PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Bulanhagui to represent Philippines

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

TDsk8
09-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Doesn't she have to qualify first though...?

Yes, she will compete at Philippine Nationals

mgobluegirl
09-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Doesn't she have to qualify first though...?

She does. She'll have to earn a spot for the Philippines either at 2013 Worlds or Nebelhorn in the fall of 2013. I'll miss seeing her at US Nationals, but good luck to her!

RD
09-15-2011, 03:46 AM
Where does she have to place to get 1 spot?

nubka
09-15-2011, 03:54 AM
A good opportunity for her, but I have to admit that I'll miss seeing her at nationals... :(

Lara
09-15-2011, 03:58 AM
Where does she have to place to get 1 spot?

It'll depend on how many extra spots get taken up by countries like the US, Japan, Russia, Finland etc. And then how many countries don't use their earned spots due to stricter Olympic qualifying rules (like Israel last time when Chelsie Lee took Tamar Katz's place).

I think at Worlds they go up to 24 with six spots remaining for the fall qualifier? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've forgotten if they still allow 30 for the SP in the first place.

Congrats and best of luck to Melissa!!! So that's why she wasn't at Liberty I guess. :)

blue_idealist
09-15-2011, 04:57 AM
I didn't even know she was eligible to represent the Philippines, but I guess that'll make it easier for her to qualify for stuff.

Pikachuusb
09-15-2011, 05:39 AM
I think its smart on her part to make this change. Good for her :cheer2:

barbk
09-15-2011, 05:47 AM
So that's why she wasn't at Liberty I guess. :)

Why would competing at Liberty have mattered? It was open to skaters from any country, and skaters didn't skate representing their country as they would in ISU designated competitions.

gotice
09-15-2011, 06:59 AM
So thrilled for Melissa! She has such great opportunities ahead. ITA she will be missed at US Nationals, but look forward to seeing her on the international stage.

reese
09-15-2011, 08:50 AM
This is a smart move by Melissa. She has never been a USFSA favorite, for whatever reason, and it has hurt her chances and her confidence. I wish her all the best.

essence_of_soy
09-15-2011, 09:11 AM
As a friend of mine said recently regarding many of the Asian ladies who skated at Four Continents, "Representing the People's Republic of California..."

paskatefan
09-15-2011, 11:48 AM
A good opportunity for her, but I have to admit that I'll miss seeing her at nationals... :(

I'll miss her too! :(

Congrats and best of luck to Melissa!!! So that's why she wasn't at Liberty I guess. :)

Actually, she was at Liberty this summer, but just as a spectator (and perhaps to support her fellow skaters in nearby Newark, DE & other skating friends). My friend and I got to talk to her, and she wasn't feeling so good at the time (some kind of stomach ailment (?). She mentioned that she had to go for some medical testing the next day, which was still during Liberty). Hopefully she's feeling a lot better now. Hope she continues to train in Delaware.

Jenny81
09-15-2011, 11:51 AM
She could be 10 times Phillipines National champion.

Maybe.. :lol:

Frau Muller
09-15-2011, 11:58 AM
CONGRATS, MELISSA! Normally I hate the "country shopping" by spoiled-rich Americans but THIS ONE IS SOOOOOO TOTALLY JUSTIFIED that it doesn't bother me one iota. I wouldn't be surprised if Melissa some day cracks top 10 at Worlds, she absolutely has the goods to garner high scores. I've always found that she's ridiculously undermarked in the US. Even though her line is a little Midori Ito-esque (short and muscular) -- why I think she is held back in the US -- she can more than make up for it with other PCS elements, such as speed, skating skills, etc.

I hope that, by moving, Melissa Bulanhagui can "pull a Duchesnays"...SHINE on the world scene after leaving a federation that has unjustifiably held-back a skater.

kittyjake5
09-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Great news and very smart move. Good luck Melissa!