to that Snow Child book you keep mentioning :)

PrincessLeppard
01-04-2012, 04:04 AM
Where are the zombie books, bint?

Spinner
01-04-2012, 04:09 AM

There are none. Only heartwarming Sparks-esque love stories for you! :P

Spinner
01-04-2012, 04:12 AM

But I did find one book (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12266205-how-to-eat-a-cupcake) coming soon, just for you.

BigB08822
01-04-2012, 04:19 AM
But I did find one book (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12266205-how-to-eat-a-cupcake) coming soon, just for you.

:rofl:

IceAlisa
01-04-2012, 06:46 AM
As well as nearly everything you ever wanted to know about foot binding :scream:

I've heard about that and this has been among my reservations. Not sure why, but I am feeling a bit squeamish about this and I am not, normally. I don't mind disease or deformity but I mind violence very much and foot binding is a violent act.

However, I've also heard it's being made into a movie, so I plan to read it before the movie comes out.

I am feeling a bit bruised after finishing Nothing To Envy. Here you can't hide behind "oh, it's just fiction" excuse; it's real and it's happening right now. I highly recommend the book, though.

If there is just one thing I could relate to in the book, it's the nausea and dizziness I'd experienced when I first stood at the entrance of an American supermarket--the sensory overload was unbearable. But I am just fine now, although I still prefer the smaller and more manageable Trader Joe's. :)

So I need a major change of pace and have read a few opening lines of Shirley. I like the snarky tone, so Wyliefan, I am taking your suggestion. :P

Japanfan
01-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Industry average for fiction is 350 words per page. 30 pages * 350 words = 10500 words. 10500 words/60 minutes=175 words per minute.

400 words per minute * 60 minutes = 24000 words an hour/350 words per page=68 pages an hour.

Of course, that's just using an average word count, which, as we agreed, varies. And math isn't my strong suit, so I could be calculating this all wrong. I am sure someone will tell me if I am :P. But even allowing for differences in words per page, 400 words a minute seems a wee bit high if you read 30 pages an hour.

Yes, I can see I'm contradicting myself.

When I think of 200 words per minute, I think in terms of there being 250-300 words on a standard double spaced 8 X 11 page. I work with text in this format for my job and proofread one page of clean copy in about three minutes. And yeah, I often can read those pages in a minute, though sometimes it probably takes longer depending on the text.

ETA: I just time myself for an hour - I read 35 book pages. The font is about as small as book font gets, a bit too small for me but still readable, and the material is medium density. And I was reading at what I consider a relaxed page and took the time to check back on a few duties. So, 30 is probably my minimum pages per hour when it comes to books for pleasure reading.

But that type of reading is different than reading a book for pleasure. And perhaps I average more than 30 pages of a book per hour. Probably I should time myself. . .and when I read for pleasure, I often wish I read more slowly, so the book would last longer.

Finnice
01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
I love Barbara Wilson, even though her main character in the Pam Nilsen series is a dingbat that I always want to take my the shoulders and shake a bit. Murder in the Collective is such a time capsule about '80s activism, and about a Seattle that's long gone.

Her Cassandra Reilly series is better. Trouble in Transylvania makes me want to travel, and Gaudi Afternoon was even made into a movie with Marcia Gay Harden, Lili Taylor, Judy Davis and Juliette Lewis!

Good old Barbara Wilson! I even met her once and made an interwiew, when she visited Finland ages ago. Is she still writing? I remember her as a charming and warm person.

(Although she lets some horrible things happen to Pat.)

rfisher
01-04-2012, 12:24 PM
There are none. Only heartwarming Sparks-esque love stories for you! :P

GAG. At least Elmore Leonard has a new Raylan Givins coming out this year. Luckily, I still have a huge stack of stuff I bought during the Boarders sales.

Evilynn
01-04-2012, 02:49 PM
The average person reads about 200 words a minute, which is roughly the same number of words a person can read out loud. Faster readers simply absorb text differently; they are not "reading out loud" in their heads but visually comprehending the text, which is why it's faster.

My son is taking speed reading this year; when he started the class, he read about 230 words a minute just normally. He reads about 280 words a minute now and rarely if ever gets less than 100% on reading comprehension tests. I am not sure how they teach the class; he isn't inclined to talk about anything school related.

I'm one of those visual people. Back in school I tested 260 words a minute with 100% comprehension (we had a speed reading test, although we didn't actually practise speed reading beforehand). I read slightly slower if I'm reading for fun, but I'm still a lot faster than "reading aloud in my head" (which I will occasionally do if the prose is particularly beautiful or dense). Some non-fiction I read a lot faster than fiction, simply because there's no wish to stop and look at the scenery, so to speak. ;)

I picked up Sheri Tepper's The Gate to Women's Country (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/104344.The_Gate_to_Women_s_Country) yesterday, hoping that it'll fit a task about dark religion on the reading challenge I'm taking, but I'm not overly hopeful, so if anyone else has any book recommendation regarding books that contains "dark religion", I'd be happy to hear them. :)

aliceanne
01-04-2012, 04:08 PM
I've heard about that and this has been among my reservations. Not sure why, but I am feeling a bit squeamish about this and I am not, normally. I don't mind disease or deformity but I mind violence very much and foot binding is a violent act.

However, I've also heard it's being made into a movie, so I plan to read it before the movie comes out.

I am feeling a bit bruised after finishing Nothing To Envy. Here you can't hide behind "oh, it's just fiction" excuse; it's real and it's happening right now. I highly recommend the book, though.

If there is just one thing I could relate to in the book, it's the nausea and dizziness I'd experienced when I first stood at the entrance of an American supermarket--the sensory overload was unbearable. But I am just fine now, although I still prefer the smaller and more manageable Trader Joe's. :)

So I need a major change of pace and have read a few opening lines of Shirley. I like the snarky tone, so Wyliefan, I am taking your suggestion. :P

I'd be curious to hear what you think of Caroline Helstone and Shirley, after you have read the whole thing.

Snow Flower has a lot of sadness, but it also has an interesting take on female sexuality and perserverance. The heroine is no shrinking violet in spite of conforming to her limited social role.

Wyliefan
01-04-2012, 04:11 PM

Oh good! :) I want to hear all about it!