PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Bulanhagui to represent Philippines

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11

ProgramerUSFS
11-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Proud to announce, Melissa won today :-) along with Christopher Caluza winning the senior men's title.

Thats great. I thought they would do it. Does anyone have the top three scores and link to the score sheets?

Sylvia
11-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Last year, some results from Philippine Nationals were published in an article only, IIRC.

TDsk8, any chance you could get the complete final scores for Senior Ladies/Men and Junior Ladies/Pairs and post them in the Philippine Nationals thread in Kiss and Cry? Link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81282
Good for Melissa and Chris!

Melissa tweeted after the SP that she was angry at popping her 3S -- hope she was happier with her FS performance! :)

ballerynna
11-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Oh damn I forgot all about Philippine Nationals, and I think I was in the area too when it was going on

Congrats to Melissa and everyone else who won!

RD
11-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Melissa tweeted after the SP that she was angry at popping her 3S

So that's what it was...I remember seeing the tweets and having NO idea what she was talking about (she didn't elaborate other than saying she was "angry", saying "so many curse words", etc.)

ProgramerUSFS
11-27-2011, 09:38 PM
So that's what it was...I remember seeing the tweets and having NO idea what she was talking about (she didn't elaborate other than saying she was "angry", saying "so many curse words", etc.)

I have a funny thought that the ice might not be very good at the mall, so maybe that contributed to the missed jump. I have heard that some of the foreign rinks have pretty bad ice.

ballerynna
11-28-2011, 04:11 PM
I have a funny thought that the ice might not be very good at the mall, so maybe that contributed to the missed jump. I have heard that some of the foreign rinks have pretty bad ice.

Oh the ice there sucks, one part is soft because there's a huge skylight on top of it

aftershocks
11-29-2011, 03:16 AM
I'm starting to think that it's unfair to force a skater to represent a country, rather than represent themselves. How many skaters are good but don't have the good fortune to have a mother who's half-Asian but are born in the US (as someone mentioned half the competitors at Four Continents being.) Country borders simply hold back skaters, rather than allowing them to compete at their full potential. I would like to think we are becoming a "beyond-borders" type world, but with everything revolving around making the Olympics, which will never banish country teams, it seems impossible to make happen. With countries competing against each other being all about "fairness", it really seems to be the opposite of fair, with so many situations coming into play - such as being held back at nationals, unequal funding/support across countries, etc.

ITA! It would be interesting to see how the concept of skating and competing as an individual might work (similar to Tennis, where players are ranked on their wins for major events, and then compete as a team for Davis Cup, which is completely separate). However, this might be more difficult to apply for skating. But it does seem to be warranted, especially now that there is so much depth, in particular in the men's ranks in the U.S. and Japan. It would allow at least the opportunity for high quality skaters like Adam, Ross, Ricky, et al., and up-and-coming skaters in Japan to compete at Worlds based on talented ability and not on how they rated among a deep Nationals field.

There might then be held an additional B-level international championship event for skaters who don't qualify for Worlds based on their individual abilities, unrelated to their country affiliation. This would allow more participation at Worlds for talented skaters and more medal opportunities in general for many skaters. Olympics participation would still be country-based individually, and perhaps they could add a team competition there too, allowing for more participants from countries with a depth of talent.

Congratulations to Melissa!

UDelpairs2012
12-01-2011, 05:11 PM
ITA! It would be interesting to see how the concept of skating and competing as an individual might work (similar to Tennis, where players are ranked on their wins for major events, and then compete as a team for Davis Cup, which is completely separate). However, this might be more difficult to apply for skating. But it does seem to be warranted, especially now that there is so much depth, in particular in the men's ranks in the U.S. and Japan. It would allow at least the opportunity for high quality skaters like Adam, Ross, Ricky, et al., and up-and-coming skaters in Japan to compete at Worlds based on talented ability and not on how they rated among a deep Nationals field.

There might then be held an additional B-level international championship event for skaters who don't qualify for Worlds based on their individual abilities, unrelated to their country affiliation. This would allow more participation at Worlds for talented skaters and more medal opportunities in general for many skaters. Olympics participation would still be country-based individually, and perhaps they could add a team competition there too, allowing for more participants from countries with a depth of talent.

Congratulations to Melissa!

There already is a team event planned to start in 2014 in Solchi
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=45988&type=media

(there is also going to be a mixed NOC team event in Innsbruck at the 1st Winter Youth Olympic games in January 2012)

gotice
12-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Congrats to Melissa! Great news for her future in international skating and the Philippines

FSWer
12-02-2011, 06:58 PM
http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2011/09/14/melissa-bulanhagui-to-represent-philippines/

I'm not quite following. Do we mean in future Olympics? Because I don't see how she can represent her Club...as well as the Philippines at the same time. BTW. while were on the subject of her Parents..I don't recall any mention of their names in the Skating World. Does anyone happen to know who they are? Just wondering.

Skittl1321
12-02-2011, 07:03 PM
FSWer- Melissa will represent the Phillipines in any future competition. I think technically she can still skate for her USFSA club in non-qualifying competitions, but she can no longer skate in qualifying competitions (like nationals- or anything international) for the USA.

She is not yet eligible to go to World's because the USA has to "release" her. If they don't release her, then she won't be able to skate for the Phillipines internationally, and will instead go back to skating for the USA. I'm guessing, since she has gone and skated at won the Phillipines national championship, she is pretty confident the USA will release her to them for international competition.

And yes, I would presume her goal is to qualify for the Olympics. She was not a top tier US athlete, so she likely never would have here. Skating for the Phillipines means she will have more chances to skate in international competition, and should likely get to go to the Olympics (although it didn't look like she won the nationals by a landslide, so maybe there is another athlete who might give her a run for her money- but the chance is much higher than if she skated for USA.)

I do not think her parents were skaters- she is just saying this is for her parents because they are both from the Philipines.

Ziggy
12-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Because I don't see how she can represent her Club...as well as the Philippines at the same time.

She can.

Stacey Kemp/David King, to give one example, represented Great Britain (country) and MKS Axel Torun (Polish figure skating club where they used to train).

Sylvia
12-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Melissa Bulanhagui is still based at the University of Delaware and can continue to represent her longtime club in U.S. club competitions while also representing the Philippines internationally starting next season (2012-13).

Just noticed that Melissa's blog about her experience at Philippine Nationals isn't posted in this thread: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111126&content_id=26044218&vkey=ice_news

ETA:

while were on the subject of her Parents..I don't recall any mention of their names in the Skating World. Does anyone happen to know who they are? Just wondering.
Melissa's nickname for her father is "Big Al" (she refers to him in the blog link I posted above).

FSWer
12-02-2011, 07:43 PM
How is she not elible for Worlds?...Any Skater can qualify for Worlds...can't they?

LilJen
12-03-2011, 03:36 AM
How is she not elible for Worlds?...Any Skater can qualify for Worlds...can't they?

In her situation, it's not qualifying that is the problem. She has skated for the USA internationally before, and thus as Skittl noted above, the USFS has to "release" her to skate internationally for another country. Either that or she has to get Philippine citizenship, which I think would get around the "release" clause.