PDA

View Full Version : Universal Sports going off free tv..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Sandy
12-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Happy Holidays to everyone!!

There is now a message on from Verizon on their main Menu Messages -

On or after January 1, 2012, Universal Sports will no longer carry content through your local broadcaster on Channel WNBC - 464.

The change was not initiated by Verizon. Instead,Universal Sports has decided not to renew their agreements with local providers to carry this content.

They go on to say sorry for any inconvenience and thank us for being loyal customers!!

I am very sad about this news and I am wondering where we will be able to watch figure skating. Ice Channel seems to always have a problem with their satellite, not worth $39.95 if we cannot see everything!!

Does anyone know where else we could watch the figure skating events that will be coming up!

Thanks!

AJ Skatefan
12-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Happy Holidays to everyone!!

There is now a message on from Verizon on their main Menu Messages -

On or after January 1, 2012, Universal Sports will no longer carry content through your local broadcaster on Channel WNBC - 464.

The change was not initiated by Verizon. Instead,Universal Sports has decided not to renew their agreements with local providers to carry this content.

They go on to say sorry for any inconvenience and thank us for being loyal customers!!

I am very sad about this news and I am wondering where we will be able to watch figure skating. Ice Channel seems to always have a problem with their satellite, not worth $39.95 if we cannot see everything!!

Does anyone know where else we could watch the figure skating events that will be coming up!

Thanks!

I haven't had any trouble with Ice Network this season. You can also watch figure skating on Universal Sports website for a subscription fee. They should offer a subscription for watching Worlds. NBC and Ice Network will cover US Nationals.

Sandy
12-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks AJ--

Do you have to watch it when they first show it or is there a video you can watch anytime like Uni Sports?

AJ Skatefan
12-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks AJ--

Do you have to watch it when they first show it or is there a video you can watch anytime like Uni Sports?

No everything is also on On Demand. Ice Network won't be showing Worlds as far as I know though.

Rex
12-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Similar to what LEO59 has seen, last night while I was watching US, it was scrolling across the bottome that if we had Verizon FIOS or COX, we might be losing US.

I am Comcast (and in Phila western suburbs) and Comcast wasn't mentioned in the scroll.

Looks like NBC is creating its own sports channel to go head-to-head with ESPN. (http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/nbc-sports-network-plans-a-long-game-espn/231447/)

Maybe this is why many think Comcast and Universal Sports are parting ways?

AJ Skatefan
12-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Looks like NBC is creating its own sports channel to go head-to-head with ESPN. (http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/nbc-sports-network-plans-a-long-game-espn/231447/)

I hope this station shows lots of figure skating. Lots more than we're currently getting on NBC.

Rex
12-26-2011, 01:22 AM
I hope this station shows lots of figure skating. Lots more than we're currently getting on NBC.

Including more fluff pieces :D

A.H.Black
12-26-2011, 01:26 AM

The NBC Sports channel is the old Versus (VS) channel. It is just becoming NBC Sports.

Comcast and Universal sports aren't parting ways. The following is from the Universal site.

Universal Sports Network is a free over-the-air "multicast" service that is distributed as a digital sub-channel of local stations in markets around the country. These local station distribution arrangements expire at midnight on December 31, 2011, after which the network will be distributed directly to cable, satellite and telco TV providers on a subscription basis.

Where can I find Universal Sports Network beginning on January 1, 2012?

Universal Sports Network is currently available and will continue to be available on DirecTV. We are presently in advanced negotiations with many other television providers throughout the country and expect to confirm additional distribution come January 1. We will continue to provide the most current distribution information on our website, UniversalSports.com, and on our Facebook page.

Up until now you have received Universal Sports from you local NBC provider. They just happened to broadcast it over one of their optional channels on Comcast. If you receive it in the future it will be because Universal Sports and Comcast actually come together to make a contract.

Sandy
12-26-2011, 02:07 AM
I really am very confused.

Verizon FIOS is saying that Uni Sports says that they have decided not to renew their agreements with local providers to carry this content.

Universal Sports is saying they are in advanced negotiations with many other television providers throughout the country and expect to confirm additional distribution come January 1.

Who do we trust??

I do not beleive that the NBC Sports Channel is going to carry a lot of figure skating, if they will be competing with ESPN. It is very sad that Figure Skating cannot be shown on TV. People watch the sports that THEY enjoy on TV. It will be a big loss if, we, cannot watch our sport.

Lacey
12-26-2011, 03:04 AM
I loved all of the skiing, I believe also gymnastics, as well as the skating on Universal. I sure hope that the Universal coverage will pop up somewhere.

MacMadame
12-26-2011, 05:17 AM
I really am very confused.

Verizon FIOS is saying that Uni Sports says that they have decided not to renew their agreements with local providers to carry this content.

Universal Sports is saying they are in advanced negotiations with many other television providers throughout the country and expect to confirm additional distribution come January 1.

Who do we trust??

The two statements are not mutually exclusive. US had contracts that allowed for one arrangement where local providers carried the content for free. They don't want to do that any more and are currently negotiating to get their channel carried like a normal cable channel where they get a paid a fee.

Now Verizon FIOS is trying to spin it like if they don't come to a new agreement it's all US's fault and US is trying to spin it as they are going to be on more than Direct TV eventually, but they are both saying the exact same thing once you remove the spin -- the current agreements are expiring and you are only going to get US if your cable company signs new ones.

Debbie S
12-26-2011, 07:10 PM
The NBC Sports channel is the old Versus (VS) channel. It is just becoming NBC Sports. Well, my Comcast service carries Versus; it doesn't carry US. So I hope the figure skating gets moved to Versus (or whatever it's going to be called) if Comcast can't come to an agreement and start showing US in all markets.

Sandy
12-27-2011, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=A.H.Black;3413871]The NBC Sports channel is the old Versus (VS) channel. It is just becoming NBC Sports.

Comcast and Universal sports aren't parting ways. The following is from the Universal site.

Up until now you have received Universal Sports from you local NBC provider. They just happened to broadcast it over one of their optional channels on Comcast. If you receive it in the future it will be because Universal Sports and Comcast actually come together to make a contract.[/QU

I understand that the local station distribution arrangements expire at midnight on December 31, 2011 and the network will be distributed directly to cable, satellite and telco TV providers on a subscription basis. So, why will FIOS which is a (telco) provider pick up this option and use it as On Demand or a Pay Channel, like HBO, etc. I wish I knew how we couldconvince FIOS to not drop this channel.

Aceon6
12-28-2011, 06:43 PM
This is getting ridiculous. If you want Sunday Ticket, you need DirectTV. If you want US, you need DISH, and if you need reliable internet, you need cable from one of the providers licensed by your town. No wonder YouTube is so popular. Even if they play Whack-A-Mole and take the vids off as they find them, they're usually there long enough for most to get a chance at them.

rfisher
12-28-2011, 07:03 PM
US is on DirectTV. It's part of an optional sports package. It is not part of the basic DirectTV package.