PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
11-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Yes, but HP made me happy. The Magician made me annoyed. It could have been good, but it fell far short.

The Magicians made me annoyed too at times. Some parts were rather well-written though.

peibeck
11-09-2011, 08:29 PM
I finally polished off all of the "Hunger Games" trilogy. The first book was pretty good once you got through all the exposition. The second book just kind of seemed like a re-tread of the first book. And the third book was kind of a mess, although it did have a few good moments, but ultimately it would have been better if any of Katniss' choices hadn't been so predictable.

The movies are supposed to be PG-13 rated, which kind of flies in the face of the intense actions of the characters in these books. Granted they are supposed to be "young adult" fiction, but still... :lol:

Skip "A History of Witches." Completely. Unreadable. Crap.

Artemis@BC
11-09-2011, 09:20 PM
I couldn't finish The Magicians. It went in the discard pile about half way through the book.

That one is already loaded onto my Kobo and on my list for beach reading in Jamaica in January. But I have another 80 or so loaded if that one's a dud!

dinakt
11-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Oh I finished it. And will finish this one too, no doubt. This is a testament to my nostalgia for magical books since HP7 came out. My friend said to me upon finishing reading HP7: "I feel so empty." This is a grown woman and a mother of two. Since then she's been filling the void with Twilight :yikes: but I will not stoop so low, so here I am reading Grossman.

Have you tried "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman, for filling a fantasy void? A thick thick thick book, quite literary and yet a fantasy. Or his "Neverwhere", for an easier reading.
My favorite escapist fantasy series remain "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher, but one has to get through Books 1 and 2 to get to really fun storytelling.

I enjoyed the first 2/3rds of the "Magicians", and then it lost me. Still, I will probably pick up "The Magician King" at some point. Please post your thoughts when you are done.

flyingsit
11-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Ugh, I couldn't get through American Gods. I tried to read it a couple of years ago, and after about 100 pages I stopped torturing myself.

modern_muslimah
11-13-2011, 02:26 AM
I finished Lola and the Boy Next Door and ended up liking it a lot in the end. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. I'm currently trying to get through The Help. It's just not that interesting to me. If it wasn't for the book club meeting this coming Friday, I would've given up on it a long time ago. I managed to read some more today while at the gym but it's such a slow read for me.

zaphyre14
11-14-2011, 03:16 PM
I finished Steven Saylor's "The Mists of Prophesy" last night during a bout of insomnia. Lacking the ambition to get up and hunt through the New Book Bag in the other room, I grabbed the first unread book I found from the bedside pile. It's Jennifer Lee Carroll's "Haunt Me Still." I read about 50 pages before I fell asleep. It was okay reading for 2:00 AM.

IceAlisa
11-15-2011, 03:48 AM
New :sekret: theory on the death of Jane Austen. (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/theory-death-jane-austen-215024956.html) :sekret:

PrincessLeppard
11-15-2011, 03:52 AM
I'm reading a preview copy of a YA novel called Water Wars. The eville Canadians have dammed up all the rivers and there's a huge water shortage in the US.

Damn you, Canadians! I knew you weren't all sunshine and unicorns!

PrincessLeppard
11-15-2011, 03:52 AM
I'm reading a preview copy of a YA novel called Water Wars. The eville Canadians have dammed up all the rivers and there's a huge water shortage in the US.

Damn you, Canadians! I knew you weren't all sunshine and unicorns!

Nomad
11-15-2011, 03:57 AM
Have you tried "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman, for filling a fantasy void? A thick thick thick book, quite literary and yet a fantasy. Or his "Neverwhere", for an easier reading.
My favorite escapist fantasy series remain "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher, but one has to get through Books 1 and 2 to get to really fun storytelling.

I enjoyed the first 2/3rds of the "Magicians", and then it lost me. Still, I will probably pick up "The Magician King" at some point. Please post your thoughts when you are done.

My favorite fantasy novel is The Mists of Avalon. The rest of the series, not so much, but Mists was great.

IceAlisa
11-15-2011, 04:52 AM
My favorite fantasy novel is The Mists of Avalon. The rest of the series, not so much, but Mists was great.

I liked The Mists of Avalon too.

So far I am enjoying The Magician King a lot more than The Magicians. The reason is because the 1st book has a lot of Quentin The Bored.

The sequel has other people who are actually not bored and are interesting.

Spinner
11-17-2011, 06:35 PM
YES!! :cheer2: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's new novel, The Prisoner of Heaven, comes out next year! It's released in Spain today and in the UK next June. Can't wait!

flyingsit
11-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I will probably finish the Magician King tonight. And I'll probably just bring The Hours back to the library; I haven't bonded with it yet and there are too many other books to read.

mkats
11-17-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm working on Alison Weir's "Mary Boleyn", and I mean working, because I am not finding it tremendously compelling, nor do I find her evidence particularly convincing, and I think her attitude is kind of smug. To be honest, I'm not sure why I'm still reading it :shuffle: