PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Buzz
01-02-2012, 01:25 PM
I had someone tell me with a straight face that he reads a book a day. How? Because he downloads audio books for free and listens to them at work. LOL That is his version of reading a book a day. To me that is listening to a book a day not reading. LOL

galaxygirl
01-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't see how anyone can read a book a day unless they are retired and even then I would have to keep to low grade level books for easy and quick reading. I could never get through a heavy book in a day even if I did have the entire day to dedicate to reading. Then again, people would probably choke at the amount of times I post on a message board over the course of a year. :shuffle:

I used to work with someone who read a book a day. She was reading romance novels and she carried them with her. Whenever she had even a couple of minutes of down time, she'd read her book.

Spinner
01-02-2012, 05:48 PM
A book a day isn't extraordinary IMO--especially for fiction. Reading is like anything--the more you do it, the better/more efficient you get at it. When I do research, I go through at least five books a weekend.

I don't read much fiction nowadays, but when I read Harry Potter, I could make it through two of those a day, and that was reading them pretty closely.Sorry, but a book a day is extraordinary. There are many speed readers out there, but most people would be hard-pressed to name someone they know who could do this.

BigB08822
01-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Sorry, but a book a day is extraordinary. There are many speed readers out there, but most people would be hard-pressed to name someone they know who could do this.

I am with you, Spinner. I am one of those people who can read but be thinking of something completely different while reading. I will go a page or more and realize I have been day dreaming about what I am going to eat for dinner and then I have to go back and read the page again. I can't zoom through a book and I don't even consider myself a slow reader.

Jenny
01-02-2012, 06:58 PM
A good book is something I want to savour, not rush through.

Cachoo
01-02-2012, 07:40 PM
^this^

galaxygirl
01-02-2012, 07:46 PM

Exactly. I read books that I want to 'inhabit' so it's counterproductive for me to rush through a book.

modern_muslimah
01-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Sorry, but a book a day is extraordinary. There are many speed readers out there, but most people would be hard-pressed to name someone they know who could do this.

I've seen my husband do it. It always amazes me. Sometimes, I'll quiz him just to see if he is really reading the book because I find it hard to believe he can read that fast. The even crazier part is that he doesn't normally read fiction (I know it takes me longer to read non-fiction because I may scribble in the margins or just take more time to make mental notes). A lot of books that may take me a day or two to read, he could read in a couple of hours. He's such a show off! :lol:

modern_muslimah
01-02-2012, 08:30 PM

Yeah, if I read a book too fast I just can't savor it. This isn't to say that other people can't but I need time to process books and I normally can't do that in a day.

nursebetty
01-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Books I really liked: Thirteenth Tale, The Book Thief/ Zusak, The Stand/King, Beach Music/Conroy, The Prince of Tides/Conroy, The Color of Water/James Mcbride, The Shell Seekers, The Thornbirds, One Child/Torey L. Hayden, Bean Tree & Poisonwood Bible/Barbara Kingsolver, Rebecca/Dumaurier. The Kite Runner & A Thousand Splendid Suns/ Hosseini. And of course To Kill A Mockingbird.

oleada
01-02-2012, 09:33 PM

I agree.

I finished Alice LaPlante's Turn of Mind, a Spinner recommendation. I thought it being written from someone's decaying mind was brilliant. That said, I had a little difficulty connecting with the characters and I wasn't totally surprised by what happened in the murder. I guess I am not a huge mystery buff. :shuffle: But I picked up The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (another Spinner rec) which I am absolutely loving :kickass:

I am reading it in Spanish. It's good because my mother was appalled at how terrible my Spanish grammar and spelling have gotten. It's true - I never read or write in Spanish anymore. So this is a nice challenge.

BigB08822
01-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I have a $50 Barnes and Noble gift card so I need to begin taking recommendations again. If anyone reads any good books make sure to come and tell us. I need to go back through the last few pages and makes notes of the latest must reads from you guys.

genevieve
01-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Into the Woods is good, but I warn you, I thought the ending was super annoying.

Just finished it ... I wouldn't consider the ending the annoying part. More like 2/3 of the way in. And, ok, at the end when the narrator was all "see? I laid it out the way I discovered it. How could anyone have known?!?" when it was obvious fairly quickly who was behind the sickness at the very least, and that character was completely nlikeable from the start. And the character was so nconsistent I was wondering how the hell the book had won and award with such a glaring problem...until it was explained away. Also stupid to have Cass and sam getting married.

There was a chapter of the next book (not the one with the same characters), so now I'm hooked and have to get it.

rjblue
01-03-2012, 02:12 AM
I can read five or six hundred pages a day, if I'm not needed for something else (says wife and mother of three). The first time I went to the library, I took out 6 books-children's chapter books- and returned with them later that day all excited to get some more. The librarian yelled at me and I didn't return to the library for three years.

However, I can't read with the TV on, so I mostly look at stuff online, unless my husband falls asleep enough for me to turn the noisebox off. So most of my reading in recent years is speculative fiction short stories that I read at bedtime. I prefer to read a story, whether it be a short short or an epic novel, all in one sitting, so I have to be really interested in a novel to carry it over several night's reading.

BigB08822
01-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Why did the librarian yell at you? That was rude!