PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Bulanhagui to represent Philippines

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Buzz
09-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Oh wow.... Is there any ice rinks in the Phillipines at all?

TDsk8
09-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Oh wow.... Is there any ice rinks in the Phillipines at all?

SM Mall of Asia :) where PHI Nationals are being held (http://www.google.com/search?q=sm+mall+of+asia+ice+rink&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1024&bih=482&gbv=2&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=isz:m&sa=X&ei=T-9xTpH6CqiRiQemhrigBg&ved=0CAsQpwUoAg)

2sk8
09-15-2011, 03:06 PM
This is a smart move by Melissa. She has never been a USFSA favorite, for whatever reason, and it has hurt her chances and her confidence. I wish her all the best.

ITA - Gooooo Melissa!!!:kickass:

Rob
09-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Good move. I wonder why she didn't do this years ago. Maybe it just took time with the Phillipines?

RD
09-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Normally I hate the "country shopping" by spoiled-rich Americans

Not a big fan of it myself either, I admit. Then again, it's the skater's career and they are free to make whatever choices they think will suit them best. It remains to be seen how this will turn out, how it will be received, etc. Most people in this thread seem to support her on this move, and that's fine too. At least Mel B seems to have Filipino roots, unlike cases where skaters will go to any country who takes them (...)

Sylvia
09-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Good move. I wonder why she didn't do this years ago.
I assume she was proud to represent the USA (plus she did receive some envelope funding from USFS over the years) and wanted to do so as long as possible.

At least Mel B seems to have Filipino roots,
More than "seems to"... Bulanhagui's parents were both born in the Philippines.

ETA: I remember that it took Bulanhagui 3 seasons at the Novice level before she succeeded in qualifying for U.S. Nationals for the first time in in 2004-2005 season at the age of 14. Wishing her all the best in representing PHI! :)

viennese
09-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Exciting news. I enjoyed her skating and hope to see her do well at international events, including 4CC.

riveredge
09-15-2011, 04:09 PM
good news for team pilipinas! yay! :D

BittyBug
09-15-2011, 04:10 PM
I think the Azerbaijan and "spoiled rich American" cracks are really uncalled for. Both of Melissa's parents are Filipinos, so she has direct and immediate ties to the country. TimD could verify this, but I'm pretty sure she must also speak Tagalog or some other non-English Filipino language at home because her Dad he seems to struggle a bit with English (at least he did when I've spoken with him at competitions).

This isn't only great for Melissa, it's also great for the development of the sport. If Melissa is able to represent the Philippines in international competition, that could spark local interest in the sport and who knows what might come out of that. This isn't country hopping, IMO, any more than Ksenia Makarova switching to represent Russia was.

paskatefan
09-15-2011, 04:13 PM
I think the Azerbaijan and "spoiled rich American" cracks are really uncalled for. Both of Melissa's parents are Filipinos, so she has direct and immediate ties to the country. TimD could verify this, but I'm pretty sure she must also speak Tagalog or some other non-English Filipino language at home because her Dad he seems to struggle a bit with English (at least he did when I've spoken with him at competitions).

This isn't only great for Melissa, it's also great for the development of the sport. If Melissa is able to represent the Philippines in international competition, that could spark local interest in the sport and who knows what might come out of that. This isn't country hopping, IMO, any more than Ksenia Makarova switching to represent Russia was.

Well said, Bittybug! Thank you! :respec:

toddlj
09-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I wonder if Melissa was still hoping for a senior B or the Skate America TBA slot before making this decision? Seems like she was on the cusp of both of those. (No US ladies are going to Finlandia.)

Frau Muller
09-15-2011, 04:47 PM
I think the Azerbaijan and "spoiled rich American" cracks are really uncalled for. ......

For Melissa, true. This is one of those rare times when switching countries is absolutely justified, not only because both of her parents are Filippinos but because Melissa has a great chance of being more than a "Qualifying Round Tourist" at ISU events. I wish her well and am DYING to see how far she will go. Melissa will be much more than a "Qualifying Round Tourist"!!!

barbk
09-15-2011, 04:50 PM
She'll certainly have a clearer path to Worlds given the lack of competition in the Philippines; I'n not sure that makes it tremendously likely that she makes it to the Olympics unless several slots are not filled by national Olympic committees.

Jarrett
09-15-2011, 04:53 PM
I honestly don't see a reason why she couldn't be top 24 at worlds. Good luck Melissa. I saw her at 2006 Nationals and she is a firecracker!

Polymer Bob
09-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I kind of have mixed feelings here. Yes, it will help her get to Worlds and possibly the Olympics. But it will not help her medal or win.