PDA

View Full Version : A skating accident in Finland

Pages : 1 [2]

nlyoung
09-16-2011, 02:30 AM
How horrible! Hockey playing children aren't allowed on the ice without Kevlar neck guards to protect against this. I can remember when my daughter was learning to skate in the Canskate program (for hockey and figure skaters). She had a helmet, which was mandatory, but no face guard the first week but after watching the little ones falling all over the ice with blades flashing, I ran out the next day and got the face mask to go with it. Helmets with face masks are mandatory for hockey at all levels, but once figure skaters learn to skate they're on their own. I'm surprised we don't hear about more such incidents, especially among dancers and pair skaters.

vesperholly
09-16-2011, 04:55 AM
I'm surprised we don't hear about more such incidents, especially among dancers and pair skaters.

Honestly, probably because there aren't that many incidents. Figure skating is not a contact sport like hockey, and figure skaters learn quickly to stay far apart from each other, especially during things like camel spins and spirals. One of the first things that children in classes learn is how to fall properly. IMO, better to teach them caution than bundle them up against all imaginable possibilities. Face masks can be equally problematic because they impair vision - very important to be able to watch out for skaters.

I've skated for about 20 years (thousands of hours on low- and high-level freestyle ice) and taught learn to skate for over 10 years, and not once has anyone been cut by someone else's blades. Plenty of sprains, including a few to myself, and other injuries, but blades? No, thank god. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I think it's rare.

pair mom
09-16-2011, 05:29 AM
[QUOTE=nlyoung;3291706]How horrible! Hockey playing children aren't allowed on the ice without Kevlar neck guards to protect against this. I can remember when my daughter was learning to skate in the Canskate program (for hockey and figure skaters). She had a helmet, which was mandatory, but no face guard the first week but after watching the little ones falling all over the ice with blades flashing, I ran out the next day and got the face mask to go with it. Helmets with face masks are mandatory for hockey at all levels, but once figure skaters learn to skate they're on their own. I'm surprised we don't hear about more such incidents, especially among dancers and pair skaters.[/QUOT

Sadly my son was a competitive pair skater and almost lost his index and middle finger after falling in a twist and his partner came down on his hand. Surgery and almost of year of physio to try to straighten the index finger to no avail. Thankfully it was his left hand and he is right handed. And I know of a few other pair fellows who have had similar injuries to their hands as well as a couple of dancers... so they do happen...:(

halffull
09-16-2011, 05:34 AM
How very sad. My thoughts are with all involved.