PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
12-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Date a girl who reads. Date a girl who spends her money on books instead of clothes. And why, may I ask, are these two expenses mutually exclusive? Why is the intellectual necessarily dowdy?

I've dated men who'd given me Neruda, Baudelaire and The World Poetry Anthology. I can recite Keats. And I've been known to buy clothes.

Another quote:

Understand that she knows the difference between books and reality but by god, she’s going to try to make her life a little like her favorite book. Um, what if my favorite book were, say Notes from the Underground? Death of Ivan Illych?

oleada
12-16-2011, 07:24 AM
And why, may I ask, are these two expenses mutually exclusive? Why is the intellectual necessarily dowdy?

I've dated men who'd given me Neruda, Baudelaire and The World Poetry Anthology. I can recite Keats. And I've been known to buy clothes.

Another quote:
Um, what if my favorite book were, say Notes from the Underground? Death of Ivan Illych?

:respec:

I don't know why loving both clothes and make-up and loving to read are to be described as mutually exclusive. :

PrincessLeppard
12-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I did not realize that as a book lover, I was supposed to be untiffed. :drama:

Oh, and I'm reading a YA novel called Shipbreaker. So far, it's very cool.

Wyliefan
12-16-2011, 01:12 PM
And why, may I ask, are these two expenses mutually exclusive? Why is the intellectual necessarily dowdy?

:) I think it was just a bit of a generalization. I know I'd go around in a burlap sack if it would let me afford more books!

Prancer
12-16-2011, 01:19 PM
On another book-related note -- this thread seemed like a good place to post this great blog post (http://nonamerah.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/869/).

Really? :shuffle:

rfisher
12-16-2011, 02:07 PM
I read and I wouldn't do any of those things. I can't quote Keats and have no desire to do so. Never read CS Lewis (not interested in the Christian mythology) or pretty much any of the other things she lists. Good thing I'm not depending on this to get dates. :P

Wyliefan
12-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Really? :shuffle:

Gee, sorry. :lol: My Facebook friends loved it. I don't think one was supposed to slavishly follow it word-for-word. The point is that women who read are very good people to have in your life, and I think that at least is something we can all agree on.

Prancer
12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Gee, sorry. :lol: My Facebook friends loved it. I don't think one was supposed to slavishly follow it word-for-word. The point is that women who read are very good people to have in your life, and I think that at least is something we can all agree on.

Not slavishly following it word-for-word is one thing; being kind of creeped out by parts of it is another :shuffle:

gkelly
12-16-2011, 02:40 PM

Limited funds, perhaps?

Of course, there are always thrift stores and used book stores.

Jenny
12-16-2011, 02:50 PM
After very much enjoying the movie, I read Michael Connelly's The Lincoln Lawyer and liked it so much that I've now read his other three books featuring the same character. Having exhausted that avenue and hungry for more, I picked up The Confession by Grisham. Not, as, good - by a longshot. I have enjoyed Grisham books over the years, but I was rather :eek: to see his rant in the author's note about hating research.

Might have to try Connelly's cop books. Not usually my thing, but I really like his writing. And there are far more of them. :)

Wyliefan
12-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Limited funds, perhaps?

Of course, there are always thrift stores and used book stores.

Well, you remember what Erasmus said (http://thinkexist.com/quotation/when_i_get_a_little_money_i_buy_books-and_if_any/13319.html) . . .

PrincessLeppard
12-16-2011, 03:42 PM
On another book-related note -- this thread seemed like a good place to post this great blog post (http://nonamerah.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/869/).

Dear Lord. I just read it for myself. I love to read, but that is the creepiest thing I've ever read. :scream:

rfisher
12-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Dear Lord. I just read it for myself. I love to read, but that is the creepiest thing I've ever read. :scream:

See, you don't get dates because you're reading all those zombie books and stuff. You will, however, be able to surivive when the zombie epidemic strikes and you can date any other survivors. Or not if they're stupid. You can shove them into the attacking zombies while you make your get away.

IceAlisa
12-16-2011, 04:39 PM
See, you don't get dates because you're reading all those zombie books and stuff. You will, however, be able to surivive when the zombie epidemic strikes and you can date any other survivors. Or not if they're stupid. You can shove them into the attacking zombies while you make your get away.

Also, PL, try making your life a bit like your favorite book. Is it a zombie book? :D

IceAlisa
12-16-2011, 05:05 PM
used book stores.

Speaking of which, don't miss Green Apple Books (http://www.greenapplebooks.com/) if you are even in San Francisco. It's a landmark. I can get lost in there for hours. :swoon:

This month they are featuring Ambrose Bierce, whose short stories were given to me by an English major I dated a looooooooooong time ago. One of the best presents ever.

Oh and please pardon the double post.