PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Fergus
11-30-2011, 01:34 AM
IMHO, Whitehead's Zone One isn't living up to the hype. :(

galaxygirl
11-30-2011, 01:38 AM
IMHO, Whitehead's Zone One isn't living up to the hype. :(

Yeah, I gave up after a few pages. Literary and zombies do not go together. :(

PrincessLeppard
11-30-2011, 03:40 AM
My sister found that one disappointing as well, but I really want to read it.

TygerLily
11-30-2011, 03:41 AM
Goodreads has The Night Circus up against Jasper Fforde's One of Our Thursdays Is Missing for best fantasy novel of 2011. (Along with some other titles I'm not familiar with.) I ask you, HOW is a person supposed to choose between those two?? :drama:

Don't. Read both.How was One of Our Thursdays is Missing? Usually I zip through Fforde novels in giddy glee, but I couldn't get into this one and then it was due back at the library.

Well. I don't think Kathy Reichs is a young adult novelist. #2 is sooo bad so far. I mean, these kids take a great risk to steal a priceless map from a freaking museum. They are techie geniuses with GPS tracking on each others' phones and they're always 4-way video chatting. Why didn't they just take pictures with their phones? A mere two chapters later one of them takes a picture of the map with his iPhone. :wall: Clearly, the map stealing must be significant to the plot somehow, but was there no editor brave enough to ask Reichs to give a more plausible reason for them to take it? Is Reichs really so out of touch with teenagers?

Wyliefan
11-30-2011, 04:24 AM
Don't. Read both.

Oh, I did. I'm saying I don't know which one to vote for.

I'm planning to read The Wings of the Dove next year. I've read both The Turn of the Screw and Daisy Miller so I should be up to the challenge, right?!?!! :yikes:

I've been meaning to read that one. We should challenge each other; a co-worker and I did that with The Three Musketeers (though she read it WAY faster than I did!).

How was One of Our Thursdays is Missing? Usually I zip through Fforde novels in giddy glee, but I couldn't get into this one and then it was due back at the library.

I enjoyed it. The usual fun read from Fforde, complete with the usual uneasy feeling in the back of my mind that I'm missing tons of literary references. :)

TygerLily
11-30-2011, 04:30 AM
I enjoyed it. The usual fun read from Fforde, complete with the usual uneasy feeling in the back of my mind that I'm missing tons of literary references. :):lol: What a perfect description!

Wyliefan
11-30-2011, 04:37 AM
:D There SO needs to be an annotated version of every book in that series!

galaxygirl
11-30-2011, 05:25 AM
Oh, I did. I'm saying I don't know which one to vote for.

I've been meaning to read that one. We should challenge each other; a co-worker and I did that with The Three Musketeers (though she read it WAY faster than I did

I would but I'm seriously afraid I won't make it through the first three pages. :lol: I understood enough of Turn of the Screw and Daisy Miller to follow the basic plot and those are two of his easier books! I'm also planning to read War and Peace next year if you or anybody else is interested in reading it.

Jenny
11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Started Donna Tartt's The Secret History--and how refreshing it is to encounter well-crafted prose after the substandard efforts of Ms. Gee. A very confident writer, this Donna Tartt.

Fascinating book, and yes, very well written. One of those ones where I remember exactly when and where I read it - it was when I first got a job in New York and had no place to live. I spent a week at the Algonquin (literary ghosts!), and then to save money I moved to the HoJo, which was so miserable that I went and sat in Central Park to read instead. Then I moved back to the Algonquin and finished the book. :)

I'm almost finished with Jennifer Crusie's "Maybe This Time." It's way more paranormal than I generally expect from her but I've liked it. The kids seem a little too much Addams Family and I like Southie more than North but it's been a decent read.

I've read all her books but wasn't big on all the collaborations she's been doing - the first two with Bob Mayer were good, but Wild Ride sounded so weird that I didn't bother, and then I waited for Maybe This Time to come out in PB instead of forking over for the hardcover.

Happily I really enjoyed it! Didn't mind the ghosts, would have liked more on the house, but that's just me. I do find however that her lead characters are starting to meld into one person - no doubt a version of herself.

The supporting characters are quite good though - you mentioned Southie and I also liked Lydia and Dennis, even if I didn't see the appeal of North. But the kids were piles of fun, and here's the good news - she's planning more for those characters (as well as Nadine from Faking It) as adults: http://www.jennycrusie.com/books/upcoming/

IceAlisa
11-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Fascinating book, and yes, very well written. One of those ones where I remember exactly when and where I read it - it was when I first got a job in New York and had no place to live. I spent a week at the Algonquin (literary ghosts!), and then to save money I moved to the HoJo, which was so miserable that I went and sat in Central Park to read instead. Then I moved back to the Algonquin and finished the book. :)

Glad you liked it! :)

I couldn't put it down last night :coffee: and wish I had a day off today to read it. This is the kind of book that readers who enjoyed Possession would appreciate although the subject matter is very different. The prose, while extremely well-crafted, is effortless and more readable than Byatt's.
The thing about Tartt's writing is that there is nothing I would change--she gets it exactly right. It can only be just so and not any other way. With a few of the books I have recently finished, I usually found plenty to complain about wrt the writing. Not here though. :kickass:

In fact, the prose is so good that I almost don't care about how the story develops. Oh and she can sketch out a character in a few paragraphs and you get an idea about them. Some people can spend two books and still not develop their protagonist.

Yoohoo, Wyliefan and PRLady, check it out.

galaxygirl
11-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Glad you liked it! :)

I couldn't put it down last night :coffee: and wish I had a day off today to read it. This is the kind of book that readers who enjoyed Possession would appreciate although the subject matter is very different. The prose, while extremely well-crafted, is effortless and more readable than Byatt's.
The thing about Tartt's writing is that there is nothing I would change--she gets it exactly right. It can only be just so and not any other way. With a few of the books I have recently finished, I usually found plenty to complain about wrt the writing. Not here though. :kickass:

In fact, the prose is so good that I almost don't care about how the story develops. Oh and she can sketch out a character in a few paragraphs and you get an idea about them. Some people can spend two books and still not develop their protagonist.

Yoohoo, Wyliefan and PRLady, check it out.

I've been wanting to read this but now I'm going to move it up my TBR list.

rfisher
11-30-2011, 06:45 PM
How was One of Our Thursdays is Missing? Usually I zip through Fforde novels in giddy glee, but I couldn't get into this one and then it was due back at the library.

Well. I don't think Kathy Reichs is a young adult novelist. #2 is sooo bad so far.

Because she's a good writer when she writes about forensic anthropology, but her plotting sucks. She's about made me stop reading the Tempe books. The last 3 made me want to scream. Unfortunately, she thinks she's a superior author due to the success of the first 3-4 books and the TV show.

NeilJLeonard
12-01-2011, 03:26 AM
I read the same NYT review and thought about ordering it. Guess I'm going to be getting this one too. But I do have the Lionheart book to read.

Still trying to get into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Still not worshipping it. The Night Circus is on my stand mocking me, maybe I'll dump the tattoo and join the circus instead? :lol:
My son had a whole list of titles on the Kindle he gave me for my b'day. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was one of them, as was the entire trilogy. I saw a movie trailer for it on TV the other night that made me check the Kindle to take a look at it to see what it was about. Five days or so later and I've finished the last of the entire Millennium Trilogy, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, this afternoon. I did not do much else for that period of time but read one of these books. I've not had anything like that happen in a long, long time.

Too bad Larsson died halfway through writing the next book in the series. I'd dearly love to find out what he had Lisbeth Salander doing next. But I'm not certain I could survive all 10 books he'd planned for the series....:cool:

NJL...;)

PrincessLeppard
12-01-2011, 03:29 AM
I started Beauty Queens today on my plan period at school and got nothing accomplished. Love it so far. :)

oleada
12-01-2011, 03:30 AM
Neil, you remind me of my uncle. While recovering from a heart attack, he devoured the books like never before. He isn't a huge reader, but he absolutely loved those

Maybe it's a guy thing? Because I tried to and couldn't get into them.