PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

gkelly
09-29-2011, 04:24 PM
I was given a Kindle as a gift last winter. I read one book on it and downloaded 2 more but never got around to reading them.

There's no real off switch. Once it's on it stays on, even with the screensaver when it's not being used.

I just left it in my bag for a few months, not bothering to recharge it because I wasn't using it. But meanwhile the battery had completely died. When I tried recharging it I had no success.

My sister had a similar problem and was able to find a solution online. But her battery must have been only moribund, not completely dead and buried.

Since there's no in-person support, I'll have to try to get online or phone support from a technician. Probably I'll need to get a new battery. I suspect this gift will end up costing me money before I really get to use it.

But there are some books I want to read that are available for less money in Kindle format than in paperback, so I suppose I'll have to go through the hassle and expense to bring it back to life.

Artemis@BC
09-29-2011, 05:07 PM
... My sister had a similar problem and was able to find a solution online. But her battery must have been only moribund, not completely dead and buried...

Only in a book thread would the words "moribund" and "battery" appear in the same sentence. :cheer:

modern_muslimah
09-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I was given a Kindle as a gift last winter. I read one book on it and downloaded 2 more but never got around to reading them.

There's no real off switch. Once it's on it stays on, even with the screensaver when it's not being used.

The Kindle has a turn off switch (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1741429&postcount=14). In fact, if you took it on a plane, you would actually have to turn it off and not leave it in sleepmode (which is what it's on when the screensaver appears). In fact, Wil Wheaton (Dr. Crusher's son on Star Trek) wrote a diatribe (https://plus.google.com/108176814619778619437/posts/67GbHxjDTsn#108176814619778619437/posts/67GbHxjDTsn) about having to actually turn off his Kindle on an airplane.

Since there's no in-person support, I'll have to try to get online or phone support from a technician. Probably I'll need to get a new battery. I suspect this gift will end up costing me money before I really get to use it.

I would call Amazon. If it needs a new battery, you can send it in and they'll replace the battery. If I'm not mistaken, it's usually free.

But there are some books I want to read that are available for less money in Kindle format than in paperback, so I suppose I'll have to go through the hassle and expense to bring it back to life.

Hopefully, it won't be too much expense or hassle. From everything I've read about Amazon's CS, they usually go out of their way to help customers.

PrincessLeppard
09-29-2011, 07:58 PM
The Kindle has a turn off switch (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1741429&postcount=14). In fact, if you took it on a plane, you would actually have to turn it off and not leave it in sleepmode (which is what it's on when the screensaver appears). In fact, Wil Wheaton (Dr. Crusher's son on Star Trek) wrote a diatribe (https://plus.google.com/108176814619778619437/posts/67GbHxjDTsn#108176814619778619437/posts/67GbHxjDTsn) about having to actually turn off his Kindle on an airplane.

I was on a plane that was held up for 15 minutes because the bint next to me would not turn off her Kindle/Nook thingy because, according to her, "it's a book."

No, it isn't. I was ready to beat her with my book so she would understand the difference. :saint:

galaxygirl
09-29-2011, 08:36 PM
I was on a plane that was held up for 15 minutes because the bint next to me would not turn off her Kindle/Nook thingy because, according to her, "it's a book."

No, it isn't. I was ready to beat her with my book so she would understand the difference. :saint:

Why do you need to turn off your Kindle or Nook when you're on a plane? Can you just turn off the WiFi?

PrincessLeppard
09-29-2011, 08:37 PM
It only needs to be off during take off and landing, not the whole flight. Like all other electronic devices.

galaxygirl
09-30-2011, 02:50 AM
It only needs to be off during take off and landing, not the whole flight. Like all other electronic devices.

That makes sense, thanks!

Matryeshka
09-30-2011, 02:53 AM
I just assumed I've had to turn off my Kindle when on a plane--if you have to turn off your iPod, which also does not have wifi, it stands to reason you'd have to run off an ereader. Don't they say quite clearly " turn off all electronic devices"?

I swear, some people just look for a reason to complain.

Nomad
09-30-2011, 04:27 AM
Moving on, from sluts to murderesses: Jezabel, by Irene Nemirovsky, who's becoming one of my favorite writers of the 30s.

modern_muslimah
09-30-2011, 02:23 PM

I bet that was real fun. I don't understand why some people make it such a big deal to turn off e-readers and other gadgets during take off and landing.

Artemis@BC
09-30-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm a few chapters into Miriam Toews' The Flying Troutmans. I had read one of her previous books (the multiple award-winning A Complicated Kindness) and found it just okay, which is why I didn't rush to this one. But it's fabulous, so far I'm loving it. It has all the ingredients of a great story: flawed but loving family, a precocious pre-teen, an in-over-her-head-but-trying protagonist ... and a road trip.

My only complaint is that the author chose to write all her dialogue without quotation marks (and her editor/publisher chose to let her do that). Makes it sometimes a bit hard to follow at times, esp. since I do most of my reading at bedtime.

Erin
09-30-2011, 08:22 PM
I bet that was real fun. I don't understand why some people make it such a big deal to turn off e-readers and other gadgets during take off and landing.

I don't like having to do it. But I have never actually refused and can't fathom the thought of holding up a plane just to keep my e-reader on. That's just ridiculous.

After all the hype it's gotten (both good and bad), I decided to read The Help...of course, I had the same problem that other people here have had with juggling library books, where my spot on the hold list at the library came up at the same time that another book did and I already had two other books out. But since there's a huge waiting line for The Help, I'm reading it first, since I know I won't be able to get it out again for a while. I'm about 70 pages in and would describe it as reasonably enjoyable, probably will be a quick read, glad I got it from the library rather than buying.

Before that, I was in the middle of reading Six Wives by David Starkey about the wives of Henry VIII. I'm only up to Catherine of Aragon's wedding to Arthur, so there's a long way to go. It's reasonably interesting now that I'm into the meat of the book, but I was almost scared off by the introduction, which was incredibly pompous and self-congratulatory by the author. The guy should stick to the facts, he's a lot better at that.

Artemis@BC
09-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Before that, I was in the middle of reading Six Wives by David Starkey about the wives of Henry VIII. I'm only up to Catherine of Aragon's wedding to Arthur, so there's a long way to go. It's reasonably interesting now that I'm into the meat of the book, but I was almost scared off by the introduction, which was incredibly pompous and self-congratulatory by the author. The guy should stick to the facts, he's a lot better at that.

I read that book, and I saw the TV series they made from it. The TV series was much better, IMO. 'Nuf said. :slinkaway

Prancer
09-30-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm about 70 pages in and would describe it as reasonably enjoyable, probably will be a quick read, glad I got it from the library rather than buying.

That was pretty much how I felt about The Help :shuffle:. In fact, it was much like The Lovely Bones, another very popular book that I read and definitely didn't see the way most people seemed to.

RockTheTassel
10-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Finally finished Catching Fire. Not as good as the first book but still marvelous. I know I've been warned, but there's no way I can ignore Mockingjay.