PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Kennedy Special on ABC

Pages : [1] 2

Rex
09-14-2011, 02:16 AM
Is anyone watching? These are the tapes she made that were not supposed to be released until after her death.

Wow. She didn't like the Eisenhowers or Nixons. And she admitted to using speed!

suep1963
09-14-2011, 02:20 AM
I'm watching

Rex
09-14-2011, 02:24 AM
She had a distinctive voice.

Rex
09-14-2011, 02:47 AM
Can't say I appreciate her comments about MLK.

Lynn226
09-14-2011, 03:04 AM

I missed it. What did she say?

falling_dance
09-14-2011, 03:07 AM

Neither can I.

I missed it. What did she say?

The word I heard was "tricky".

I wonder about the account of the tour of the White House given Jackie Kennedy just a few days after the Caesarean delivery of her son, in which the promised wheelchair was nowhere in sight and she was never offered a chance to sit down. Was that petty malice on Mamie Eisenhower's part, or just a pretty lamentable oversight?

milanessa
09-14-2011, 03:17 AM
I wonder about the account of the tour of the White House given Jackie Kennedy just a few days after the Caesarean delivery of her son, in which the promised wheelchair was nowhere in sight and she was never offered a chance to sit down. Was that petty malice on Mamie Eisenhower's part, or just a pretty lamentable oversight?

She seemed to think it was the former.

Wyliefan
09-14-2011, 03:17 AM
Not watching the show, but newspapers today were reporting she also called MLK "a phony" and "terrible."

Was there anybody she actually DID like, aside from her husband and children?

Rex
09-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Neither can I.

The word I heard was "tricky".I thought so...I was making dinner and I thought she said "creepy", but "tricky" sounds more like it.

I wonder about the account of the tour of the White House given Jackie Kennedy just a few days after the Caesarean delivery of her son, in which the promised wheelchair was nowhere in sight and she was never offered a chance to sit down. Was that petty malice on Mamie Eisenhower's part, or just a pretty lamentable oversight? I wonder too....Mamie may have been stressed about leaving.

I admire Jackie, but she was no saint. She was elitist and greedy.

falling_dance
09-14-2011, 03:37 AM
"I wouldn't be surprised if they [women like Clare Boothe Luce, who were, in the Kennedys' view, over-concerned with power] were lesbians."

Charming...charming.

Rex
09-14-2011, 03:42 AM
^^I know, right?
She sounds like an enabler.

Lacey
09-14-2011, 03:50 AM
I have to agree with Caroline that a lot of what she said had to do with the era, and that as her mother aged, she became much more liberal, supportive of women. I recently read "Jackie as Editor" by Greg Lawrence and "Reading Jackie" by William Kuhn and she comes off much more intellectual and human in these than in these tapes from the 60s.

Cachoo
09-14-2011, 05:45 AM
I was watching: Did I hear correctly that she said she loathed the French? I about fell off of my chair. I always believed the opposite.

FiveRinger
09-14-2011, 06:08 AM
I wasn't going to watch this but now I am wildly curious. Is this going to air again or be available online?

This sounds terrible, but I wouldn't want videos of me saying so many questionable things about people out in the universe. I'd pray everyday that no one found them 100 years after I died based on what I'm reading here.

Allskate
09-14-2011, 07:43 AM
I watched just part of this. Maybe it's just because they took a very small percdentage of the tapes to play on tv, but the impression the show seemed to give was that she was quite catty and crititical, though I suppose she wasn't in the best of moods at the time she did the tapes, not that long after JFK's death. I respect Caroline for releasing the tapes in their entirety because it must have been tempting to sanitize them. I'm sure some things are going to be taken out of context or simply don't include all the context. I may end up reading the book. That clip they played about MLK was only about two seconds long and I ended up wondering what it was about MLK that she found tricky. Politically tricky? Personally tricky? Was there a particular incident JFK (or RFK) had with him?

Also, the part that I saw, she seemed to be saying that she liked the French and the French loved her. But, a lot of Americans didn't seem to like the fact that she spoke French and other languages. But, maybe I missed the part where she said she loathed the French. Or maybe that was just a reference to De Gaulle.

ETA: Some of the articles on the tapes provide a little more context to the comment about MLK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14909983

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/7622894-418/jacqueline-kennedy-told-jfk-i-want-to-die-with-you.html

Caroline thinks it was Hoover who was feeding Jacqueline negative information about MLK. She had been told that he was insulting and drunk at JFK's funeral and that he was arranging an orgy on the eve of the Freedom March. Given the later rumors about JFK's philandering, it's kind of ironic that she didn't like MLK's alleged philandering, though I guess it's a bit different for a minister.