PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Nomad
11-21-2011, 05:11 AM
I've completely given up on trying to finish it; next time I go down to the basement to do laundry, Elantris is going right back onto the shelf from which I plucked it. Someone else in this building can give it a try.

I rather wish I'd pitched it into the donation box after the first few chapters. It was like watching a skater tank a potentially good program. The ideas were there, the execution was not.

Fergus
11-21-2011, 01:34 PM
I've got 1Q84 and 11/22/63 on my nightstand, staring at me while I sleep......

.....as soon as I'm done with Catherine the Great, I'm jumping in! :D

Jenny
11-21-2011, 01:51 PM
I agree.
For those of you in NYC, Massie is giving a talk on Catherine at the Tribeca branch of the 92nd Street Y on Dec. 1st, at noon.
I plan to attend, I can report back if anyone is interested.

Please do! The NY Times Book Review was quite positive on this one on the weekend.

oleada
11-21-2011, 05:32 PM
I stayed up way late finishing Divergent. It was quick, fun read if fairly predictable. But the heroine is likeable and strong and the story was interesting enough for me to pick.up the sequel when it comes out.

pair mom
11-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Robert K. Massie's new Catherine the Great bio is fantastic. :swoon:

Just bought this for my new Sony e-reader....So excited...His Nicholas & Alexandra was the reason I registered (and loved) the Russian history course in third year....a required course for honours history, but I took it as an elective :)...and it did NOT disappoint! Just hope I can figure out how to use the ereader functions when flipping back and forth to maps and text...Wish me luck! :)

Prancer
11-22-2011, 01:31 AM
Just hope I can figure out how to use the ereader functions when flipping back and forth to maps and text...Wish me luck! :)

Bookmarks!:)

IceAlisa
11-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Almost done with The Magician King. I like it a lot more than the first book although Grossman still sucks at character development.

A little dimension/complexity to his 2D characters wouldn't hurt but there are lots of good qualities in this book and even some depth of thought and intent. I am enjoying the problems that the final chapters are making me ponder. I think I will buy my own copy.
SPOILERS

Still dislike Quentin though. With him it's like:

*I am in a super-secret, uber competitive magical college studying to be a magician and encountering things and people that defy imagination. BOOOOOOOOHRING. :yawn:

*I am a King of a magical parallel universe country and am enjoying luxury, adoration of my subjects and my powers as a magician all at the same time. BOOOOOOOHRING. :yawn:

*I was flung back into the real world (after having yawned and complained about the BOOORING magical country) in the middle of Venice where I now live in a palazzo and talk to dragons residing in the Grand Canal. You guessed it. BOOOOHRING. :yawn: There is nothing I'd like more than to return to my royal duties in the magical kingdom. It's good to be the King. But I've heard them gods and high level magicians are the ones really bored.

And so on.

ChelleC
11-22-2011, 03:24 AM
Robert K. Massie's new Catherine the Great bio is fantastic. :swoon:

I'm number 4 in my library's queue for that one. I can't wait to read it. His Nicholas and Alexandra is one of the major reasons I love Russian history.

flyingsit
11-22-2011, 01:43 PM
I found Julia a much more compelling character than Quentin in The Magician King.

TanithandBenFan
11-23-2011, 02:24 AM
Just finished reading The Calling (http://jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com/2011/11/calling-by-ashley-lynn-willis.html), a paranormal romance by a new author, Ashley Lynn Willis. It's a great read (heavier on the romance than the paranormal) and the e-book is only 99 cents. :)

dbell1
11-23-2011, 02:53 PM
I agree.
For those of you in NYC, Massie is giving a talk on Catherine at the Tribeca branch of the 92nd Street Y on Dec. 1st, at noon.
I plan to attend, I can report back if anyone is interested.

Please do! The NY Times Book Review was quite positive on this one on the weekend.

I read the same NYT review and thought about ordering it. Guess I'm going to be getting this one too. But I do have the Lionheart book to read.

Still trying to get into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Still not worshipping it. The Night Circus is on my stand mocking me, maybe I'll dump the tattoo and join the circus instead? :lol:

cygnus
11-23-2011, 03:08 PM
I am sad about Anne McCaffrey's passing. I may just have to pull out my copy of Dragonsong ( which I haven't read in 30 years), and re-read it.

IceAlisa
11-28-2011, 01:37 AM
I am now reading The Scandal of the Season by Sophie Gee, who I believe is married to Lev Grossman, whose The Magician King I have just finished.

The book is based around Alexander Pope's poem The Rape of the Lock. The poem was based on an affair of two young people who belonged to the 18th century London high society. A fine idea for a book. I am only guessing but I wonder if Sophie Gee, among other things was saying, see, the society back then wasn't all that much different than today, what with the gossip, affairs and intrigue, except their tabloids were written by the likes of Alexander Pope, luckily for them.

The problem is, her character development is as meager as her husband's. I can't get a fully dimensional, complex impression of the people they are describing. For some reason I thought of Margaret Atwood and how good she is at character development. I miss that kind of fullness and intricacy of character that Atwood usually presents.

So back to the Scandal--one other flaw is that the prose is awkward, even amateurish. This is a Princeton professor of English lit we are talking about here and yet the prose is a problem.

I found Julia a much more compelling character than Quentin in The Magician King.
Me too.

I read an interview with Grossman where he says that Quentin's dissatisfaction reflects his own. He supposedly thought that if only he got into Harvard (he did) and then if only he published his first book (he obviously did) and then...I can totally understand setting one goal after another but one doesn't have to be constantly lamenting how bored one is with one's environment.

TygerLily
11-28-2011, 01:54 AM
I am sad about Anne McCaffrey's passing. I may just have to pull out my copy of Dragonsong ( which I haven't read in 30 years), and re-read it.I'm sad, too. :( I reread Dragonsong within the last few years; otherwise, I'd give it a another go over the holidays.

Currently reading boring smut. It it's going to be smut I at least want it to be interesting! (Latest Nora Roberts, and since I also found her last to be incredibly boring I'm thinking of just giving up on this one. It's a new trilogy and I have zero interest in the characters. Am I really going to spend time with them for two more books?)

Just finished the latest Louise Penny, which was just lovely. I read it slowly, over the course of a couple of weeks, but still enjoyed it a lot.

Up next is the second in Kathy Reichs's young adult series, you know, the one I swore I wouldn't read :shuffle: (but knew I probably would).

Evilynn
11-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Haven't caught up with this thread in ages, so sorry if I'm rehashing things. :)

I'm going to have to get a copy of that. I've yet to hear anyone say anything bad about it.

I've seen very mixed reviews, but if you don't believe the worst hype going into it it was a lovely read. :)

Finished it up tonight. I think it petered out a bit by the end, but overall, I thought it was wonderful. The reviews online seem to be either love it or hate it, and I loved it. I thought she did an amazing job of capturing the atmosphere of the circus and gave you the experience of being in this magical place. I wouldn't say it's creating a world (like say, JK Rowling does) but she does recreate the experience and atmosphere masterfully. It's a lot of description and not a whole of character development, and I do think the love story could have been developed further. But overall, it's a great read. I can't believe it's Morgenstern's first book :eek:.

I think beautiful is the best word for it, and sometimes, beautifully sad.

The funny thing was, while reading it I thought "this feels familiar" and I flipped over to the Acknowledgement section and noticed that she's listing/thanking Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com), and I realized a lot of it felt like the copy to BPAL's Carnaval Diabolique line. I can actually pinpoint some of the scents she describes in the book as various BPAL perfumes (so if you want to smell like Tsukiko's room, try BPAL's Sudha Segara)! it was a very weird case of "fandoms" colliding for me, but pretty cool none the less. :)

Almost done with The Magician King. I like it a lot more than the first book although Grossman still sucks at character development.

:rofl:You were the last person I thought would read it! I still haven't gotten around to picking it up myself.

The problem is, her character development is as meager as her husband's. I can't get a fully dimensional, complex impression of the people they are describing. For some reason I thought of Margaret Atwood and how good she is at character development. I miss that kind of fullness and intricacy of character that Atwood usually presents.

I spent a week arguing with someone on GoodReads that Atwood is fantastic with characters, and just because that someone didn't like a particular character didn't mean it was badly written...:duh:

I'm reading Rachel Caine novels at the moment. :shuffle: I'm always very tired this time of year, Morganville Vampires is about all my brain can muster. I did squeeze in Charles Stross's Palimpsest (http://www.amazon.com/Palimpsest-Charles-Stross/dp/1596064218/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322481844&sr=8-3), which was not quite as good as Catherynne M Valente's Palimpsest (http://www.amazon.com/Palimpsest-Catherynne-Valente/dp/0553385763/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322481882&sr=1-1), but still good.