PDA

View Full Version : Universal Sports going off free tv..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Carmen Ovsiannikov
01-02-2012, 02:11 AM
I see that there will now be an NBC Sports channel coming in early January. That is all I know about it for now, but hopefully it will carry a lot of what Univeral Sports used to show.

I wonder if that channel will be considered an extra rather than one of the channels that come with our cable packages.

Thanks for the info HisWeirness:

Why has Universal Sports Network made the transition from free over-the-air "multicast" service to cable, satellite and telco TV providers on a subscription basis?Universal Sports Network offers some of the most compelling Olympic and adventure sports programming from around the world. This is valuable, exclusive content that merits the payment of subscription fees. Changing our distribution model from over-the-air digital multicast will also free us from bandwidth constraints and allow us to offer the network in high definition (HD) for the first time. In the end, by making this transition, Universal Sports will be able to provide a better viewing experience to the many passionate fans of the sports we televise.

I call BS on the reasoning for dropping US from our cable packages. It's all about squeezing more money out of people. If it were true about being able to show programming in HD then most of the other channels would have to switch to the paid subscription route as well. NBC among other channels have already aired programs in HD. Everyone can't afford to keep paying additional fees each time one of the companies wants to pick up some extra $$$.

It reminds me of Xfinity's (I think it's Xfinity) cable package in which you choose your main viewing interest. If you choose sports but also want to watch one of the cooking channels and say Animal Planet then it's your regular monthly cable bill plus ten dollars extra per each additional channel. How many people only watch one type of programming. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

BreakfastClub
01-02-2012, 04:49 AM
It reminds me of Xfinity's (I think it's Xfinity) cable package in which you choose your main viewing interest. If you choose sports but also want to watch one of the cooking channels and say Animal Planet then it's your regular monthly cable bill plus ten dollars extra per each additional channel. How many people only watch one type of programming. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

Xfinity (Comcast) does nothing like this. I don't know any provider who does this with run of the mill channels/networks - it's not economically viable. There are no a la carte channels other than the very specific league sports packages or channels that feature only adult programming ;)

Auntie
01-02-2012, 12:18 PM
I have Comcast. Our US channel was replaced with a country music channel as of yesterday. US still showed up on the guide. We are seeing commercials for a NBC sports channel that looks like US but I'm not sure if we are getting it.

What I don't understand is if US is an NBC product, why is NBC starting a new sports network?

emason
01-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Time Warner NYC - just a blank screen where US used to be.

Wyliefan
01-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I call BS on the reasoning for dropping US from our cable packages. It's all about squeezing more money out of people.

Exactly.

AYS
01-02-2012, 03:14 PM
I think this will take some time (and no doubt lots of coporate squabbling) to pan out. One of my concerns is, I can't imagine US can survive dependent on viewership from one provider (ie, DirecTV) only.

I am hoping to move more towards completely integrating my television and internet viewing capabilities in the near future, and I already depend on the internet for most of my skating viewing (I actually watch things like skiing/swimming more on US, and then occasionally catch repeats of skating I've already watched on IN). So I'm as concerned with US actually continuing to provide its services in any form as I am for it being available on TV.

rfisher
01-02-2012, 03:47 PM
I think this will take some time (and no doubt lots of coporate squabbling) to pan out. One of my concerns is, I can't imagine US can survive dependent on viewership from one provider (ie, DirecTV) only.

I am hoping to move more towards completely integrating my television and internet viewing capabilities in the near future, and I already depend on the internet for most of my skating viewing (I actually watch things like skiing/swimming more on US, and then occasionally catch repeats of skating I've already watched on IN). So I'm as concerned with US actually continuing to provide its services in any form as I am for it being available on TV.

My thought as well. I have a new internet capable high def TV and watched all the GP series. It was amazing. US is supposed to switch to high def as well. I have DirectTV and the sports package with US, but I suspect they are negotiating with other carriers. I understand why they can't stream it for free anymore. I wouldn't be surprised to see the slow death of free TV.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
01-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Xfinity (Comcast) does nothing like this. I don't know any provider who does this with run of the mill channels/networks - it's not economically viable. There are no a la carte channels other than the very specific league sports packages or channels that feature only adult programming ;)

Well, it may not be Xfinity (I did say I could be wrong about the carrier) but last fall there was a commercial running for awhile that allowed people to "tailor" their cable packages by interest. I didn't imagine it.

A.H.Black
01-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Well, it may not be Xfinity (I did say I could be wrong about the carrier) but last fall there was a commercial running for awhile that allowed people to "tailor" their cable packages by interest. I didn't imagine it.
I remember the add. I think it was DISH. Since I already have DISH, I decided to check it out. It wasn't anything really. I notice that add went away pretty quickly.

There was a time about 20 years ago when I was able to choose my channels al-a-carte from a specific list - up to 10 channels for $1.50 each. It was one of the main reasons I went to DISH in the first place. I was able to get satellite for $15.00 a month for several years. They discontinued it pretty quickly but I was "grandfathered" in as long as I didn't change my line-up. Once I changed it I couldn't go back. It was great as a starter package.

AJ Skatefan
01-02-2012, 10:02 PM
It seems odd that 4CC is going to be in the US and the only people in the US that will be able to watch it on TV are those with Direct TV and the sports package.

MacMadame
01-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I remember the add. I think it was DISH. Since I already have DISH, I decided to check it out. It wasn't anything really. I notice that add went away pretty quickly.

There was a time about 20 years ago when I was able to choose my channels al-a-carte from a specific list - up to 10 channels for $1.50 each. It was one of the main reasons I went to DISH in the first place. I was able to get satellite for $15.00 a month for several years. They discontinued it pretty quickly but I was "grandfathered" in as long as I didn't change my line-up. Once I changed it I couldn't go back. It was great as a starter package.
A lot of times companies have a basic package that has the channels I want but then there are one or two other channels that are in a higher level package. If I could add them in a la cart for cheaper than upgrading to the next level, I'd be very happy.

Garden Kitty
01-02-2012, 11:14 PM
I've got Comcast, and it is just a blank screen now, although it still says Universal Sports down in the corner. On the on screen program guide, it's just listed as "sign off"

AJ Skatefan
01-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I've got Comcast, and it is just a blank screen now, although it still says Universal Sports down in the corner. On the on screen program guide, it's just listed as "sign off"

Maybe they're in some kind of holding pattern until they can get it figured out. My listings still say US but they're showing informercials.

AJ Skatefan
01-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Maybe they're in some kind of holding pattern until they can get it figured out. My listings still say US but they're showing informercials.

I take that back. It's now listed as KING2 - a local station.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
01-03-2012, 02:21 AM

Thanks A.H.

According to the latest commercials, NBC Sports network supposedly debuted at 4pm est today. I wonder if it's another subscription service; I don't think it's on my cable provider.