PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
09-17-2011, 01:34 PM
You should start making up a batch and selling them to FSU members! :)

:lol: It would require half-way decent carpenter skills. Mine are no where near that level.

Allen
09-17-2011, 01:46 PM
I looked up the trailer for the film and was shocked to see that the hanging scene was filmed in front of our famed chapel where I went to college! Eek, that's doubly creepy.

The film version isn't great.

PrincessLeppard
09-17-2011, 02:46 PM
I looked up the trailer for the film and was shocked to see that the hanging scene was filmed in front of our famed chapel where I went to college! Eek, that's doubly creepy.

I just have to reiterate what Allen said. The movie just isn't that well done, despite an amazing cast.

Of course, it's nowhere near as bad as the monstrosity that was made out of my favorite dystopian novel, Fatherland. I wish someone with a budget would remake it, because it could be amazing. Oh, well.

oleada
09-17-2011, 10:19 PM
I want that bookshelf soooo bad. I'm sending the link to my mom, who was an interior designer. She'll love it.

Brian, I know this is kind of late, but since you were asking about books set in WWII, have you read Maus and Maus II? They're graphic novels, but they're outstanding. They're a quick read, but deep (on so many levels) and just excellent.

Nomad
09-17-2011, 11:00 PM
I like the look of that bookcase, but, practically speaking, it wouldn't work for me. All my books have to be in order. Grouped together by subject and then alphabetical by author. And if I have multiple books by one author, in chronological order. Not that I'm obsessive-compulsive or anything.:slinkaway

Prancer
09-17-2011, 11:03 PM
I like the look of that bookcase, but, practically speaking, it wouldn't work for me. All my books have to be in order. Grouped together by subject and then alphabetical by author. And if I have multiple books by one author, in chronological order. Not that I'm obsessive-compulsive or anything.:slinkaway

Oh, good, it's not just me. My very first thought on looking at the photo was "But you'd have to group everything by size! :eek:"

rfisher
09-17-2011, 11:45 PM
That shelf is more of a design statement than a working bookshelf. I think the image filled with books is cluttered and messy. I'd leave half of each shelf blank or put something other than a book on alternate shelves. It doesn't look good filled with books. You lose the design element.

Book shelves need to be floor to ceiling with a book ladder. Like a library. I want a library.

oleada
09-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Book shelves need to be floor to ceiling with a book ladder. Like a library. I want a library.

Me too. My favorite movie as a kid was Beauty and the Beast, because he gives her a library and I couldn't imagine something more romantic than that.

my little pony
09-17-2011, 11:47 PM
my borders still has a ladder for sale $600

i want it desperately but i have no way of getting it home

Nomad
09-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Finished Dissolution this afternoon. It was an enjoyable read, but I think I will get the rest of the series from the library instead of buying them. I'm not yet ready to go back to my stream-of-consciousness epic, so I'm staring at my TBR shelf trying to decide. The front runners are Now, Voyager (the novel the Bette Davis classic was based on) and To Bed with Grand Music (married woman slutting around London while hubby is off fighting in WWII). Decisions, decisions...

Prancer
09-18-2011, 12:11 AM
That shelf is more of a design statement than a working bookshelf.

Agreed, which is why I am :confused: that anyone wants it. If I'm going to have a bookcase that big, it WILL hold books. Otherwise it is taking up valuable space that could hold books.

emason
09-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Where do you freaks put all of these books!? :lol:

I've long since run out of space on my bookshelves, so in my case, there are piles of books everywhere - by my dining table, stacked up by my bed, etc. and so on.

Part of my bi-weekly entertainment is seeing where my cleaning lady has moved things to and how she has re-arranged the piles. Every once in a while a real gem floats to the top of a pile after Rosa has finished re-organizing everything.

Lara
09-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Me too. My favorite movie as a kid was Beauty and the Beast, because he gives her a library and I couldn't imagine something more romantic than that.

I loved that library too. :swoon:

And agree the Borders bookcase with ladder is a sweet deal but I couldn't take advantage of it either, sigh. RIP. :wuzrobbed

I got about 12 books I think, paltry compared to most of you but enough to keep me occupied for a bit. I should really start posting reviews here, will do so as I go!

Nomad
09-18-2011, 12:50 AM
I've long since run out of space on my bookshelves, so in my case, there are piles of books everywhere - by my dining table, stacked up by my bed, etc. and so on.

My last apartment had a long hallway which led to the living space. Initially I covered one side with bookshelves. Then the other side. Then I took down pictures in the living room to make room for yet more shelves. Then I got rid of furniture which took up bookshelf space. Bookshelves went up in the bathroom for my junk-reads...In the end, almost every wall was covered with bookshelves. One of my coworkers came over once and was shocked. "Good God, you live in a freakin' library!" :lol:

rfisher
09-18-2011, 01:02 AM
my borders still has a ladder for sale $600

i want it desperately but i have no way of getting it home

Look in the phone book for a local moving company. Most of them will do small moves for a reasonable fee.