PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
09-27-2011, 02:25 AM
How is the return rate? That to me is more shocking than user fees!

The library in question is the main library at my school and the return rate must be good, as they have never charged late fees that I know of. I know they haven't for at least the last 50 years.

The fact that most students don't know this is the case might have something to do with the high return rate, though :shuffle:.

TygerLily
09-27-2011, 02:28 AM
:rofl:

Yeah. I bet that's it. The students just assume and the faculty likely have term loans, anyway!

star_gazer11
09-27-2011, 08:27 AM
The e-book & audiobook system is a bit different, it's provincial rather than by municipal library. There are no fees at all there, but because it's province wide it's a lot harder to figure out how long your hold will be.

In the e-library listings, it shows how many hold there are. And how many copies the library has; some books have multiple copies available like print books.

I'm guessing most people don't bother to change to the default due date setting of a three week loan, and that they might not know you can return an item early through ADE when you're done with it. So I use an estimate of 3 weeks per person ahead of you in the hold line.

That's the beauty of ebooks - no late fees, because the book 'expires' by itself.

mkats
09-27-2011, 01:43 PM
My current library only does late fines.

The last library I belonged to though (university) charged $150.00 per lost item minimum, more if it was deemed to be worth more. :yikes: Once I dropped off a paperback novel and three weeks later they told me that I didn't return it and owed them $150.00; I more or less pitched a fit and a few days later they told me they had found it.

After that, I used to stand around and watch from a distance to make sure the books I dropped off got checked back in :shuffle:

Lara
09-28-2011, 04:53 PM
New gadget day! Amazon released their tablet, the Kindle Fire priced at $199 plus new e-ink Kindle models (cheapo $79, a wifi touch version at $99 and a 3G touch at $149).

And I just got an email from B&N called "new reasons to love the Nook Color" discounting it to $224. :P I really hope they have something in store for the holiday season, eek.

Allskate
09-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Amazon really is doing its best to lure me over to the dark side. I just received a $100 gift certificate to Amazon. That "Touch" is looking tempting. Must resist.

Prancer
09-28-2011, 07:38 PM
And I just got an email from B&N called "new reasons to love the Nook Color" discounting it to $224. :P I really hope they have something in store for the holiday season, eek.

Rumor has it that they have two new devices ready to go.

rfisher
09-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Got the new Reacher. :D This one is set in Reacher's past, just before he quit the Army. I'm assuming it gives the real reason why. LC has never really said in the other books. It's also in first person. I prefer those books. Reacher seems less machine like than in some of the other, superhero books. LC left us hanging with whether or not Reacher will hook up with his new MP sweetie. Maybe he'll get back to that in the next installment. ::waves at Prancer::

Spinner
09-28-2011, 11:41 PM

Strictly on a price comparison basis, is it worth $25 for you to be able to actually try the device and get in-person help whenever you need it?

Though I hear the new Kindle has different bells and whistles, I wonder if they'll have them in the market to try before you buy. I'd be curious how they compare to the Nook Color in action.

PrincessLeppard
09-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Spinner is contemplating the dark side. :sekret:

Spinner
09-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Spinner is contemplating the dark side. :sekret:

Notsomuch. My pile of actual books is so massive I can never die.

Allskate
09-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Strictly on a price comparison basis, is it worth $25 for you to be able to actually try the device and get in-person help whenever you need it?

Though I hear the new Kindle has different bells and whistles, I wonder if they'll have them in the market to try before you buy. I'd be curious how they compare to the Nook Color in action.

The current Kindle is available at stores like Target and Best Buy. I assume the new one will be as well. I have lots of books on my shelves that I haven't read. It doesn't stop me from getting more books or going to the library, so I doubt it would stop me from getting a Kindle. The cost has been what has been stopping me, but the prices just keep getting lower. They've already lowered the price on the current Kindle to as little as $79.

Lara
09-29-2011, 12:23 AM

FWIW, I did have my Nook freeze on me and a visit to B&N did the trick. I expect the Kindle to be sold at Target/Walmart/Best Buy as Allskate said, but I wouldn't expect any support excepting maybe Best Buy.

That said it's supposed to be easy to ship products back to Amazon. It just won't be a same day process. I bet they have phone/web tech support though to try to solve any problem before sending it away.

Amazon has the "ecosystem" for videos and music, otherwise not sure the tablet itself is that different to the Nook Color though I assume the processor's a bit speedier having come out later. One thing I noted was that the Kindle Fire has no side volume rocker/buttons - I know I'd find that absence annoying since I did with the first gen iPod Touch years ago. And the memory space's not expandable via SD card. Website browsing looks like it'll probably be better though since Amazon made a point of highlighting that "Silk" technology.

In any case I'll be interested in hearing more comparisons when the Fire comes out. And see how B&N responds since this price drop probably isn't going to do it alone...

Nomad
09-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Notsomuch. My pile of actual books is so massive I can never die.

Same here. I have a bad habit of loving one or two books by an author and then I HAVE to get every other book s/he wrote. Fine if said author is Jane Austen (seven volumes); a bit problematic when it's Anthony Trollope (50+ volumes).

flyingsit
09-29-2011, 02:13 PM
I finished two books the other day: Beautiful Boy by David Sheff and How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper.

Beautiful Boy is a father's story of his son's drug addiction and it is just heartbreaking to read. The son has also written a book of his own called Tweak which I need to put on my list.

Widower is the second Tropper book I've read recently and I am becoming a serious fan of his.