PDA

View Full Version : Universal Sports going off free tv..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

rfisher
12-06-2011, 11:38 AM
I considered that, but they'll probably carry Olympic coverage this summer and I'd have to pick it back up. And I like the skiing.

Frau Muller
12-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I called my local (Wash, DC) Comcast office yesterday & they told me "not to worry - you'll be getting Universal Sports." So it sounds as if my area is clear.

Orable
12-07-2011, 03:46 AM
I don't have cable at all - I get it by the regular analog channels. I'll have to email to see whether I'll still get US in the new year, but I suspect not :wuzrobbed

rfisher
12-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't have cable at all - I get it by the regular analog channels. I'll have to email to see whether I'll still get US in the new year, but I suspect not :wuzrobbed

You most likely will not. My understanding is it will only be offered through cable providers and at the moment, DirectTV is the only provider. They are negotiating with other providers.

The advantage for those of us who have the DirectTV package (it's part of a larger sports package costing $15/month) is it is supposed to be upgraded to Hidef. Right now, the image is really poor. Since I bought an Internet capable TV, I just watch IN on the TV as the quality is superior to Universal Sports.

Octoberopals
12-08-2011, 04:46 AM
We have the whole enchilada package from Comcast [Houston, TX]; however, one NEVER sees which channel US is on......it's 319 here. Apparently it's a big secret; why? Who knows? We pay out the wazoo for the whole enchilada package, with no prospect of dropping any of the channels......my husband is a football, basketball, baseball freak. All those sports come with the whole enchilada package. I did fill out the form for Comcast to continue to have US.

I always tape everything on US anyway, so if anyone is interested in VHS [I'm in the process of transferring to DVDs], PM me & we can probably work something out.

A.H.Black
12-11-2011, 03:21 PM
I note that Universal has stopped posting their online TV schedule. I thought ti was just because they were behind on things but then I went to the Figure Skating page. There is still a Video schedule, but there is no longer a link for TV viewing - or a schedule. At least I can't find one.

HisWeirness
12-11-2011, 03:52 PM
The TV listings page (http://www.universalsports.com/tv-listings/index.html) appears that it is not being updated, but TV schedule information for figure skating is still here:

Universal Sports TV schedule for Grand Prix Final (http://www.universalsports.com/figure-skating/events/event=US0302351/viewers-guide/index.html)
Universal Sports Figure Skating Viewers Guide (http://www.universalsports.com/figure-skating/viewers-guide/index.html)

I guess you can also check online programming guides like tvguide.com to see what they are planning to show.

toepick
12-11-2011, 06:39 PM
I'll save my screams for January 1, 2012...if Comcast of Washington, DC, dares not include US in their package. Fee-fie-fow-fumm...

I'm also in DC and have Comcast. You've not gotten any notices that it's being dropped yet, have you?

Hope not.

DORISPULASKI
12-11-2011, 08:31 PM
There have been announcements on NBC during the Sunday broadcast of the ladies of a new "NBC Sports Channel". The ad was with gymnasts, who have been on US. I wonder whether this is going to replace or augment Universal Sports, or whether both are just going to coexist?

skatesindreams
12-11-2011, 11:07 PM
The "VERSUS" Channel is becoming the NBC Sports Channel.
If you already have that channel in your array, you may not have to do anything.
I'm also hoping that it will cover skating...fingers crossed.

A.H.Black
12-11-2011, 11:08 PM
There have been announcements on NBC during the Sunday broadcast of the ladies of a new "NBC Sports Channel". The ad was with gymnasts, who have been on US. I wonder whether this is going to replace or augment Universal Sports, or whether both are just going to coexist?

I have a vague memory of someone mentioning an additional NBC sports channel - maybe it was earlier in this thread.

Found it -

Both Universal Sports and NBC Universal's more fully distributed sports network Versus (which becomes NBC Sports Network come January 1), will air some Olympics programming next summer, as well as other NBC Universal networks and platforms.

It's from an article LynnW posted about earlier http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/158377/

skatesindreams
12-11-2011, 11:18 PM
I mentioned it in the "Commentary" thread.
BTW, I believe it was first announced during the broadcast of "RISE", on Versus.

LEO59
12-12-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm also in DC and have Comcast. You've not gotten any notices that it's being dropped yet, have you?

Hope not.

I think you can keep Hope..Universal Sports has been running a wordcraw at the bottom of the screen giving names of cable providers who may be droping the channel on Jan 1 2012 and Comcast WAS one of them (((BUT))) has since has been taking off the craw..

Cablevision,Cox,Charter, and Fios are still there however..

DORISPULASKI
12-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Yes, I noticed that, and have great hopes that Universal will still exist on Comcast, and that I will still be able to get it.

Frau Muller
12-12-2011, 07:25 PM

Hope not.

As I mentioned a few posts above, I was told by the marketing manager of the DC office of COMCAST "You'll should have nothing to worry" about on this. In other words, it looks like it stays in DC, as a cable option (not free, off-the-air).

re. VERSUS/NBCSports Channel - Someone above said they hope that this channel will cover skating. They will - HOCKEY! :lol: