PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

falling_dance
12-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Let her know what you really think of Murakami. See if she got through the first chapter of Fellowship. Understand that if she says she understood James Joyce’s Ulysses she’s just saying that to sound intelligent. Ask her if she loves Alice or she would like to be Alice.

Date a girl (not a woman) who reads as long as she's not the type to conclude that she understands what she reads. If she's of the latter type, she'll resent being stalked at bookstores and ambushed at coffee shops.

PrincessLeppard
12-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Also, PL, try making your life a bit like your favorite book. Is it a zombie book? :D

Close. It's Stephen King's The Stand. :shuffle:

Marge_Simpson
12-16-2011, 07:37 PM
After very much enjoying the movie, I read Michael Connelly's The Lincoln Lawyer and liked it so much that I've now read his other three books featuring the same character. Having exhausted that avenue and hungry for more, I picked up The Confession by Grisham. Not, as, good - by a longshot. I have enjoyed Grisham books over the years, but I was rather :eek: to see his rant in the author's note about hating research.

Might have to try Connelly's cop books. Not usually my thing, but I really like his writing. And there are far more of them. :)

I love the Harry Bosch books. (except maybe the last one)
I met Connelly at a book signing several years ago, he's really nice. Quite good looking, too. But I didn't flirt with him as I believe he's married. :)

IceAlisa
12-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Ask her if she loves Alice or she would like to be Alice. Assuming the blogger means Alice in Wonderland, is she aware of the controversy surrounding the relationship of Lewis Carroll and Alice Liddell?

I had no idea before I came across this picture of Alice taken by Lewis Carroll (http://celebrityspic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/alice-liddell-lewis-carroll-alice-in-wonderland-author.jpg). Without knowing anything about their relationship, I thought this was a highly sexualized picture of a child. Then I did some digging and turns out there was some evidence that their relationship may not have been appropriate.

Still want to be Alice?

dinakt
12-16-2011, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if people have actually done that. :D You hear stories of people writing to Sherlock Holmes at his Baker Street address, after all.

On another book-related note -- this thread seemed like a good place to post this great blog post (http://nonamerah.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/869/).

I am sorry Wyliefan, this is not meant to be in bad spirit.
Basically the advice is- date a female writer, presume she does not understand complicated books and lie to her:D

I am deeply immersed in a book right now; unfortunately it'll be relevant only to Russian speakers. It's a new biography of Lev Tolstoy, written by Pavel Basinsky, and called " The Escape from Paradise". It is a detailed account of evotion of Tolstoy's beliefs and values, and actions he took to live according to those values throughout his life. I looked everywhere for an English translation so I could give it to my husband, but it does not exist yet, and it's such a disappointment; hopefully it will appear, as the biography was only published this year. A perfect combination of very well- documented and a tiny bit speculative.

Wyliefan
12-16-2011, 08:56 PM
To provide a bit of context, dinakt, the piece was written as a response to this (http://thoughtcatalog.com/2011/dont-date-a-girl-who-reads/) (which itself is satire).

IceAlisa
12-16-2011, 09:17 PM
To provide a bit of context, dinakt, the piece was written as a response to this (http://thoughtcatalog.com/2011/dont-date-a-girl-who-reads/) (which itself is satire).

Somewhat more entertaining but no less creepy.

Jenny
12-16-2011, 10:18 PM
I love the Harry Bosch books. (except maybe the last one)
I met Connelly at a book signing several years ago, he's really nice. Quite good looking, too. But I didn't flirt with him as I believe he's married. :)

OK I just ordered the first three (it was a set, so good deal against buying one by one). I only know Bosch from the Lincoln Lawyer books, and he seems kinda flat, but as I said I really like the writing and he seems to know his stuff, so fingers crossed.

Spinner
12-17-2011, 06:26 AM
Oh, and I'm reading a YA novel called Shipbreaker. So far, it's very cool.

That sells quite often. Let me know what you think.

zaphyre14
12-19-2011, 01:26 PM
As the Self-Confessed Dreck Reader, I have moved on to Diana Gabaldon's newest Lord John Grey novel, "The Scottish Prisoner." At 500+ pages, it's longer than any of the previous LJG tales and there's precious little mystery in it so far but I'm enjoying the glimpse into Jamie FRaser's "lost years."

I also have Janet Evanovich's latest, #18, on tap so as to not tax my brain at all during the holidays. :)

Buzz
12-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Steve Jobs bio has just hit shelves but the folks behind the book are now talking about a 2nd edition! They want to put in more about his final days. As much as I loved reading about this guy, the more I think about it, the more I realise that the book has very little about the man that is new. In addition any new editions this soon after the first one was published just sounds like they are milking Jobs fame for all it's worth. There is also a documentary available on On demand/PPV about his life. The name escapes me right now and if you do not want to read the book, watch the documentary. It has much of the same information. Something that is not in the doc is the part of the book that mentions Mona Simpson publishing a novel inspired by him and using information she learnt from him and his daugther Lisa without their knowledge made me feel Kweezy.

rfisher
12-19-2011, 02:15 PM
As the Self-Confessed Dreck Reader, I have moved on to Diana Gabaldon's newest Lord John Grey novel, "The Scottish Prisoner." At 500+ pages, it's longer than any of the previous LJG tales and there's precious little mystery in it so far but I'm enjoying the glimpse into Jamie FRaser's "lost years."

I also have Janet Evanovich's latest, #18, on tap so as to not tax my brain at all during the holidays. :)

I love dreck, but I can't read either author any more. I didn't even finish Gabaldon's last opus. She's waaaaaaaaaay too full of herself. Plus, I don't like her personally which may color my opinion a tiny bit. Evanovich is letting her daughter write under her name and she sucks. Worse than her mother.

zaphyre14
12-19-2011, 05:02 PM
I love dreck, but I can't read either author any more. I didn't even finish Gabaldon's last opus. She's waaaaaaaaaay too full of herself. Plus, I don't like her personally which may color my opinion a tiny bit. Evanovich is letting her daughter write under her name and she sucks. Worse than her mother.

:) Each to her own. :)

I can't stand 90% of the stuff people seem to love in this thread so I just figured I'd post something a bit different. And somebody else must like Gabaldon because "The Scottish Prisoner" is #8 on the NYT Best Sellers list.

BigB08822
12-19-2011, 07:16 PM
I got a Kindle and an Amazon gift card. I want to try an audio book. Can anyone recommend a good audio book? Some recent books I have read that I really liked are The Hunger Games, The Book Thief, Sookie Stackhouse series. Just to give an idea. I prefer fiction unless it tells a really good story. I don't care so much about learning anything, lol

rfisher
12-19-2011, 08:10 PM
:) Each to her own. :)

I can't stand 90% of the stuff people seem to love in this thread so I just figured I'd post something a bit different. And somebody else must like Gabaldon because "The Scottish Prisoner" is #8 on the NYT Best Sellers list.

I know. Who's buying this stuff???? :lol: Well, apart from you. :D