PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Bulanhagui to represent Philippines

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

salsalicious
09-16-2011, 08:27 AM
The Azerbaijan comment was aimed at Azerbaijan's flexible citizenship policies re skaters, not at Melissa.

I seem to recall similar jokes at Azerbaijan's expense being made when Fedor Andreev and Joelle Forte were associated with that country, so I'm not sure why similar comments are suddenly so offensive in relation to another skater.

Because Melissa is not skating for Azerbaijan as a random country but rather a country from which both her parents came and she has a legitimate connection to.

I am excited for her and I love the out pour of support she is receiving here. Regardless of whether some people seem to need to weigh her decision upon her likelihood of earning world or Olympic medals I think her well deserved opportunity to qualify and compete in these championships is all the justification needed.

paskatefan
09-16-2011, 11:39 AM
I posted a message to Melissa on her Facebook wall, asking her if she is still planning on training in Delaware. She said that she intends to do that. :D

TDsk8
09-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Or they'll hold it elsewhere. I believe Puerto Rico has held their championship in New Jersey so there's president.

Nahs, same location :) I confirmed when I met with them this April.
I do not think they will relocate its location since they have the 200 x 100 size rink facility. And PSU is based at that rink.

TDsk8
09-16-2011, 02:30 PM
I am excited for her and I love the out pour of support she is receiving here. Regardless of whether some people seem to need to weigh her decision upon her likelihood of earning world or Olympic medals I think her well deserved opportunity to qualify and compete in these championships is all the justification needed.

Yes, thank you all for your support :cheer2:

jlai
09-16-2011, 02:32 PM
I think last nationals where Melissa skated clean and still stuck in the middle of the pack is probably what helps the decision.

I'm looking forward to seeing her compete at 4CC and worlds next year.

Seerek
09-16-2011, 02:38 PM
FYI, The 2010-2011 Philippines National championships (held in December) had the following results for ladies:

Zhaira Costiniano - 121.27
Mericien Venzon - 103.2
Mary Grace Baldo - 93.25

Melissa's score at 2010 Nebelhorn was 133.72

TDsk8
09-16-2011, 02:47 PM
FYI, The 2010-2011 Philippines National championships (held in December) had the following results for ladies:

Mericien Venzon - 103.2
Mary Grace Baldo - 93.25

And from 2011 US Nationals 144.53 :)

Sylvia
09-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Is she still attempting the 3A? She seemed pretty close the times she tried it at Liberty, I was always disappointed she didn't try to do it at Nats.
Bulanhagui wasn't at her best at the Broadmoor Open back in June -- she attempted the 3A in her fun Egyptian Disco SP but it looked 2-footed and underrotated on the webcast. I believe this is the only time she has competed so far this season due to health and other matters. I hope she's been able to resume regular training by now for Philippine Nationals in November.

Zhaira Costiniano's Junior SP scores at the Broadmoor Open were in Bulanhagui's range, and she is attempting 3Lz now. She's a good skater from the Dallas, TX area who has qualified previously for US Nationals at the Intermediate and/or Juvenile levels.

RD
09-16-2011, 03:06 PM
She should not have any issues over at their Nationals. Should be an easy win for her

The point is to stay in reasonable shape until the international scene opens up to her again. I take it that's the emphasis of the Switch.

MacMadame
09-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Mericien Venzon - 103.2
Mary Grace Baldo - 93.25

Hey, I know two of those kids... they train in my area!

Eislauffan
09-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Hey, I know two of those kids... they train in my area!

Maybe the Philippine Skating Federation should hold their Nationals in the US. :-D

livetoskate
09-18-2011, 06:04 AM
She will :) Melissa will be the first Filipina athlete to compete at the Winter Olympic Games. You will see her from fall of 2012 until 2014 Games and Worlds :biggrinbo

Just wanted to mention that Tai Babilonia's father was Filipino. RE: Melissa, this is great news. I have always enjoyed her performances, and she's always looking so happy on the ice. She also seems like a really nice person.

apollo13
09-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Just wanted to mention that Tai Babilonia's father was Filipino. RE: Melissa, this is great news. I have always enjoyed her performances, and she's always looking so happy on the ice. She also seems like a really nice person.

Elizabeth Punsalan's father is Filipino. Amanda Evora's parents are both Filipino. Both skaters went to the Olympics. Tai went to the Olympics but did not skate due to her partner's injury.

Seerek
09-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Elizabeth Punsalan's father is Filipino. Amanda Evora's parents are both Filipino. Both skaters went to the Olympics. Tai went to the Olympics but did not skate due to her partner's injury.

Keep in mind though that Babilonia/Gardner were 5th at 1976 Olympics at Innsbruck

ballerynna
09-18-2011, 04:12 PM
:) The SM Mall of Asia rink is smack in the middle of the mall - just like Tonya Harding's rink, where one can just go on the second floor level and look on. When I was in Manila on April - the rink has a few steps surrounding the surface where one can sit and watch (not really a bleacher type of seating). On the second floor is the foot court - so you can just pick a table where its over looking the rink. So I am guessing that admission will be free for the championship.

Actually for the competition and shows, the MoA management puts up black curtains around the rink and the floors above it. The competitions are not free. Tried to sneak in on a show once, if it wasn't for my friend's fast talking I might've gotten into trouble with the mall police

She's not gonna train here I bet. All the other Fil-Am skaters that represent the Philippines only come here for competitions