PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Spinner
12-22-2011, 02:10 AM
I just started Brandon Sanderson's 'The Way of Kings', the first 1200 page missive in his own epoch series. I bought several months ago but hung on to so I could enjoy it during my Christmas/New Years' break.

I'm almost at 100 pages and so far, it is living up to my expectations.

News from Brandon: he tweeted all through the night last night as he finished up the manuscript for the final Wheel of Time novel, A Memory of Light (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7743175-a-memory-of-light), finally saying it'll likely be ready for stores by late next year.

Spinner
12-22-2011, 02:13 AM
The first one I got is called "The Night Circus" and I am saving my other credit for now.

I just finished reading this and it was wonderful! I'm curious how it translates in audio format. Would be fun with some cool sound effects.

RockTheTassel
12-22-2011, 04:45 AM
I just got The Night Circus in the mail today, and I'm trying so hard to wait until after my last final tomorrow to start it. It looks awesome.

dinakt
12-22-2011, 05:18 AM
The first one I got is called "The Night Circus" and I am saving my other credit for now.

i think "The Night Circus" is going to be my next audiobook, as well; it'll
be interesting to compare notes.

BigB08822
12-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Glad to see so many of us have read/are going to read/will listen to The Night Circus. We can all compare notes, as dinakt said! I began listening tonight and got about 12 minutes in before my BF came home. I liked it but it was odd at first to just listen to a book. I finally figured out I needed to lay down and close my eyes to really listen and imagine as I do when reading. I think I am going to really enjoy it but for now I need to wait for alone time and silence.

I think my next audiobook may be Bossypants by Tina Fey. The sample had me cracking up and she reads it herself.

Evilynn
12-22-2011, 12:10 PM
News from Brandon: he tweeted all through the night last night as he finished up the manuscript for the final Wheel of Time novel, A Memory of Light (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7743175-a-memory-of-light), finally saying it'll likely be ready for stores by late next year.

So much for that March release date! :lol: Good to know though, I was about to start rereading the whole series, but if it won't be out until Nov/Dec I'll postpone re-reading until the summer. :)

I'm reading John Ajvide Linqvist's Harbor and Elizabeth Bear's All The Windwracked Stars, and since I'm going away for the holidays I suspect I'll cram in some fluffy stuff as well. I just got a Kindle, and there are a couple of Dresden Files books on it, along with an Anita Blake book I haven't read yet... :shuffle:

Wyliefan
12-22-2011, 01:53 PM
I liked it but it was odd at first to just listen to a book. I finally figured out I needed to lay down and close my eyes to really listen and imagine as I do when reading.

I don't know if I could even concentrate on an audio book at home; I always listen to them in the car.

As Spinner says, the audio of that book should be a very interesting experience. Do let us know how you like it!

rfisher
12-22-2011, 02:14 PM
I listen to them sometimes if I'm doing something like painting or a mind numbing task like dusting or cleaning. But, I wouldn't sit down and listen to one.

I've got Henning Mankell's Faceless Killers going in the car right now. I went to the library and got a bag full to listen to on my two 10 hour car drives over the Holidays. The narrator for the Mankell books is Swedish so I learn how to pronounce all the place names. I listened to half the No.1 Lady Detective Series by Alexander McCall Smith (read the other half). The narrator is South African and she pronounces all the people and place names correctly. Then, when I read, I know where the accent and syllable breaks are and can hear them in my head in her voice.

jeffisjeff
12-22-2011, 02:44 PM
I've got Henning Mankell's Faceless Killers going in the car right now. I went to the library and got a bag full to listen to on my two 10 hour car drives over the Holidays. The narrator for the Mankell books is Swedish so I learn how to pronounce all the place names. I listened to half the No.1 Lady Detective Series by Alexander McCall Smith (read the other half). The narrator is South African and she pronounces all the people and place names correctly. Then, when I read, I know where the accent and syllable breaks are and can hear them in my head in her voice.

Good idea. I am reading The Keeper of Lost Causes (as part of my continuing obsession with "Nordic noir" :lol:) and I had no idea how to pronounce the name of one of the main characters. Eventually I looked it up and found that I'd been pronouncing it wrong in my head the whole time.

zaphyre14
12-22-2011, 02:46 PM
I love the audios of the N0. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books! I feel as if the narrator's sitting in the car with me, telling me a story, rather than reading from a book.

I now have "Shibumi" by Trevanian going in the car - massive espionage saga skipping between "present day" (1990s) Washington DC and WWII-era China and Japan. Although I will confess that every time I hear the term "shibumi" mentioned, my boorish American brain hums "Shipoopie!" from "The Music Man." :)

Spinner
12-22-2011, 03:33 PM
So much for that March release date! :lol: Good to know though, I was about to start rereading the whole series, but if it won't be out until Nov/Dec I'll postpone re-reading until the summer. :)

His recent newborn threw a total whacker in that plan. ;)

Wyliefan
12-22-2011, 06:22 PM
I love the audios of the N0. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books! I feel as if the narrator's sitting in the car with me, telling me a story, rather than reading from a book.

I now have "Shibumi" by Trevanian going in the car - massive espionage saga skipping between "present day" (1990s) Washington DC and WWII-era China and Japan. Although I will confess that every time I hear the term "shibumi" mentioned, my boorish American brain hums "Shipoopie!" from "The Music Man." :)

That's hardly boorish. Now if your brain automatically went to a Lady Gaga song, that might be a different story. :)

IceAlisa
12-23-2011, 03:48 AM
Well, it seems as good a time as any to read Nothing To Envy about North Korea.

Wyliefan
12-23-2011, 04:12 AM
Oh, good idea. Someone gave me a copy of that; I should dig it out.

PrincessLeppard
12-23-2011, 04:22 AM
It's excellent.

I finished Shipbreaker on the plane. Well written, and at no point does anyone do anything stupid to advance the plot. I'm excited for the next book. I don't think it's a trilogy, as this book ends pretty definitely.

I started Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. So far, I like it.