PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Bulanhagui to represent Philippines

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11

leafygreens
09-18-2011, 07:37 PM
The sport is not all about medaling at Worlds or Olympics.

For a skater who is good enough to compete internationally but comes from a country with many skaters who are good enough to compete internationally, switching to a different country with a less crowded field can be about getting more opportunities to compete at the international level, including perhaps Worlds or Olympics.

I'm starting to think that it's unfair to force a skater to represent a country, rather than represent themselves. How many skaters are good but don't have the good fortune to have a mother who's half-Asian but are born in the US (as someone mentioned half the competitors at Four Continents being.) Country borders simply hold back skaters, rather than allowing them to compete at their full potential. I would like to think we are becoming a "beyond-borders" type world, but with everything revolving around making the Olympics, which will never banish country teams, it seems impossible to make happen. With countries competing against each other being all about "fairness", it really seems to be the opposite of fair, with so many situations coming into play - such as being held back at nationals, unequal funding/support across countries, etc.

victoriaheidi
09-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm starting to think that it's unfair to force a skater to represent a country, rather than represent themselves. How many skaters are good but don't have the good fortune to have a mother who's half-Asian but are born in the US (as someone mentioned half the competitors at Four Continents being.) Country borders simply hold back skaters, rather than allowing them to compete at their full potential. I would like to think we are becoming a "beyond-borders" type world, but with everything revolving around making the Olympics, which will never banish country teams, it seems impossible to make happen. With countries competing against each other being all about "fairness", it really seems to be the opposite of fair, with so many situations coming into play - such as being held back at nationals, unequal funding/support across countries, etc.

OMG, this is seriously all I could think of when I read your post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-dvNa_5DL8

overedge
09-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Country borders simply hold back skaters, rather than allowing them to compete at their full potential. I would like to think we are becoming a "beyond-borders" type world, but with everything revolving around making the Olympics, which will never banish country teams, it seems impossible to make happen. With countries competing against each other being all about "fairness", it really seems to be the opposite of fair, with so many situations coming into play - such as being held back at nationals, unequal funding/support across countries, etc.

But basing entries on countries at least gives skaters from smaller countries the chance to even get into the Olympics or Worlds. Do you think that, if there was some kind of "open qualification" system with no restriction on the number of entries from any country, skaters from less-well-funded countries with poorer facilities and fewer coaches would have any chance at all against skaters from e.g. the US?

Cheylana
09-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Late to the discussion, but I am so pleased for Melissa! At the very least, she'll get to go to 2013 4CCs, and hopefully also 2013 Worlds, maybe 2014 Olympics! :cheer2:

TDsk8
09-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Actually for the competition and shows, the MoA management puts up black curtains around the rink and the floors above it. The competitions are not free. Tried to sneak in on a show once, if it wasn't for my friend's fast talking I might've gotten into trouble with the mall police

She's not gonna train here I bet. All the other Fil-Am skaters that represent the Philippines only come here for competitions

Ahhhhh interesting :-) Thanks for the info

Melissa will continue to train here in USA - like the others as you said

Hope to meet you this November :)

TDsk8
09-19-2011, 03:59 PM
I just want to clarify my posts regarding the "First Filipina" to compete at the winter games. What I meant was, it would just be the first time for Philippines to participate at the Winter Olympic Games.

Ziggy
09-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Figure skating would cease to exist in most places then.

Stormy
09-19-2011, 07:20 PM

But then what does the Olympics stand for then? You represent and compete for your country....not yourself. The Olympics are all about something bigger than yourself.

Seerek
09-19-2011, 07:32 PM
I just want to clarify my posts regarding the "First Filipina" to compete at the winter games. What I meant was, it would just be the first time for Philippines to participate at the Winter Olympic Games.

Melissa could very well make it for 2014 to be the first, and who knows? perhaps Michael Christian Martinez could qualify for Pyeongchang in 2018 (he'll be 21 by then) to be the second person to qualify for the Olympics.

Cheylana
09-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Didn't Megan Williams-Stewart try something similar by switching to skate for Puerto Rico a few years ago? She didn't qualify for a spot for the 2010 Olympics, but anyone know if she is still competing?

TDsk8
09-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Melissa could very well make it for 2014 to be the first, and who knows? perhaps Michael Christian Martinez could qualify for Pyeongchang in 2018 (he'll be 21 by then) to be the second person to qualify for the Olympics.

That would be awesome :-) I'd like to meet Michael in the future and wish him the best :)

lexeoe
09-20-2011, 04:40 AM

the philippines already competed twice at the winter olympics first in 1972 then in 1988. she will be the first philippine figure skater to qualify if she goes to sochi.

RD
09-20-2011, 05:13 PM
FTR, her 2010 Nebelhorn score would have placed her 21st at Worlds this year and 20th at last year's Worlds.

ProgramerUSFS
09-20-2011, 07:23 PM
FTR, her 2010 Nebelhorn score would have placed her 21st at Worlds this year and 20th at last year's Worlds.

Lets assume we are at the 2013 Worlds and she places 21st as you suggest. Will they gain a slot based on that? Or for that matter, lets assume it was the 2009 Worlds and she is trying for 2010. Would they have gained a slot?

Vagabond
09-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Lets assume we are at the 2013 Worlds and she places 21st as you suggest. Will they gain a slot based on that? Or for that matter, lets assume it was the 2009 Worlds and she is trying for 2010. Would they have gained a slot?

The qualification system is for the individual country (the Philippines), which chooses whom to send to the Olympics.

24 ladies spots were determined at 2009 Worlds, and, as it happened, the lowest-ranked skater who qualified a spot for her o****ry was the 21st place finisher, Tugba Karademir.

The remaining six spots were determined at a qualifying tournament (Nebelhorn).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_skating_at_the_2010_Winter_Olympics_-_Qualification#Country_qualification

There's no guarantee, but an Olympic berth (via Worlds or the qualifying tournament) looks feasible.