PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
01-01-2012, 04:06 AM
Now that I've seen the rude Amerikan version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I really want to re-read the series. I thought the 3rd one was the best although there are major verisimilitude issues in all 3 books. :shuffle:

PrincessLeppard
01-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Are the other two good? I thought the compelling mysteries carried GWTDT, not so much Lisbeth and Mikael. And the plot summaries of the other two seem more character driven.

IceAlisa
01-01-2012, 04:19 AM
I liked them all with the above proviso. They don't stand on their own so reading in sequence is important.

agalisgv
01-01-2012, 04:42 AM
I haven't read through the thread so my apologies if this has already been covered, but has anyone read the latest installment in the Christopher Paolini series--Inheritance? How does it compare with the previous three books?

Thanks!

galaxygirl
01-01-2012, 04:54 AM
Even though I thought the second half of Matched was absolutely terrible and in no way did I believe the "love" between the two characters alleged to be in love, I decided to read the sequel, Crossed.

Gah.

The author has moved the characters out of the most interesting aspect of the story, which is the dystopian society. The characters have "escaped" and are currently roaming through a canyon. WTF? I still don't buy their "love," and the fact that the main character hasn't questioned anyone when they give her weird looks about her blue pills makes me want to punch her in the face.

But I'll finish it. If only to see how much more irritating she can be.

I gave up half way through the first book. I'm not a big YA reader but when I read Divergent earlier this year, I enjoyed it so much that I've read a couple other YA distopian novels but I haven't enjoyed them as much.

Jenny
01-01-2012, 02:47 PM
OK I just ordered the first three (it was a set, so good deal against buying one by one). I only know Bosch from the Lincoln Lawyer books, and he seems kinda flat, but as I said I really like the writing and he seems to know his stuff, so fingers crossed.

Update for Marge as she endorsed these books - I'm almost finished the first Bosch novel by Michael Connelly now, and LOVING it. The Confession by Grisham was a disappointment - I've read perhaps half of his books and always enjoyed them, but this one was just one long anti-death penalty rant, and not at all satisfying.

But to find a new author and character you enjoy, and to have about a dozen more to look forward too is such a rare treat - Happy New Year indeed!

rfisher
01-01-2012, 03:43 PM
I haven't read through the thread so my apologies if this has already been covered, but has anyone read the latest installment in the Christopher Paolini series--Inheritance? How does it compare with the previous three books?

Thanks!

I have it, but have only read the first (and last :shuffle: ) chapter. I thought his first book was really good, the second so-so and the third was pretentious. I was more interested in Rowan's adventures than Eragon and Saphira's. You sort of know what's going to happen. :lol: And Paolini sort of pulls a Frodo. I'll leave it at that for you to figure out the ending.

danceronice
01-01-2012, 05:03 PM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006PWUKWK/ref=r_soa_w_d

If you have Kindle...I have a stack of dead-tree books from Christmas, though I ended up reading one my brother's presents first--James May's "How To Land an A330", with instructions for things like the title, defusing an unexploded bomb from World War II, invading the Isle of Wight, and playing the first few bars of Moonlight Sonata on the piano (and that one at least actually works! I don't have unexploded ordinance, an A330, or the resources to invade Wight to try those.)

Spinner
01-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Anyone giving themselves a reading challenge this year? I like using www.goodreads.com for their yearly quantity challenge. Made my goal last year and upped it by 10 this year to read 60 overall. I figure with my work schedule, 5 per month is achievable. I also want to tackle The Stand--unedited. 1400 pages :eek: Whether it be a certain number or type of books, what's yours?

oleada
01-01-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm doing the 2012 reading challenge at Goodreads. I gave myself 30 this year, but I hope to break it. I did 25 for 2011 and met that. I raised it to 35, but I only made it to 31. I go on reading binges during the summer - hopefully I can read more once I (gulp) graduate in May.

ChelleC
01-01-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm doing the reading challenge at Goodreads also. Last year I was ambitious and started out with 150. I ended up changing it to 75, and I made that. For this year, my starting goal is 80.

modern_muslimah
01-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm also doing the reading challenge at Goodreads. Last I made my challenge of 30 books. I upped it to 40 books this year. That's about four books a month. I think I can do that.

Cachoo
01-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I read it too, and enjoyed. I hate sequels written by other writers, I donīt read them. Both P.D. James and Jane Austen belong to my top ten favourite authors (donīt ask who the other 8 are, I canīt tell) but this was an exeption.

I felt that Ms. James had thought: "I have written very seroius, gloomy, deep and litterary mysteries for 50 years, I am 90 now, so letīs have some fun!" I would not call her writing tongue-in-cheeck, but felt that she really enjoyed of using Austenian language without doing too much, and the sleuthing methods of that time. She also filled some gaps Austen did not. If you like that kind of litterature, I heartily recommend "Death comes to Pemberly".

:hat1:To Ms. James. She is a great writer.

Wow! I didn't realize she is 90. What a brain! You know if she was to continue and if a woman of that era could do more sleuthing she mentioned that Kitty was still at home. If she came to stay with Jane or Elizabeth as another mystery ensues...it could be fun. I'd love to see Elizabeth, Jane, Georgina or Kitty more involved. And you make a good point: She probably did enjoy writing something that was not at all gloomy.

PrincessLeppard
01-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I also want to tackle The Stand--unedited. 1400 pages :eek: Whether it be a certain number or type of books, what's yours?

I read it in two days. (the first time I read it) It's too good to put down, definitely one of my all-time favorite books.

The mini-series, however, was godawful. :scream:

I'll see your challenge of 60 books, mister. :2faced:

Spinner
01-01-2012, 06:58 PM
I'll see your challenge of 60 books, mister. :2faced:
I got through 53 last year, and there were times I was pretty damned lazy and didn't read at all. 60 should be easy. Bring it.