PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Bulanhagui to represent Philippines

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

overedge
09-15-2011, 09:06 PM
The Azerbaijan comment was aimed at Azerbaijan's flexible citizenship policies re skaters, not at Melissa.

I seem to recall similar jokes at Azerbaijan's expense being made when Fedor Andreev and Joelle Forte were associated with that country, so I'm not sure why similar comments are suddenly so offensive in relation to another skater.

RD
09-15-2011, 09:14 PM
I seem to recall similar jokes at Azerbaijan's expense being made when Fedor Andreev and Joelle Forte were associated with that country, so I'm not sure why similar comments are suddenly so offensive in relation to another skater.

Maybe it has to do with a particular skater being more well-liked than another ;)

TDsk8
09-15-2011, 09:29 PM
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-203191-220414-166536-0-file,00.pdf

Rule 109(2)(b):

Nebelhorn 2010 was less than twelve months before July 1, 2011. Accordingly, she can't skate for the Philippines this season.

Thank you for researching and posting this :)

Jenna
09-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Oh wow.... Is there any ice rinks in the Phillipines at all?

I presume she would still train in the US.

kwanfan1818
09-15-2011, 09:36 PM
This isn't country hopping, IMO, any more than Ksenia Makarova switching to represent Russia was.
Makarova is a Russian citizen, so there's not a lot of switching going around there. She's listed as having competed for Russia as early as Jr. Grand Prix. I'm not sure that competing through the USFS system without representing US internationally means she ever represented the US. At US championships, the skater represents the club. I'm not sure that she's a US citizen, although she's almost certainly a green card holder, and could have represented the US as a resident.

So many different scenarios: there's Andreev, who holds multiple citizenships, three of which are in countries in which he has ample connection, and can compete for many countries. There are dancers and pairs skaters who can't find partners in their own country, others who get a better deal elsewhere.

That's not necessarily good enough, unfortunately. There are only 24 spots overall, and countries with two or one entrants at Worlds that end up finishing with high enough combined rankings end up taking multiple slots. If the Philippines doesn't directly qualify a spot, then it all comes down to one early fall competition.
For the Olympics, yes; she also will have an entire season of international experience by then, and maybe a few summer/early fall warm-up events leading to the Olympic qualifier. For championships, PHI gets at least one spot automatically into the first round, where every skater without a direct entry would need to skate.

Sylvia
09-15-2011, 09:41 PM
ACTIONS TAKEN BY THE [USFS] GOVERNING COUNCIL – MAY 4-5, 2007 (INCLUDES ACTIONS TAKEN BY THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS, MODIFIED AND/OR RATIFIED):

ATHLETE SERVICES GROUP (Group 1)
51. ADOPTED the following policy for those athletes who have competed for the U.S. internationally and would need a release from U.S. Figure Skating if they wanted to compete for another country/Member:

The chair of the International Committee, based upon written request from the requesting ISU member, would authorize the release of the athlete with the following exceptions:

Any athlete who in the past four figure skating seasons in any discipline has been either 1) Envelope A; 2) a medalist at an ISU championship; or 3) a medalist at any Junior or Senior Grand Prix event.

For any athlete that meets one or more of these exceptions, the request would be forwarded to the U.S. Figure Skating Board of Directors for a final decision.
Since Bulanhagui has medaled on the JGP within the past 4 years (gold in 2008), her release had to be voted on by USFS' Board of Directors.

Lara
09-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Why would competing at Liberty have mattered? It was open to skaters from any country, and skaters didn't skate representing their country as they would in ISU designated competitions.

Yes, but not vying for the TBA Skate America spot would have removed a major incentive to compete if there was an ailment/other issue.

gkelly
09-15-2011, 09:56 PM
For championships, PHI gets at least one spot automatically into the first round, where every skater without a direct entry would need to skate.

Doesn't Four Continents still allow up to three entries per discipline?

But now the skaters have to have met the minimum TES at a previous event.

kwanfan1818
09-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Doesn't Four Continents still allow up to three entries per discipline?

But now the skaters have to have met the minimum TES at a previous event.
4C's does. I don't know why I forgot this was never changed.

The TES minimums are minimal, but it does mean the skater, if s/he hasn't qualified the year before, has to compete at a senior B, not just sign up for the championship. This year's 4C's might be appealing for skaters that train in North America, but some will have to travel abroad to compete to meet the minimum score.

If the much higher GP minimums were used for 4C's, Euros, or Worlds , they wouldn't need an elimination round.

BittyBug
09-15-2011, 11:16 PM
The Azerbaijan comment was aimed at Azerbaijan's flexible citizenship policies re skaters, not at Melissa.Then why make the remark in this thread? As you yourself now say, it's not relevant.

I seem to recall similar jokes at Azerbaijan's expense being made when Fedor Andreev and Joelle Forte were associated with that country, so I'm not sure why similar comments are suddenly so offensive in relation to another skater.Again, since Melissa is not planning to skate for Azerbaijan, what does this have to do with her?

CantALoop
09-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Mabuhay, Melissa! Here's hoping that she recovers from injuries and continues to push herself.

Is she still attempting the 3A? She seemed pretty close the times she tried it at Liberty, I was always disappointed she didn't try to do it at Nats.

newbatgirl
09-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Good for Melissa. It seems like she's made a lot of big decisions lately: getting engaged, now this.

A lot of change for someone so young. She seems to handle it well, so good for her.

MikiAndoFan#1
09-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Good luck to Melissa! :cheer2:

overedge
09-16-2011, 02:03 AM
Again, since Melissa is not planning to skate for Azerbaijan, what does this have to do with her?

There have been many Azerbaijan-related jokes made in reference to other skaters who had no plans to skate for Azerbaijan, but who are or will be skating for countries they didn't represent before - which Melissa is now going to be doing.

And in case you didn't notice, I also said that I was *kidding* and that I thought this was a great move for Melissa.

MacMadame
09-16-2011, 05:00 AM
:) The SM Mall of Asia rink is smack in the middle of the mall - just like Tonya Harding's rink, where one can just go on the second floor level and look on. When I was in Manila on April - the rink has a few steps surrounding the surface where one can sit and watch (not really a bleacher type of seating). On the second floor is the foot court - so you can just pick a table where its over looking the rink. So I am guessing that admission will be free for the championship.

Or they'll hold it elsewhere. I believe Puerto Rico has held their championship in New Jersey so there's president.