PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Michalle
01-03-2012, 04:31 AM
Just finished it ... I wouldn't consider the ending the annoying part. More like 2/3 of the way in. And, ok, at the end when the narrator was all "see? I laid it out the way I discovered it. How could anyone have known?!?" when it was obvious fairly quickly who was behind the sickness at the very least, and that character was completely nlikeable from the start. And the character was so nconsistent I was wondering how the hell the book had won and award with such a glaring problem...until it was explained away. Also stupid to have Cass and sam getting married.

There was a chapter of the next book (not the one with the same characters), so now I'm hooked and have to get it.

Oh my gosh, the book must have annoyed me so much that I hardly remember what happened or who the characters are. What pissed me off was that I figured out who killed the victim in the present pretty much right away and what interested me was what actually happened int he woods. About halfway through I realized she probably didn't know (the author) and I got so angry! And I was right! I just think it was such a copout. I'm sure that some people were like, oh, that's so brave, but I just thought it was sort of lazy. It was so frustrating that the part that I actually cared about was the part that wasn't resolved. Was Sam the cop? Do you mean that they slept together? I don't remember anyone getting married.

genevieve
01-03-2012, 04:45 AM
its mentioned that it takes place after the story ends.

IceAlisa
01-03-2012, 04:58 AM
I am almost done with Nothing To Envy, needless to say it's heartbreaking. :fragile:

What should I read next out of these:

On The Chinese Screen by Somerset Maugham

Shirley by Charlotte Bronte

Snow Flower And The Secret Fan by Lisa See

The Provincial Lady In Russia by E.M. Delafield

Angels And Insects by A.S. Byatt

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

?

danceronice
01-03-2012, 05:14 AM
Shotgunned "Lord of the Rings" this week, and am 3/4 of the way through "The Hobbit."

agalisgv
01-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Sorry, but a book a day is extraordinary. There are many speed readers out there, but most people would be hard-pressed to name someone they know who could do this. Really?

I'm not a speed reader by any means (wish I was), but in school I was sometimes assigned 9-12 books/week. You had to read more than a book a day to get through.

I've always considered myself a slow reader personally (compared to others), so I don't know :shrug:

BigB08822
01-03-2012, 05:40 AM
You can get the complete Wizard of Oz set (15 books, I think) for less than a dollar on both Nook and Kindle. I think it must be old enough to no longer have copyright or whatever they call it. I have never read the original stories, very excited. Lots of reading for very little money.

Spinner
01-03-2012, 06:09 AM
A good book is something I want to savour, not rush through.
I 100% agree. I've often thought about learning to speed read, but then I so enjoy the experience of living in a book while reading it. I think my pace suits me just fine.

Books I really liked: Thirteenth Tale, The Book Thief/ Zusak, The Stand/King, Beach Music/Conroy, The Prince of Tides/Conroy, The Color of Water/James Mcbride, The Shell Seekers, The Thornbirds, One Child/Torey L. Hayden, Bean Tree & Poisonwood Bible/Barbara Kingsolver, Rebecca/Dumaurier. The Kite Runner & A Thousand Splendid Suns/ Hosseini. And of course To Kill A Mockingbird.
oooo, all good stuff! Thanks for sharing! :)

I finished Alice LaPlante's Turn of Mind, a Spinner recommendation. I thought it being written from someone's decaying mind was brilliant. That said, I had a little difficulty connecting with the characters and I wasn't totally surprised by what happened in the murder. I guess I am not a huge mystery buff. :shuffle: But I picked up The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (another Spinner rec) which I am absolutely loving :kickass:

I am reading it in Spanish. It's good because my mother was appalled at how terrible my Spanish grammar and spelling have gotten. It's true - I never read or write in Spanish anymore. So this is a nice challenge.I sort of felt the same about the characters in Turn of Mind, but then I figured that was the point of the way she wrote the novel. Descension into Alzheimer's is a zig-zaggy disconnected journey and LaPlante's narrative conveyed that so thoroughly for me.
And as for The Shadow of the Wind, YAY! :cheer2: Glad you're loving it so far! This is one of my very favorite books. :) I'm intrigued what you think of his original Spanish work. Lucia Graves' English translation so wonderfully conveyed Zafon's beautiful writing, I found myself re-reading paragraphs and pages quite frequently. Not to spoil too much, but let me know when you get to Nuria's letter. The last paragraph brought tears.

Spinner
01-03-2012, 06:12 AM
You can get the complete Wizard of Oz set (15 books, I think) for less than a dollar on both Nook and Kindle. I think it must be old enough to no longer have copyright or whatever they call it. I have never read the original stories, very excited. Lots of reading for very little money.

You can also get the complete Sherlock Holmes stories for around $2-3 as well, at least I did on my Nook.

Japanfan
01-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Really?

I'm not a speed reader by any means (wish I was), but in school I was sometimes assigned 9-12 books/week. You had to read more than a book a day to get through.

I've always considered myself a slow reader personally (compared to others), so I don't know :shrug:

How many pages can you read in an hour? For me I think it is about 30, give or take a few depending on the complexity and density of the material. And I think I'm a faster reader than the average person. And when say 30, I mean reading 30 pages thoroughly.

Skim reading is a different thing altogether. When a had huge amounts of reading to do in university, I pretty much skim read most of the time. But when you know to skim read properly, it often serves.

my little pony
01-03-2012, 07:49 AM
I am almost done with Nothing To Envy, needless to say it's heartbreaking. :fragile:

What should I read next out of these:

On The Chinese Screen by Somerset Maugham

Shirley by Charlotte Bronte

Snow Flower And The Secret Fan by Lisa See

The Provincial Lady In Russia by E.M. Delafield

Angels And Insects by A.S. Byatt

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

?

I am always going to vote for the Byatt

Evilynn
01-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I am always going to vote for the Byatt

...and I for the Atwood. ;) I kinda want to read the Byatt now though! (alas I'm in the middle of a reading challenge and it won't fit any of the tasks. Drat.)

I can read a book in a day, no problem (sometimes more than one, if it's short and/or sort of fluffy), but I would have problems reading a book a day for 365 days in a row and still enjoy the experience. I read 66 books last year (which surprised me, I thought I'd get through about 50-55 as usual), but I think reading 6 Rachel Caine novels in a row helped up the tally. :shuffle: I don't do yearly book challenges anymore after getting stressed out one year of doing the 50 books a year challenge, but I will take up reading challenges every now and then. Right now I'm in the middle of a winter reading challenge in the Dark Fiction group over on Goodreads. :)

Fergus
01-03-2012, 01:39 PM
^ Byatt, indeed.

I've got her The Children's Book sitting in my "To Read" pile.

Finnice
01-03-2012, 01:40 PM
^ Byatt, indeed.

I've got her The Children's Book sitting in my "To Read" pile.

I am currently reading it (in Finnish, though). Great, great literature!

agalisgv
01-03-2012, 02:17 PM
How many pages can you read in an hour? I don't know--I haven't timed it.

I read primarily academic books/non-fiction, for better or worse. And as you say, the density of the material matters a lot. Fiction tends to goes much faster for me. A Mary Higgins Clark book I can finish in 45-60 minutes. She's quite fluffy though. Harry Potter took much longer--for 700-800 pages, that took around 6 hours I think. Been awhile, so it's hard to remember precisely.

Anyhow, my only point was I do know a lot of people who can (and do) read a book a day while not being retired, so I didn't think it extraordinary. Neither here nor there really...

Prancer
01-03-2012, 02:23 PM

Yes, and you can't just skim the material, either, because you are expected to do a deep reading of the text. I wouldn't say I ever did that at that rate, but I couldn't just skip through the text, either.

How many pages can you read in an hour?

Wouldn't there be a lot of variables involved in that, like font size, margins and difficulty of text?

The average person reads about 200 words a minute, which is roughly the same number of words a person can read out loud. Faster readers simply absorb text differently; they are not "reading out loud" in their heads but visually comprehending the text, which is why it's faster.

My son is taking speed reading this year; when he started the class, he read about 230 words a minute just normally. He reads about 280 words a minute now and rarely if ever gets less than 100% on reading comprehension tests. I am not sure how they teach the class; he isn't inclined to talk about anything school related.

I have no idea how fast I read; my husband often accuses me of skimming material that I am reading at what I consider a normal speed. But I have to say that it is not at all unusual for me to read a book a day, depending, of course, on what else I have to do. On vacation, I can easily do a book a day if the book is good; I've often done two and occasionally three, but only when I have nothing at all else to do.

I 100% agree. I've often thought about learning to speed read, but then I so enjoy the experience of living in a book while reading it. I think my pace suits me just fine.

Not me. If I am reading a really good book that has me in its grip, I can't read it fast enough. If I am not particularly caught up in a story, well, it can take me a long time to read. For example, yesterday, I finished one decent book I had started the day before, read a whole mystery that was pretty good and slogged through a few paragraphs of a textbook that I might finish sometime before August if I can force myself to finish it :P.

Also, if we are talking about cheap books, there are loads of freebies (http://the-cheap.net/category/freebies/)for Nook owners right now, including several in B&N's classics line, which is really well done for the e-readers: http://the-cheap.net/2011/08/23/ten-freebie-bn-classics/ The Complete Sherlock Holmes is free there.