PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Nomad
12-01-2011, 03:50 AM
I found out last night that the book I was going to give my sister-in-law for Xmas (Nada by Carmen Laforet, Nomad highly recommends) is one I already gave her. :duh: So I ordered her the new Umberto Eco and while I was at it got The Night Circus for myself.

NeilJLeonard
12-01-2011, 03:54 AM
Neil, you remind me of my uncle. While recovering from a heart attack, he devoured the books like never before. He isn't a huge reader, but he absolutely loved those

Maybe it's a guy thing? Because I tried to and couldn't get into them.
Possibly.

I've not been beguiled & hooked on a story like the trilogy in ages. The movie is now a gotta see, and I've never felt that way about anything I've ever read.

I want #4 just to find out about Wasp's tattoos....:biggrinbo

NJL

Wyliefan
12-01-2011, 04:32 AM
Glad you liked it! :)

I couldn't put it down last night :coffee: and wish I had a day off today to read it. This is the kind of book that readers who enjoyed Possession would appreciate although the subject matter is very different. The prose, while extremely well-crafted, is effortless and more readable than Byatt's.
The thing about Tartt's writing is that there is nothing I would change--she gets it exactly right. It can only be just so and not any other way. With a few of the books I have recently finished, I usually found plenty to complain about wrt the writing. Not here though. :kickass:

In fact, the prose is so good that I almost don't care about how the story develops. Oh and she can sketch out a character in a few paragraphs and you get an idea about them. Some people can spend two books and still not develop their protagonist.

Yoohoo, Wyliefan and PRLady, check it out.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Evilynn
12-02-2011, 01:13 PM
I couldn't put it down last night :coffee: and wish I had a day off today to read it. This is the kind of book that readers who enjoyed Possession would appreciate although the subject matter is very different. The prose, while extremely well-crafted, is effortless and more readable than Byatt's.
The thing about Tartt's writing is that there is nothing I would change--she gets it exactly right. It can only be just so and not any other way. With a few of the books I have recently finished, I usually found plenty to complain about wrt the writing. Not here though. :kickass:

In fact, the prose is so good that I almost don't care about how the story develops. Oh and she can sketch out a character in a few paragraphs and you get an idea about them. Some people can spend two books and still not develop their protagonist.

I haven't read Possession (although I mean to at some point), but I really liked The Secret History. I should re-read Bret Easton Ellis's The Rules of Attraction (http://www.amazon.com/Rules-Attraction-Bret-Easton-Ellis/dp/067162234X/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0) and The Secret History (they take place at the same college at the same time and cross reference each other). Unfortunately I didn't enjoy The Little Friend (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Friend-Donna-Tartt/dp/1400031699/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322831212&sr=8-1) as much.

galaxygirl
12-04-2011, 09:38 PM
I finished The Hunger Games the other day. It was good (I preferred Divergent) but I think I can wait until the second book comes in from the library. I'm 84/111 on the hold list but there are 20 copies with 8 more on order so I won't have to wait more than 3 months. I just checked out I am Number Four on my Nook and I have two more regular books waiting for me to pick them up, 11/22/63 and Something from the Nightside. 11/22/63 is huge and I only have 3 weeks to read it plus I have several other ebooks about to come in so I may put it off until demand dies down and I can renew it. One of the ebook holds that I'll be getting soon is Catherine the Great. :)

OT: The Shield Season 1 is in transit. :cheer2:

modern_muslimah
12-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I just need to get through this week last week of school (I should be typing a paper but procrastination is getting in the way again) and then I can read all the glorious books that I want. I already have Vaclav and Lena, Attachments, and The Girl Who Chased the Moon on my e-reader. I borrowed them all from the library. I also got an e-mail this morning saying that Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi is now available for download. :D I've been wanting to read that for a while but haven't had the time. I still need to finish reading The Help. The book club I'm part of is going to discuss it for this month's meeting too. To be fair, during Thanksgiving, I did kinda get into it more and it has become a bit more interesting.

Grannyfan
12-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Started Donna Tartt's The Secret History--and how refreshing it is to encounter well-crafted prose after the substandard efforts of Ms. Gee. A very confident writer, this Donna Tartt.

I read it many years ago and enjoyed it. Her next book, The Little Friend, I didn't think was nearly so good.

galaxygirl
12-04-2011, 09:59 PM
I went to amazon to look up The Girl Who Chased the Moon to see if I've read it (I have) and saw this book (http://www.amazon.com/Owl-Moon-Cafe-Jo-Ann-Mapson/dp/0743266412/ref=pd_sim_b_4). I have to read it now because loooooove the cover.

IceAlisa
12-04-2011, 10:07 PM
I haven't read Possession (although I mean to at some point), but I really liked The Secret History. I should re-read Bret Easton Ellis's The Rules of Attraction (http://www.amazon.com/Rules-Attraction-Bret-Easton-Ellis/dp/067162234X/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0) and The Secret History (they take place at the same college at the same time and cross reference each other). Unfortunately I didn't enjoy The Little Friend (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Friend-Donna-Tartt/dp/1400031699/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322831212&sr=8-1) as much.

Thanks, will check out The Rules of Attraction.

flyingsit
12-05-2011, 01:13 AM
This morning I finished Faith by Jennifer Haigh. I really enjoyed it, the characters were well-drawn, the sense of place was distinct, and I like her use of language.

jlai
12-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Did anyone see that PD James is coming out with an Austen sequel/murder mystery?

Death Comes to Pemberley

(sorry if it has been discussed.)

It'll be available tomorrow on Nook! Can't wait

emason
12-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Did anyone see that PD James is coming out with an Austen sequel/murder mystery?

Death Comes to Pemberley

You bet; Santa has been told in no uncertain terms that I expect this for Christmas.

zaphyre14
12-06-2011, 12:33 PM
I ran out of books to read on vacation (poor planning on my part) and picked up Karen Harper's "Shakespeare's Mistress" in the airport bookstore to have something to read on the plane. I've read Harper before and remember liking her work but it's been a while. Although I slept through most of the flight (thank heaven I got a whole center row to myself and could stretch out), I got into the book at home and am nearly finished. I know it's mostly fictionalized since no one really knows that much about Will and his relationship with his wife to begin with but I'm impressed with how Harper has taken the few little facts she has an woven a whole tapestry from them. I've added "The Queen's Governess" to my list of Books to Look For the next time I'm on a spree at B&N.

Marge_Simpson
12-07-2011, 06:07 AM
I never should have registered on the Hunger games website. I keep getting email from President Snow. :lol:

Buzz
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Just finished reading the Steve Jobs bio for a 2nd time and if you are interested in Apple, you should read the book. The beginning is so funny especially when it talks about his hippie days. There is alot about him in the book that is unflattering and contradictory, but I think the honesty in the book only helps to make the man seems even more appealing. The only thing that is perhaps not so obvious in the book is his father's death. There seems to be no mention of his passing at all. The omission seems a bit odd considering the brutal honesty of the book. I highly recommend this book to anyone interest in Apple or Jobs.