PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
10-26-2011, 02:56 AM
Oh, now I'm with you. It might help if you got the title correct. :P

Excuse me. Before I Go to Sleep.

I don't want anyone to get confused and buy the book by accident :P.

Spinner
10-26-2011, 03:05 AM
Excuse me. Before I Go to Sleep.

I don't want anyone to get confused and buy the book by accident :P.

or Before I Sleep (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/817347.Before_I_Sleep) or Before I Sleep (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10789665-before-i-sleep) or Before I Sleep (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/534501.Before_I_Sleep_The_Last_Days_of_Dr_Tom_Dool ey). :P back at ya

TygerLily
10-26-2011, 04:08 AM
We're teachers. We're used to people not paying any attention. :drama:Yeah, yeah, but so am I! :o

Naw, it's just handy to know who likes the same kinds of books as me. I used to be absolutely terrible for buying people books that I liked and then the recipient would dislike them. By "used to" I mean that I'm getting slightly better at predicting who will like what. My poor grandfather sends the grandkids books every year that are so badly suited to us that it's basically a family tradition to not read them.

Buzz
10-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Just got myself a copy of Steve Jobs bio and plan on starting it today. :D

modern_muslimah
10-26-2011, 05:34 PM
I just finished reading Fever Cure (trashy romance novel). It took forever to finish because it wasn't that gripping to be honest. I think I'm done with Phillipa Ashley.

Now I'm reading The Help since my book club decided to read that. I'm only a few pages. I have to be honest and say that it wasn't my first choice but I didn't want to go against everybody. It seems like an easy read though.

PrincessLeppard
10-26-2011, 05:50 PM
I just read the write-up of IQ84. I will be buying that at the airport on Friday.

BelleBway
10-26-2011, 07:40 PM
I just read the write-up of IQ84. I will be buying that at the airport on Friday.

:)

I like it so far (only read the first 40 or so pages; I'm a really slow reader plus the furricanes are distracting)... but I was reading it before bed and had some really strange ass dreams so I'm sorta wondering if the 2 are related. :rofl:

Artemis@BC
10-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Eeeewwwww! I just heard that my local library was closed for a day because they found bedbugs in some of the books! :eek: I was supposed to go there after work today to pick up a book hold (which expires tonight), but now I'm afeared! They did bring in the bedbug-sniffing dog and steam the affected areas, and they've been given the all-clear ... but still. :yikes:

zaphyre14
10-27-2011, 03:46 PM
I finished Kathy Reichs' "Flash and Bones" and Barbara Hamilton's "Sup With the Devil" over the weekend. Of the two, I liked Hamilton's better, but that's probably because I have a soft spot for Abigail and John Adams and really enjoy the 1776 Boston area atmosphere. She does a good job of presenting the extent of the conflicting loyalties of the various groups active at the time and the many class distinctions that existed among the "all men are created equal" folks. Reichs got a little preachy in places but I can see where she's assuming that some people who picked up the book probably did so because of the TV show and she felt the need to fill them in on the backstory. I wish she'd stop twisting the men in Brennan's life around thoough and settle on one.

modern_muslimah
10-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Eeeewwwww! I just heard that my local library was closed for a day because they found bedbugs in some of the books! :eek: I was supposed to go there after work today to pick up a book hold (which expires tonight), but now I'm afeared! They did bring in the bedbug-sniffing dog and steam the affected areas, and they've been given the all-clear ... but still. :yikes:

:yikes::scream: Lord! Were some of the patrons sleeping with the books?

PrincessLeppard
10-28-2011, 12:19 AM
I've been known to fall asleep while reading in bed. Some books cure insomnia, you know?

Artemis@BC
10-28-2011, 12:21 AM
:yikes::scream: Lord! Were some of the patrons sleeping with the books?

I'm just assuming the bugs were transferred from someone's home to the library via a book. I don't think it would take too much effort for a bedbug from a bug-infested home to end up in a book ... particularly if the person reads in bed, as I do.

I did get the book in the end, but examined it very carefully first!

modern_muslimah
10-28-2011, 12:28 AM
I've been known to fall asleep while reading in bed. Some books cure insomnia, you know?

This is true.

I'm just assuming the bugs were transferred from someone's home to the library via a book. I don't think it would take too much effort for a bedbug from a bug-infested home to end up in a book ... particularly if the person reads in bed, as I do.

I did get the book in the end, but examined it very carefully first!

I was being facetious. I read books in bed myself. I know it's easy for the critters to travel. Well, I'm glad your book is ok and the library was fumigated.

genevieve
10-28-2011, 01:02 AM

there was a book release party for this on Monday at midnight (a la Harry Potter) at my local shop....and I forgot to go :shuffle: :duh:

I'll be picking it up this weekend.

Tonight, I go to a reading for Colson Whitehead's Zone One :cheer:

I will have lots to read on my upcoming sojourn. I may come back believing in the power of Teh Kindle :slinkaway

Marge_Simpson
10-28-2011, 05:02 AM
I picked up a hilarious book in Toronto the other day: "The U.S. of Eh? How Canada Secretly Controls the United States"
I HAD to buy it when I came across it in the bookstore. It was a sign that the novel I am going to write for NaNoWriMo is meant to be. :lol: