PDA

View Full Version : Universal Sports going off free tv..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24

PDilemma
02-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks for checking in KeepUS. As always I am grateful that someone at Universal keeps in touch occasionally.

Honestly however, my loyalty is to figure skating - Not to Universal Sports! Any loyalty I have felt to Universal came from my feeling that Universal seemed to recognize the value of the sports I follow - figure skating, gymnastics, and other Olympic Sports. I understand Universal's need to change the way they deliver their product, but I have felt great frustration about how the whole thing has played out over the last several months.

I am now actively working on finding other ways to view figure skating. I am finding some success along the way. If those announcements are are delayed too long, some of us will have moved on.

Agreed.

The longer this situation continues, the more I am inclined to think that it is somehow in NBC/Universal's immediate interests to NOT deal with cable companies and NOT see that programming is available to a wide audience. The process has seemed duplicitous; the only winner thus far is Direct TV, and fans have been forced to seek alternatives to get coverage. By selling internet coverage, Universal is still profiting from skating and seems to have little desire to change this status quo. My cable company has added channels in the past month, but not Universal. If Universal truly desired to stay in cable line-ups, they would be doing so.

I hope that the ISU and USFSA wakes up to the fact that the sport is losing its audience by continuing to limit television coverage in the United States to a network that doesn't care about being widely available.

Reuven
02-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Also agree. While I do have DirecTV, I am not currently subscribing to the sports package where US is. It would seem to me the best thing all around would be to have US included in the packages one step up from whatever the provider designates as a “basic” package. Either that, or, if one has to pay for US, make it commercial free. Why should I have to pay for the privilege of being delivered to advertisers? How about a little more flexibility there, US? After all, you claim you want to have "agreements that will allow more fans to have access to our network.” Remember, we are Figure Skating fans, not US fans. or is it just about the money?

DORISPULASKI
02-12-2012, 02:23 AM
I thought US Sports was the only channel that wanted the skating?

PDilemma
02-12-2012, 06:23 PM
I thought US Sports was the only channel that wanted the skating?

No idea about that.

But something smells about all of this.

NBC Universal owns Universal Sports. NBC Universal merged with Comcast.

But NBC Universal cannot make a deal with Comcast to air their channel on its cable network? Really??? :confused:

That alone tells me that NBC Universal has another motive in this whole thing. Perhaps the motive is to push Olympic sports to internet subscription service. Perhaps it is something else. Who knows?

(And I don't even have Comcast cable...so that's not the reason for my question).

DORISPULASKI
02-13-2012, 12:24 AM
I did have Universal Sports, and I paid Comcast a pretty penny for it, because to get it, I had to get the high end sports package. If you had a newer TV, you could get it for cheaper, but we didn't.

I will go back to basic Plus, and watch skating on IN or US sports on line if Comcast isn't carrying US.

Simka
02-14-2012, 02:52 AM
I didn't realize we didn't still have it on Cox in San Diego until I tried to find the channel to tape Four Continents. I sent an email to Cox, and this is what they said:

Thank you for your e-mail. I understand that you are not receiving
Universal Sports Channel. I apologize for this inconvenience.

At the moment I would like to inform, as of January 1, 2012, Cox will no
longer offer Universal Sports (US) as part of our Video channel lineup.

Universal Sports is currently distributed as a multi cast channel by
some local NBC broadcasters; however, at the end of this year, Universal
Sports will no longer be a multi cast channel and is seeking a cable
carriage fee. Data research shows that Universal Sports programming has
an extremely small amount of viewers among Cox households (both number
of viewers and amount of time watched). Therefore, Cox does not plan
to carry the channel when it goes independent in 2012.

The Universal Sports channel carries Olympic-type programming, such as
track and field as well as swimming competitions. Universal Sports
programming includes the Olympic trials, but it does not carry the
actual Olympics. Our customers will still have access to comprehensive
Olympic programming, including the Olympic Trials and the Olympic Games
on multiple channels (in HD) and via Cox's Video On Demand.
Additionally, customers will be able to access hundreds of hours of
Olympics coverage online as well.

The local NBC affiliates that currently carry Universal Sports will
determine the new programming for the current Universal Sports channel.

New programming will become available on that channel beginning January
1st. This new programming will not be determined by Cox.

:blah:

AJ Skatefan
02-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Apparently Dish Network is adding Universal Sports.

https://dishnetworkmail.com/servlet/formlink/f?KpkoQSCWDVLuHptVOoplLOhtMCTSWxPHohhQJhuVJpKVSTU

A.H.Black
02-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Apparently Dish Network is adding Universal Sports.

https://dishnetworkmail.com/servlet/formlink/f?KpkoQSCWDVLuHptVOoplLOhtMCTSWxPHohhQJhuVJpKVSTU

Well, that's wonderful news. However, I called DISH immediately and they do not have anything listed about Universal Sports as of yet. I also checked the Universal Sports site. They have no announcement and when I checked the Channel Finder, it still says Universal Sports is unavailable on DISH.

It looks like the website is ahead of the announcement. I hope it comes very soon.

A.H.Black
02-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Just googled the subject and found this -

Universal Sports Network Coming to DISH Network

February 14th, 2012

During this month, DISH will be adding the Universal Sports Network channel to their Multi-Sport programming package.

The Universal Sports Network is best-known for their coverage of the Olympic Games but also covers a wide variety of other sports programming including World Championships, World Cups and Grand Prix Events for cycling, curling, gymnastics, ice hockey, karate, marathons, skiing, speed skating, swimming, track & field, table tennis, triathlons, volleyball and Rugby.Universal Sports Network Logo

To provide the best in sports programming that this channel has become so well-known for, the channel has agreements with the following organizations: International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), International Cycling Union (UCI), International Federation of Gymnastics (FIG), International Rowing Federation (FISA), International Rugby Board (IRB), International Swimming Federation (FINA), International Ski Federation (FIS), Major League Lacrosse (MLL).

Universal Sports Network provides unique programming throughout the year that usually only receives attention every few years. Broadcasting on television and the internet, fans can follow Olympic athletes as they compete in other events between the games.

During June of 2010 Universal Sports in cooperation with the IRB revealed that the Universal Sports Network would bring "unprecedented national television and digital media coverage of the 2011 and 2015 Rugby World Cup tournaments." This statement was issued jointly by Universal Sports CEO David Sternberg and the Secretary General of the IRB Mike Miller.

No one seems to know what the date will be but it's suppose to be this month.

Some speculation that it will be channel 402. Others say it will be 152 (as CBS Sports is moving to 158)

AxelAnnie
02-22-2012, 03:40 AM
Wow. i have officially given up on comcast and am orderimg DirectTV tomorrow.......for my office.

A.H.Black
02-22-2012, 10:27 PM
It's there !!!! Dish has Universal Sports on channel 402. I haven't made the phone call yet, but it is on the channel guide.

ETA

- The Universal Sports site still lists Dish as not having Universal Sports.

- DISH now lists Universal Sports as being available - http://www.mydish.com/perks/new-channels/

I wish they were a bit more on top of things.

I just added Universal Sports to my Dish package. In order to get it I have to have the Top 120 Plus package then add the multi sports package. The sports package runs $7.00 per month. The top 120 package depends on if you are a new subscriber or an established customer.

I turned on Universal and they are broadcasting rugby - with Terry Gannon as the announcer. Good to be back.

Jem X
02-25-2012, 03:14 AM
I was just scrolling thru my channels and found USN on dishnetwork, channel 402. Only problem is it's not in HD. Just in time for the ladies final group at 4 CC! This is great! Skeleton is next, and then 4CC dance final. :cheer:

love skating
02-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Just found it on my Dish today! So excited and happy to get it again! :)

aka_gerbil
02-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Just found it on my Dish today! So excited and happy to get it again! :)

I just found it on my Dish about 30 minutes ago! I'm beyond excited and will be getting nothing done tonight but watching skating. :D

JillyBean
02-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Yes! I have it too - channel 9795 in Minneapolis on Dish Network. They're showing a 2-hr recap of Euros right now, which is great for me since I didn't see any of it at the time, just looked at the results. This is great - I hope it stays around.