PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PrincessLeppard
10-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Enter at your own risk. :EVILLE:

PDilemma
10-01-2011, 10:44 PM
That was pretty much how I felt about The Help :shuffle:. In fact, it was much like The Lovely Bones, another very popular book that I read and definitely didn't see the way most people seemed to.

I was not all that impressed by The Lovely Bones. Haven't got hold of The Help yet and am less inclined to the more I read about it.

One I drug myself through and didn't get the hype about was The Time Traveler's Wife...ugh. Horrible book.

rfisher
10-01-2011, 11:42 PM
That was pretty much how I felt about The Help :shuffle:. In fact, it was much like The Lovely Bones, another very popular book that I read and definitely didn't see the way most people seemed to.

I read about a fourth of the Help and lost interest. :P

Marge_Simpson
10-03-2011, 03:23 AM
I just got around to reading "Hunger Games".
My friend's teenage daughter is always going on about them, so I assumed they were some silly vampire thing or some such. I stand corrected. I am hooked.
So I have ordered the next 2 volumes for my Nook. :lol:

IceAlisa
10-03-2011, 03:26 AM
Finished Victoria's Daughters.

It's a dog's life, I tell ya. I would not want to trade places with a 19th century British princess for all the money in the world.

cygnus
10-03-2011, 03:49 AM
Finished Victoria's Daughters.

It's a dog's life, I tell ya. I would not want to trade places with a 19th century British princess for all the money in the world.

I enjoyed that book, as well as individual bios of some of the daughters- Vicky, Louise and Beatrice in particular. They were an interesting lot, but being QV's daughter would have been a challenge for anybody. But they did all manage (except for Beatrice) to more or less escape their mother's grasp and live their own lives, and even Beatrice stood up to her mother and married the man she loved- albeit on her mother's terms!

But I do think that British princess lived freer lives than most Continental princesses in that era.

IceAlisa
10-03-2011, 04:43 AM
But I do think that British princess lived freer lives than most Continental princesses in that era.

That's true. Compared to the German royal households at least. From what I've read of the Russian royal households, they seemed to be a lot less rigid, at least under the female rulers (e.g., Elizabeth and Catherine).

However, I was comparing quality of their life to say, today's middle class. All those years of pregnancy, playing second fiddle to your husband, losing children, husbands and their own lives to now preventable infections diseases, perinatal morbidity and mortality, Victorian attitudes about sex, you name it.

Louise was so talented, who knew? That statue of Victoria she made is amazing! (http://sandstead.com/images/london/monuments/PRINCESS_LOUISE_portrait_statue_of_Queen_Victoria_ Kensington_Gardens_London_source_sandstead_d2h_01. jpg)

cygnus
10-03-2011, 03:35 PM
However, I was comparing quality of their life to say, today's middle class. All those years of pregnancy, playing second fiddle to your husband, losing children, husbands and their own lives to now preventable infections diseases, perinatal morbidity and mortality, Victorian attitudes about sex, you name it.

Louise was so talented, who knew? That statue of Victoria she made is amazing! (http://sandstead.com/images/london/monuments/PRINCESS_LOUISE_portrait_statue_of_Queen_Victoria_ Kensington_Gardens_London_source_sandstead_d2h_01. jpg)

That's true- life for Victorian women in general was tough- 20th and 21st century women often have no idea just how far we have come. Nostalgia for "the good old days" is for the most part based on a lack of knowledge of the social conditions of the day. My grandmother's cousin in the early 20th century had to watch 8 of her 10 kids die of TB in their teens and early 20s- something that was curable only a generation later.

Louise was amazingly talented, especially when you consider she had to fight the social conventions of the era- that considered sculpture not quite "ladylike" for a woman, let alone a princess to do (unlike painting, which was encouraged- several of QV's daughters were quite talented watercolourists). She was a strong woman to insist on studying it, and we have to give some kudos to the Queen for allowing her to take it up, even if she was reluctant to allow it at first.

Marge_Simpson
10-03-2011, 04:19 PM
This book definitely destroys some myths about the "good old days".
The writing is rather uninspired but the information is eye-popping.

http://www.amazon.com/Way-We-Never-Were-Nostalgia/dp/0465090974/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317654863&sr=1-1

Spinner
10-03-2011, 04:43 PM
For you collectors of classics, B&N is featuring a great showing of the Penguin Classic Deluxe Editions. I'm kinda drooling over many of the covers. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/penguin-classics-deluxe-edition/?size=70&sort=R&view=grid

zaphyre14
10-03-2011, 04:43 PM
In an attempt to lighten my mood, I started Janet Evanovich's "Wicked Appetite" and am giggling my way through some of the descriptions. It doesn't hurt that it's set in (sort of) my neck of the woods: Salem, MA. and has lots of occasionally-groan-worthy puns on witchcraft, tourists and cooking.

Allen
10-03-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm getting ready to star Helen Oyeyemi's Mr. Fox. Anyone read it?

I'm now hooked on Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assasin series. I'm starting book three after I finish Mr. Fox. Estep can come up with a great plot and characters, but I feel like her writing is still a little amateurish. She likes to repeat the same things over an over, which annoys the hell out of me, but somehow, despite that, I have fallen in love with the characters.

IceAlisa
10-03-2011, 05:15 PM
I was not all that impressed by The Lovely Bones. Haven't got hold of The Help yet and am less inclined to the more I read about it.

One I drug myself through and didn't get the hype about was The Time Traveler's Wife...ugh. Horrible book.

I liked TTTW and hated The Lovely Bones.

I am now taking a break from high brow writing and am reading Still Life, the first of the Inspector Gamache series.

I have to say the writing is rather disappointing and borderline amateurish. It seems like the whole book is composed of incomplete sentences. Well. Not entirely. But a lot.

I am hoping that the book will turn out like that painting introduced in the opening chapters--amateurish at first blush but a unique work of art on closer inspection.

rfisher
10-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I liked TTTW and hated The Lovely Bones.

I am now taking a break from high brow writing and am reading Still Life, the first of the Inspector Gamache series.

I have to say the writing is rather disappointing and borderline amateurish. It seems like the whole book is composed of incomplete sentences. Well. Not entirely. But a lot.

I am hoping that the book will turn out like that painting introduced in the opening chapters--amateurish at first blush but a unique work of art on closer inspection.

You'll probably be disappointed then. You either read it for the characters or toss it now. I love the series.

Marge_Simpson
10-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I recently got my coworker hooked on Sue Townsend's books. Adrian Mole's diaries send me into fits of hysterical laughter.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Diary-Adrian-Mole-Aged/dp/0060533994/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317661552&sr=8-2