PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

CDANN1013
12-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Add me to the dreck reading club. Love some JD Robb, Linda fairstein etc. Since I am off school for 3 1/2 weeks' dreck here I come. However, I did get some good recommendations from reading this thread.

Carol

modern_muslimah
12-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Grad school turned me off reading altogether for a couple of years and when I started up again, I read nothing more demanding than Harlequin romances.

Grad school sucks.

Yeah...this semester was rough. I've been done for a week as of tomorrow and still haven't read anything more complex than a webpage. I skimmed a magazine. The dreck I checked out of the library is even too much effort.

Glad it's not just me!

So it's not just me. :lol: I seriously checked a whole lot of dreck to read from the library for the three weeks that I'm off from school. I don't want to read anything serious. I'm currently reading a fluffy romance novel about a woman who gets dumped by her fiance before her wedding and decides to take an excursion across Europe to get over him. Of course, she meets another guy in the process. I have lots more fluffy romance and YA novels lined up. I'm also reading a book about Jonestown (ok, maybe this one isn't so dreck like but I don't feel my brain melting when I read it). I'll save the serious reading for the summer when there is enough time for my brain to recover from school.

rfisher
12-21-2011, 01:47 AM
Hehehehehe. See Zaph, we're not the only ones who skip the *serious* books.

LilJen
12-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Speaking of non-serious books, I picked up some book called "The Vespertine" at the library 2 weeks ago. Some YA novel about a chick in the 1880s (?) who sees visions. It was reaaaaallllly bad. Not even good, entertaining dreck.

For those who are into royalty and English history, I would recommend Mary Tudor: Daughter, Bastard, Queen. (Er, I think that's the title.) Some flaws (copyeditor? proofreader?) but an interesting take on her life and her woeful years being in and out of favor with her father, her brother, the Catholic Church, the church in England, English citizens, and pretty much every other European country.

Spinner
12-21-2011, 04:45 AM
I am always in the market for a new mystery. I am not fond of most of the bestsellers :shuffle:, but I am also not at all fond of, say, P.D. James. :shuffle::shuffle: I do like to have a mystery in my mystery and not just a fun character, but a mystery AND a fun character is :swoon:.

Do you like serial killer stuff with a female investigator? The Stranger You Seek (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10316707-the-stranger-you-seek) is the first in a new series from Amanda Kyle Wiliams. Getting some good reviews and a few minor awards.

Cachoo
12-21-2011, 05:31 AM
The NY Times Book Review just gave PD James new Austenesque book a big thumbs up, saying it really stands above the current fad for extensions, in the style of, based on, etc.

Anyone read it? Death Comes to Pemberly or something like that - extension of P&P, with murder.

I've just started and have enormous respect for PD James and am curious how she handles murder when it involves one of the wealthy families of the day without the advantages involved in today's police work. I won't say a lot yet except: Lydia, Lydia, Lydia---that young woman has been trouble from an early age. And I'm not at all sure she caused the current problem. If anyone can pull this off James can. Fingers crossed.

BigB08822
12-21-2011, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the audio book recommendations. Has anyone used audible.com before? Is it worth it? I know it would be worth it the first 3 months but after that the price seems to be about what most audio books run for (on the low end, though). I am starting to think that audio books are just too pricey for me but I want to try one before I give up, just to say I have.

dinakt
12-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the audio book recommendations. Has anyone used audible.com before? Is it worth it? I know it would be worth it the first 3 months but after that the price seems to be about what most audio books run for (on the low end, though). I am starting to think that audio books are just too pricey for me but I want to try one before I give up, just to say I have.

I am completely addicted to audible.com, and to me, it's more than worth it. Sometimes a wrong reader can destroy a book, but a good reader is a joy. My husband and I often share the credits, but when I go on a listening binge I buy a lot. I would say only the most poetic, complex literature is better read. History, fantasy, popular science, contemporary literature, classics... I love listening to it all.
The price is fixed- something like 22 dollars a month for two credits, I think. And depending on what you choose to listen to, a credit could give you 20, 30 quality hours).
As for recommendations-long, paranormal and stand- alone, Kostova's "The Historian" was fun and well-read. But there are so many.

Finnice
12-21-2011, 08:46 AM
The NY Times Book Review just gave PD James new Austenesque book a big thumbs up, saying it really stands above the current fad for extensions, in the style of, based on, etc.

Anyone read it? Death Comes to Pemberly or something like that - extension of P&P, with murder.

I am getting this for a Christmas present, and really looking forward to read it. I respect P.D. James a lot and I am a huge Jane Asuten fan. Normally, I hate sequels written by anyone else than the original writer, but this is a rare example of something I am ready to like, if it is worth it!

Japanfan
12-21-2011, 12:42 PM
I just started Brandon Sanderson's 'The Way of Kings', the first 1200 page missive in his own epoch series. I bought several months ago but hung on to so I could enjoy it during my Christmas/New Years' break.

I'm almost at 100 pages and so far, it is living up to my expectations.

BigB08822
12-21-2011, 04:45 PM
I am completely addicted to audible.com, and to me, it's more than worth it. Sometimes a wrong reader can destroy a book, but a good reader is a joy. My husband and I often share the credits, but when I go on a listening binge I buy a lot. I would say only the most poetic, complex literature is better read. History, fantasy, popular science, contemporary literature, classics... I love listening to it all.
The price is fixed- something like 22 dollars a month for two credits, I think. And depending on what you choose to listen to, a credit could give you 20, 30 quality hours).
As for recommendations-long, paranormal and stand- alone, Kostova's "The Historian" was fun and well-read. But there are so many.

Thanks! I noticed that the deal they had going right now was 3 months for $7.95 and then 3 months at $14.95 for 1 credit a month. It really is a good deal overall since I can't find any audio books for less than $15.00 However, I noticed on my Kindle that it said I could get audio books for free if I bought them on Kindle through audible.com I tried it and it gave me any book I wanted for free and then my first month is free! After the first month it goes to 14.95 but I get 2 free books right from the start. I can also cancel at any time so if I don't think it is my thing I am out nothing. The first one I got is called "The Night Circus" and I am saving my other credit for now.

aliceanne
12-21-2011, 05:46 PM
I just finished Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. My gripe with stories that jump back and forth between time and characters is that they have to be roughly equally enthralling, otherwise you keep hurrying through one section trying to get back to the previous character's story. Sarah's tale as a child in 1942 is absolutely brilliantly written; Julia in 2002 is uninspiring, weak, spineless, ...yeah. I don't usually do WWII books, but this one was not too bad if you can tune out all the modern-day soap opera plots. :P

I had the same reaction. Sarah's story was interesting,
but the modern characters - :blah:

Prancer
12-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Do you like serial killer stuff with a female investigator? The Stranger You Seek (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10316707-the-stranger-you-seek) is the first in a new series from Amanda Kyle Wiliams. Getting some good reviews and a few minor awards.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

I am starting to think that audio books are just too pricey for me but I want to try one before I give up, just to say I have.

Don't forget your local library, which should have audio books available.

I don't know about other states, but in Ohio, audio books are included in digital/e-book consortiums, so if you have access to something like that, you might have access to a pretty large collection. One of the consortiums I belong to has thousands of audio books.

BigB08822
12-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Yes, people tell me about the library but I want these for my Kindle.

modern_muslimah
12-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Yes, people tell me about the library but I want these for my Kindle.

You man own them for your Kindle or in Kindle format? If the latter, you can download the audiobooks from your library's Overdrive collection in mp3 format that will go on your Kindle.