PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Bulanhagui to represent Philippines

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RD
09-15-2011, 04:56 PM
She'll certainly have a clearer path to Worlds given the lack of competition in the Philippines; I'n not sure that makes it tremendously likely that she makes it to the Olympics unless several slots are not filled by national Olympic committees.

This...

ETA: Same here PB. Mixed thoughts indeed. On the + hand, it will obviously make qualifying for international championships easier (main motivator) and if she does well, could even put Philippines on the skating map and maybe inspire locals to take it up.

ilovesalchows
09-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I am so happy for her! I hate the qualification rules for Olympics and Worlds. I wish Nikodinov had competed for Bulgaria, but I doubt the US would have released her.

Marco
09-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Quick question: her only international competition for the US was Nebelhorn Trophy 2010 which was nearly 1 year ago. Why can't she represent the Philippines and go to 4CCs and Worlds THIS season?

barbk
09-15-2011, 05:11 PM
I honestly don't see a reason why she couldn't be top 24 at worlds. Good luck Melissa. I saw her at 2006 Nationals and she is a firecracker!

That's not necessarily good enough, unfortunately. There are only 24 spots overall, and countries with two or one entrants at Worlds that end up finishing with high enough combined rankings end up taking multiple slots. If the Philippines doesn't directly qualify a spot, then it all comes down to one early fall competition. Melissa has not been a tremendously consistent skater, and I don't think this is anything like a slam dunk.

Louise
09-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Quick question: her only international competition for the US was Nebelhorn Trophy 2010 which was nearly 1 year ago. Why can't she represent the Philippines and go to 4CCs and Worlds THIS season?

I was wondering the same thing, but I think it is a 2 year hiatus for ISU championships like 4C and Worlds. She could have done the GP this fall if I'm not mistaken, but no slots were awarded (obviously since there are no skaters). The ISU championship rule I think is only one year hiatus for pairs and dance.

ballerynna
09-15-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm really really excited about this! :rollin: I really like her skating and I'm really happy someone with significant international experience and exposure is going to represent my country (when I say significant, she's at least won something internationally).

Now to find out where I can get tickets to the Philippine Championship

Lol, I'm the only one in my Facebook feed happy about this, the rest of my friends could care less

Louise
09-15-2011, 05:21 PM
If the Philippines doesn't directly qualify a spot, then it all comes down to one early fall competition. Melissa has not been a tremendously consistent skater, and I don't think this is anything like a slam dunk.

But it's better than just middling through the US where MAYBE she'd get a senior B or 4C at best. It's definitely not a free pass to the Olympics, she'll have to earn it, and she will probably take greater pride in that fact. Good for her, I hope it works out though it seems it never does (poor Tamar Katz...)

skatesindreams
09-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Well said, Bittybug! Thank you! :respec:

Indeed, Bittybug!
I'll look forward to watching her compete.
Go, Melissa!

ballerynna
09-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Oh wow.... Is there any ice rinks in the Phillipines at all?

Yes. They're mall rinks, but the Mall of Asia ice rink is at least Olympic sized. Assuming she'll have to train a bit here, it'll be like Yu-Na's training situation when she had to use the Lotte World rink

I think the Azerbaijan and "spoiled rich American" cracks are really uncalled for. Both of Melissa's parents are Filipinos, so she has direct and immediate ties to the country. TimD could verify this, but I'm pretty sure she must also speak Tagalog or some other non-English Filipino language at home because her Dad he seems to struggle a bit with English (at least he did when I've spoken with him at competitions).

This isn't only great for Melissa, it's also great for the development of the sport. If Melissa is able to represent the Philippines in international competition, that could spark local interest in the sport and who knows what might come out of that. This isn't country hopping, IMO, any more than Ksenia Makarova switching to represent Russia was.

She probably doesn't speak Tagalog, most 2nd generation Fil-Ams don't (sadly) but I'm pretty sure both her parents emigrated to the US before she was born. It's pretty easy to get dual citizenship here so she'll be okay

gkelly
09-15-2011, 05:27 PM
I kind of have mixed feelings here. Yes, it will help her get to Worlds and possibly the Olympics. But it will not help her medal or win.

The sport is not all about medaling at Worlds or Olympics.

For a skater who is good enough to compete internationally but comes from a country with many skaters who are good enough to compete internationally, switching to a different country with a less crowded field can be about getting more opportunities to compete at the international level, including perhaps Worlds or Olympics.

Even if she doesn't get to those big events, much less win them, even if it just means the difference between a couple of senior B events vs. US regionals and sectionals, she can still come out ahead in terms of international opportunities.

Sylvia
09-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Amen!

I assume it may have to do with the fact that she medaled at Nebelhorn last year (and on the JGP in past years -- a silver in 2006 and a gold in 2008) and therefore it could be a condition of her official release by US Figure Skating.

victoriaheidi
09-15-2011, 06:08 PM

For a skater who is good enough to compete internationally but comes from a country with many skaters who are good enough to compete internationally, switching to a different country with a less crowded field can be about getting more opportunities to compete at the international level, including perhaps Worlds or Olympics.

Even if she doesn't get to those big events, much less win them, even if it just means the difference between a couple of senior B events vs. US regionals and sectionals, she can still come out ahead in terms of international opportunities.

:respec:

Really, Mel was (sadly) lost in the pack of US skaters. She deserves much better, and I hope she finds some international opportunities as a competitor for the Philippines!

Wyliefan
09-15-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm really really excited about this! :rollin: I really like her skating and I'm really happy someone with significant international experience and exposure is going to represent my country (when I say significant, she's at least won something internationally).

Lol, I'm the only one in my Facebook feed happy about this, the rest of my friends could care less

Well, we're happy for you! :)

Vagabond
09-15-2011, 08:47 PM

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-203191-220414-166536-0-file,00.pdf

Rule 109(2)(b):

a Skater may compete for the Member of the country of which he is not a citizen if he fulfils the following conditions:
ii) before July 1st immediately prior to his first International Competition as a member of the Member, he has not
competed in any International Competition or ISU Championship for another Member during the twelve (12) preceding months;

Nebelhorn 2010 was less than twelve months before July 1, 2011. Accordingly, she can't skate for the Philippines this season.

TDsk8
09-15-2011, 08:57 PM

Amen!

I assume it may have to do with the fact that she medaled at Nebelhorn last year (and on the JGP in past years -- a silver in 2006 and a gold in 2008) and therefore it could be a condition of her official release by US Figure Skating.

:) The SM Mall of Asia rink is smack in the middle of the mall - just like Tonya Harding's rink, where one can just go on the second floor level and look on. When I was in Manila on April - the rink has a few steps surrounding the surface where one can sit and watch (not really a bleacher type of seating). On the second floor is the foot court - so you can just pick a table where its over looking the rink. So I am guessing that admission will be free for the championship.

Melissa will be eligible to compete for Philippines on the fall of 2012. As Sylvia said about releases - Melissa's release is not until May 2012.