PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Buzz
01-01-2012, 07:08 PM
I got through 53 last year, and there were times I was pretty damned lazy and didn't read at all. 60 should be easy. Bring it.

WOW! Now that is a lot of books! I no longer read as much as I use too.

PrincessLeppard
01-01-2012, 07:19 PM
I got through 53 last year, and there were times I was pretty damned lazy and didn't read at all. 60 should be easy. Bring it.

Wheee! Of course, I have to finished wading through effing Crossed, since I started it yesterday. There should be a way to go into a book and bitch-slap a character.

rfisher
01-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Do you, um, have to actually read all a book to count? How many books do two chapters and toss equal? :saint:

galaxygirl
01-01-2012, 07:37 PM

No kidding. I know someone who read about 150 books last year. Of course, she's retired and doesn't watch tv. My goal this year is 20. :lol:

PrincessLeppard
01-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Do you, um, have to actually read all a book to count? How many books do two chapters and toss equal? :saint:

How many chapters total? Twenty? Then you get 1/10 of a book. ;)

Spinner
01-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Wheee! Of course, I have to finished wading through effing Crossed, since I started it yesterday. There should be a way to go into a book and bitch-slap a character.

You should stop reading popular dystopian YA stuff. :P Both Matched and Crossed sell like crazy, as does The Hunger Games trilogy.

And do not--I repeat--DO NOT read Shatter Me. It was also uber-hyped before its release. So I read the ARC I got and wanted to sue someone for the 3 days I lost reading it. Over-used and RIDICULOUS metaphors ("my ears snapped off" when boy-crush said something nice to her :scream: ) and well, let's just say there's already X-Men, and THEY'RE CALLED THE FCUKING X-MEN!! :mad:

Spinner
01-01-2012, 10:38 PM

Thanks, but most people I know in book circles on Twitter put me to shame. Many neared 100 and one did a book a day :wideeyes:

nursebetty
01-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Have to agree about The Stand, I could not put it down. Thanks for all the suggestions, sorry I don't add much, but will try to come up a list of my favorites.

rfisher
01-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks, but most people I know in book circles on Twitter put me to shame. Many neared 100 and one did a book a day :wideeyes:

Ha. I'm betting they used my method. Read chapter one and two than the last and decide the middle wasn't worth the time unless 1 and 2 really engage you enough to continue. It's the book agent/editor method. :lol:

PrincessLeppard
01-01-2012, 11:08 PM
You should stop reading popular dystopian YA stuff.

I did like Shipbreaker a great deal. :) You can recommend that and not feel guilty. ;)

Thanks for the warning on Shatter Me :scream:

Spinner
01-01-2012, 11:20 PM
I did like Shipbreaker a great deal. :) You can recommend that and not feel guilty. ;)

Thanks for the warning on Shatter Me :scream:

I've heard good things about Shipbreaker from other smart readers too. And as for Shatter Me, I still sit in amazement at the slobbery "OMG this book blew me away!" reviews on Goodreads. :scream: x infinity

BigB08822
01-02-2012, 05:29 AM
I don't see how anyone can read a book a day unless they are retired and even then I would have to keep to low grade level books for easy and quick reading. I could never get through a heavy book in a day even if I did have the entire day to dedicate to reading. Then again, people would probably choke at the amount of times I post on a message board over the course of a year. :shuffle:

Kasey
01-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Anyone giving themselves a reading challenge this year? I like using www.goodreads.com for their yearly quantity challenge. Made my goal last year and upped it by 10 this year to read 60 overall. I figure with my work schedule, 5 per month is achievable. I also want to tackle The Stand--unedited. 1400 pages :eek: Whether it be a certain number or type of books, what's yours?

When I was a home health CNA, with a 96 year old patient who went to sleep at 7:30-8pm and woke up at 6am, I read "The Stand" in one night....(of course, I was in nursing school and should have been doing homework, damn that Stephen King!)

Never done a reading challenge (and I like to re-read some old favorites from time to time, so I'm assuming they won't count), but working about 60 hours a week average, I'll maybe go for 20...

TygerLily
01-02-2012, 07:19 AM
I tried a reading challenge one year, and it was basically a minor one (record all the books I read and see how many I can get). I found it too stressful and took the fun out of reading. Reminded me too much of reading for English classes, which is never as fun as reading for pleasure.

I was just introduced to the Martin Beck books. So fun! Unfortunately, I read the first two well out of order, but I'm going to go back now and begin from #1.

agalisgv
01-02-2012, 07:26 AM
I don't see how anyone can read a book a day unless they are retired and even then I would have to keep to low grade level books for easy and quick reading. I could never get through a heavy book in a day even if I did have the entire day to dedicate to reading. A book a day isn't extraordinary IMO--especially for fiction. Reading is like anything--the more you do it, the better/more efficient you get at it. When I do research, I go through at least five books a weekend.

I don't read much fiction nowadays, but when I read Harry Potter, I could make it through two of those a day, and that was reading them pretty closely.