PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rjblue
12-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Too many strange things in the middle of books at my local library (and that includes 'grown up' books too)... :shuffle:I've found money in books before. Bills that haven't been printed for 20 years, just waiting for someone to finally read the book and get the money.

However, our local library is not open evenings or Sundays, so I haven't been able to use it for years. :(

Erin
12-12-2011, 02:26 AM
I went back to reading Six Wives after an extended break. I am 500 pages into the 865 page book and it is due back to the library on Thursday. This thing is a frigging monster. I'm now at the point of just skimming because this guy goes into way too many details on things that aren't all that interesting.

galaxygirl
12-12-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm not overly concerned about what's in the middle of a library book but I always clean the covers with a cotton ball and alcohol before I read them. :yikes:

I've found money in books before. Bills that haven't been printed for 20 years, just waiting for someone to finally read the book and get the money.

However, our local library is not open evenings or Sundays, so I haven't been able to use it for years. :(

How odd. You'd think they'd be open when the majority of their patrons can visit.

mkats
12-12-2011, 02:58 AM
How odd. You'd think they'd be open when the majority of their patrons can visit.

Ours is unfortunately similar, due to budget cuts - 9 AM - 5:30 PM 4 days a week, 1 PM - 9 PM 2 days a week, closed Sundays. At this rate I'm glad it's still open at all...

Cachoo
12-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Did anyone see that PD James is coming out with an Austen sequel/murder mystery?

Death Comes to Pemberley

(sorry if it has been discussed.)

It'll be available tomorrow on Nook! Can't wait

The book is coming courtesy of Amazon---the weather sucks as it is starting to sleet. I think I need to curl up with a good mystery. Hurry Amazon! (No nook or kindle yet)

zaphyre14
12-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I've been binge reading lately and finished Karen Robards' "The Queen's Governess" (from the library where I never think about where books have been; the ones I read have been sitting on the shelves for more than a year anyway), the two most recent Deanna Rayburne Lady Julia mysteries and Mel Starr's third medieval mystery, "A Trail of Ink." I'm now catching up with Barbara Hambley's Benjamin January mysteries with "The Shirt on His Back" with "Ran Away" on deck. I am determined to finish the stockpile I have by my bed before I make another Barnes and Noble foray.

Buzz
12-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Saw "A Bag Of Bones" on A&E last night and now I want to read the book! :respec:

Wyliefan
12-12-2011, 07:38 PM
I got Death Comes to Pemberley this weekend. So far, it's great. A bit too much exposition, but James is doing an amazing job capturing the tone of the original.

galaxygirl
12-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Saw "A Bag Of Bones" on A&E last night and now I want to read the book! :respec:

Crap, I missed it. Hopefully it'll be rerun.

Artistic Skaters
12-12-2011, 10:53 PM
I really enjoyed the book I just finished. The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. A first novel by this author. The story of a girl in San Francisco who ages out of the foster care system, becomes homeless & has to make her way in the world. I can never seem to bypass the coming-of-age tales.

Also, sometimes there are interesting things, not just creepy ones, between the pages of those used & library books:

http://www.forgottenbookmarks.com/

LilJen
12-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Well, my book group has chosen what I consider a dud. "Spoken from the Heart" by Laura Bush. Apart from the fact that I think her husband was a terrible president, her book is unfathomably BORING. There seems to be nothing "from the heart" at all; just a strict rendering of facts from start to finish. And no, I haven't made it to Dubya's presidency yet, but even though some fairly dramatic things happened in her life up until then, none of it is touching me AT ALL. Really utterly uncompelling.

Artemis@BC
12-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Crap, I missed it. (Bag of Bones) Hopefully it'll be rerun.

It repeats about a gagillion times. This is A&E after all. Check your listings for tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday, Monday ...

I've recorded it but haven't had a chance to watch yet. I thought it wasn't one of King's best books, but some of the best screen adaptations have been from his less-than-brilliant books. Plus I loves me some Pierce Brosnan.

Artemis@BC
12-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Finished The Night Circus last night, and I'm happy to report it did not disappoint, right to the very end. I think this might be my favourite book this year.

I'm tempted to email "Bailey" at the email address included on the last page, asking when Le Cirque is coming to my town. ;)

Spinner
12-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Finished The Night Circus last night, and I'm happy to report it did not disappoint, right to the very end. I think this might be my favourite book this year.
I just finished it as well, great read! Though I may have tied the end up differently, I must say I was (pardon the pun) enchanted the whole way through. I needed a bit of a fantastical escape and this book delivered.

And yes, I was tempted in a similar manner as you mentioned. ;)

Wyliefan
12-16-2011, 06:52 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if people have actually done that. :D You hear stories of people writing to Sherlock Holmes at his Baker Street address, after all.

On another book-related note -- this thread seemed like a good place to post this great blog post (http://nonamerah.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/869/).