PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Grannyfan
10-03-2011, 06:14 PM
This book definitely destroys some myths about the "good old days".
The writing is rather uninspired but the information is eye-popping.

http://www.amazon.com/Way-We-Never-Were-Nostalgia/dp/0465090974/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317654863&sr=1-1

Sounds really interesting. I was raised in the 50's and 60's. I know my family wasn't perfect, but I'm wondering if the nostalgia that many of my generation feel for our growing years is due to the fact that parents didn't share their problems and worries with us. A lot of things my parents went through financially, personally, and in their marriage were simply not discussed with us kids, and I was totally unaware at the time. Maybe I was just a clueless doofus. But that was my situation, and I know other families faced problems so severe they didn't have to be discussed to be evident, and I also know all parents were not like mine.

As far as social issues went, we were aware of things, but looking back it seems like we weren't really troubled. Even the situation at L.R. Central High School just a couple of hours away seemed like another world. There are many, many things concerning those years I'd love to be able to talk about with my parents now. All of you whose parents are still living, take heed!

I do know that my parents never voted for Eisenhower. I was mortified to be just about the only kid in school whose daddy supported Adlai Stevenson. I passed the feeling along to my own kids later when I never voted for Reagan. :)

AT any rate, I'd like to read this book.

IceAlisa
10-03-2011, 06:27 PM
You'll probably be disappointed then. You either read it for the characters or toss it now. I love the series.

I am giving it a chance. :P I've encountered a few things I liked.

rfisher
10-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I am giving it a chance. :P I've encountered a few things I liked.

You'll be amazed at the number of murders that can occur in a tiny little village. :lol: Although, she does move the denizens out to other locations for some of the books.

Prancer
10-03-2011, 07:33 PM
This book definitely destroys some myths about the "good old days".
The writing is rather uninspired but the information is eye-popping.

http://www.amazon.com/Way-We-Never-Were-Nostalgia/dp/0465090974/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317654863&sr=1-1

Ah, one of my favorite nonfiction works and one I use all the time in classes.

Her other books are similar--uninspired, rather scholarly and dry writing, but with content that turns myths on their heads. Be sure to read The Way We Really Are, too.

You'll probably be disappointed then. You either read it for the characters or toss it now. I love the series.

ITA. That series definitely comes down to the characters.

Artemis@BC
10-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Would anyone care to comment on the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind? I'm still sorting through the collection of 500 or so e-books that was given to me and found this series, and I'm wondering how they rate. I don't read a lot of fantasy, but I do like it when it features a core group of well-developed characters and an internally consistent reality, and not too bogged down by esoterica. (My favourite fantasy series was the "Finoavar Tapestry" by Guy Gavriel Kay if that gives you any indication of my tastes.)

TIA

dbell1
10-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I bought "The Night Circus" and "The Dovekeepers" today. I love Alice Hoffman, so I can't wait to see what she does with the story of Masada. Now need to start back up on my bookshelf full of 'Read this next' selections. :lol:

Marge - what did you think about book 3 in the "Hunger Games"? Lep wants to know... :shuffle:

PRlady
10-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I downloaded Franzen's Freedom more than two months ago and there it sat. I finally started it last night and you know what? The man can write. He really can. His characters and their surroundings are just immediately there.

I know he's an arrogant SOB but he's got a bit of a reason for it.

rfisher
10-08-2011, 10:22 PM
I have John Sander's latest in his Virgil Flower's series: Shock Wave. I love the Flower's books even though I'm ambivalent about his Lucas Davenport series. I like Davenport better in the Flower's books than in his own. Virgil is one of my favorite fictional characters. Sanders takes an entirely different tack when he writes about Virgil. I like it well enough that I'm not flipping ahead to the end to find out who the mad bomber is as I normally do. I enjoy finding my way to the truth along with Virgil. Although the two characters are nothing alike, he and Pendergast are my fictional lovers. :) Reacher doesn't get to take a bath often enough for him to make the list. He'd just be an occasional one-night stand.

Allen
10-08-2011, 10:33 PM
I downloaded Franzen's Freedom more than two months ago and there it sat. I finally started it last night and you know what? The man can write. He really can. His characters and their surroundings are just immediately there.

I know he's an arrogant SOB but he's got a bit of a reason for it.

Yeah, Franzen is definitely on the d-bag train, but both The Corrections and Freedom are fabulously written novels. I don't even like most of his characters, but I find myself drawn to them nonetheless.

My favorite thing I've ever read of Franzen's; however, is his eulogy of David Foster Wallace, which I just adored.

Marge_Simpson
10-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Just finished "Catching Fire". It's amazing. Why didn't I read these books when they were first published?
Starting "Mockingjay" tonight when I get home from work.

PrincessLeppard
10-09-2011, 04:24 AM
You will not think it's amazing.

Marge_Simpson
10-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Yeah, I kind of figure that, based on what everyone said here, but I HAVE to read it.

rfisher
10-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Finished Shock Wave. I'm sad it's over because it made me smile a lot. I'm writing Sanders and tell him to abandon the Prey books and just focus on that *fecking* Flowers as he's affectionately known in the books. Off to finish the new Reacher next. And to see if I have a copy of the Count of Monte Cristo. The analysis Yehudi did in the Revenge thread makes me want to read the original.

Wyliefan
10-09-2011, 06:35 PM
I finished The Night Circus last night -- stayed up late to finish it, actually. I can see why it's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of book; she does a lot of unusual things, like all that jumping back and forth in time, and using those massive amounts of description. But personally, I loved it.

Japanfan
10-10-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm working my way through the eagerly anticipated bestseller 'Shadow of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I ordered it from the library and the waiting list was long, so when my copy came available I dropped the trilogy I'm enjoying by C.S. Friedman (starting with Feast of Souls). I just discovered Friedman in the The Coldfire Trilogy and am delighted to have found a new fantasy author I enjoy. . .

So far, I'm finding 'Shadow of the Wind' a slog. Yes, Zafon is a talented writer. Yes, I'm intrigued by the mystery and want it unraveled. Yes, the cast of characters in the book are charming and engaging.

But I'm just waiting for something to happen and the story is unfolding way too slow, and too often in long monologues. Plus, the monologues are in italicized text which is really hard to read.

Not to mention, this book has way too many endless descriptions for me. I enjoy descriptive writing but there comes a point where it's superfluous and distracts from the story.

I'm at page 290 of 480 pages total. The fact that I'm posting about it rather than reading it speaks to my frustration.

Basically, I'm disappointed. Hoping there is payoff at the end.