PDA

View Full Version : Universal Sports going off free tv..

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

MacMadame
09-14-2011, 04:39 AM
Maybe more people will have a chance to actually get Universal Sports now.

Actually less people will be able to get it. Right now, if your NBC affiliate broadcasts it, you can get it no matter what your cable company does. My cable company doesn't offer it but I can get it over the air anyway. Now I won't be able to.

I assume they did this so they could make more money. They can charge the cable companies for carrying them. They couldn't charge anyone who was getting it over the air.

Capella
09-24-2011, 04:47 PM
I get Universal Sports via FiOS. I hope this won't change. :(

my little pony
09-25-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm dimwitted and do not understand. I only have US because I have cable, it isnt part of a free package.

skatesindreams
09-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Some viewers have been able to receive Universal Sports via over-the-air antennae.
That will end shortly and the channel will only be available through cable/satellite providers.

As for me, I've haven't been able to persuade Bright House Networks to carry the channel; so, I've never had access to it.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
09-26-2011, 05:21 AM
Oh, well. I guess I'd better make sure I catch some of the GP events cause after Jan no more Universal. I guess if you can't help fill some already wealthy execs wallet you don't get many of the channels. Some folks don't have the $$$ to keep having to pay every time someone wants extra cash.

:( :rolleyes:

Skittl1321
09-26-2011, 04:40 PM
I never got it over the air, but am sad for all the people losing it now.

We can't even get NBC over the air. We used to be able to, but after the digital transition, they changed the signal strength and we lost it (the station is not close to us, we couldn't get their analog signal, but got their old digital one. When they dropped the analog signal, they moved the digital to that channel, and so it is too low now).

We've had cable for the past 2 years, but are about to drop it again. I will miss figure skating, and the Olympics in general.

FigureSpins
09-27-2011, 03:25 AM
I don't "get" this at all. Why would Universal Sports (US) use Facebook to ask people to tell US that they don't want to be "dropped," meaning they want to watch US on a platform other than DirecTV? I guess the left hand within US doesn't know what the right hand is doing. *shrugs*

In any case, the post is here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/UniversalSports

Unless you have Directv, on 1/1/12 your TV Provider may drop UNIVERSAL SPORTS from your channel lineup. Call 1-800-55-GET-US & tell your provider you want access to year-round coverage of Olympic sports & athletes. Time is running out. Don’t get dropped--Call 1-800-55-GET-US & make your voice heard. Click here to double your voice.

You can call the number or, better yet, go to http://www.universalsports.com/iwantuniversalsports/iwantuniversalsports_datacollection.html to complete the online form.

It would be really sleazy of US if this is a way of building a database of names to solicit subscribers for DirecTV.

Octoberopals
10-05-2011, 04:10 AM
Is there an ice-skating schedule out for Universal Sports/NBC Sports on the ComCast cable network? I've looked & looked & can't find anything.

HisWeirness
10-05-2011, 11:45 AM
No Universal Sports GP skating schedule has been released yet. It should appear on the page linked below when it is released:
http://www.universalsports.com/figure-skating/viewers-guide/index.html

NBC GP Sports schedule:
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=46360&type=media

AJ Skatefan
10-05-2011, 10:35 PM
I don't "get" this at all. Why would Universal Sports (US) use Facebook to ask people to tell US that they don't want to be "dropped," meaning they want to watch US on a platform other than DirecTV? I guess the left hand within US doesn't know what the right hand is doing. *shrugs*

In any case, the post is here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/UniversalSports

You can call the number or, better yet, go to http://www.universalsports.com/iwantuniversalsports/iwantuniversalsports_datacollection.html to complete the online form.

It would be really sleazy of US if this is a way of building a database of names to solicit subscribers for DirecTV.

The Universal Sports website also has a button to click to fill out a form requesting that Universal Sports not be dropped. Just to be safe I'd suggest that people do that. It sounds like they're rearranging their coverage and some cable companies may drop it???? or something....

museksk8r
10-17-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm dimwitted and do not understand. I only have US because I have cable, it isnt part of a free package.

I never knew there were people who were able to watch it on free TV either. I have Universal Sports because it is part of my Time Warner basic cable package. I hope I will still have it come January 1st! :drama:

FigureSpins
10-17-2011, 01:45 PM
In the days before cable and satellite bills, people watched TV via broadcasts "over the air" from television stations in their area, for free. When DTV was introduced a few years ago, anyone who wanted to continue to receive those broadcasts had to get a converter box if they had older TVs that weren't DTV-ready.

Part of the DTV conversion was to add channels "between" the existing channels. The larger stations filled those extra channels with other programming, including UniSports. I know I've posted about the access since well before Vancouver, but it's gone now.

Example: NBC in New York was channel 4.1, NBC Mobile was 4.2, and Universal Sports was channel 4.4.

With the DirecTV implementation, Universal Sports is supposed to be removed from over-the-air broadcasts as well as cable providers and Dish network.

museksk8r
10-17-2011, 05:28 PM
With the DirecTV implementation, Universal Sports is supposed to be removed from over-the-air broadcasts as well as cable providers and Dish network.

Well, it's a shame . . . there goes their audience. It's really sad that any hope of gaining public interest in figure skating and gymnastics has to die due to corporate greed. :(

genevieve
10-17-2011, 05:34 PM
I saw my first US ad for the changeover this weekend. I'm so very bummed.

AJ Skatefan
10-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Well, it's a shame . . . there goes their audience. It's really sad that any hope of gaining public interest in figure skating and gymnastics has to die due to corporate greed. :(

So, I'm confused. Does this mean that Universal Sports will only be on Direct TV? So, if I currently get it on Comcast, will it go away?