PDA

View Full Version : Universal Sports going off free tv..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

SpeedySucks
01-01-2012, 03:59 PM
:cheer2: I do hope either US or Icenetwork makes a last minute deal to show 4CC and or Worlds. Neither is planning to do so at present. :( Neither showed 4cc last year, but I hoped they'd get a contract since it's in the US.

Worlds will be on Universal Sports again this year. US has the rights to Worlds through 2014. I assume US will have coverage of 4CC this year as well (they had TV coverage the last two years).

rfisher
01-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Worlds will be on Universal Sports again this year. US has the rights to Worlds through 2014. I assume US will have coverage of 4CC this year as well (they had TV coverage the last two years).

Thanks.

toepick
01-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Gone from Comcast in DC too. Unreal! This channel is the only reason I pay for a big cable package.

Sparks
01-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I never had UN on my Comcast. I just lost my (free) wireless connection too. :( It looks like DIRECT TV with my own wireless connection will be my gift to myself this year.

OnyxRose81
01-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I live in the Houston area and it's gone as well. This completely sucks.

skatesindreams
01-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I wonder what options the new "NBC Sports" channel (formerly VERSUS) will provide.

roxynova
01-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Here's what an article in the Philly Inquirer says RE: new NBC Sports Network:

Programming this first year will lean heavily on the Olympics, 38 regular-season Major League Soccer games, 13 IndyCar Series races, 14 hours a day of Tour de France coverage for most of July, 90 regular-season NHL games along with 50 NHL playoff games, 20 hours of horse-racing coverage around the Triple Crown, and 40 college football, basketball, and hockey games.

Sounds like if it's an Olympic year, we may see skating on NBC Sports Network...

HisWeirness
01-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Nothing new, but this is what Universal Sports posted on their facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/UniversalSports) today:

Universal Sports
Thank you all for your concern. We certainly don't want you to miss out on your favorite sports on our Network. While DIRECTV is currently the only provider who will offer the network in 2012, we are in negotiations with other providers and expect to make additional announcements soon. In the meantime, please let your TV providers know that you don’t want to miss out by calling 1-800-55-GET-US or visiting http://bit.ly/hSoWOX

Sandy
01-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I have sent many of those messages to Verizon FIOS and called the telephone number many times. The only problem is when you call the telephone number you get recordings from Verizon and by the time you get a PERSON, they can't help or know who can help. This is totally an unbelieveable (sp) situation that we are in. And Verizon is saying, "Programming is currently unavailable from content provider", which is Universal. It is Verizon that will not negotiate. It seems Direct TV is the only provider that has signed on so far.
I wish I could find someone at Verizon FIOS that we can speak too.
I not only lost the TV programming but we cannot watch online on the website. I thought, maybe, we would be able to pay to watch online!!

MacMadame
01-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Sounds like if it's an Olympic year, we may see skating on NBC Sports Network...

That's not what it said. It said it would show the Olympics. Which are the summer games so they don't have any skating.

HisWeirness
01-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I not only lost the TV programming but we cannot watch online on the website. I thought, maybe, we would be able to pay to watch online!!
I've previously purchased premium online content (video) from universalsports.com and I just went on their site today and could still login to my account and watch the premium video (via Silverlight (http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/)), as well as the free videos available on their website. It looks like they are also continuing to sell online subscriptions for upcoming live events in other sports (not FS, but it is too early for 2012 Worlds info to be out anyway):

http://www.universalsports.com/rugby/viewers-guide/index.html
http://www.universalsports.com/alpine-skiing/viewers-guide/index.html

I do not have cable or DirecTV, just a regular user account with universalsports.com

ETA from UniversalSports.com FAQ page (http://www.universalsports.com/frequently-asked-questions.html):

Will I still have access to sporting events online at UniversalSports.com?
Viewers who have access to Universal Sports through their television provider will be able to view the events online, in addition to TV, upon entering their TV subscriber information (credentials). Those who do not have access to the network will still have the opportunity to watch Universal Sports events online through a subscription package.

Why has Universal Sports Network made the transition from free over-the-air "multicast" service to cable, satellite and telco TV providers on a subscription basis?
Universal Sports Network offers some of the most compelling Olympic and adventure sports programming from around the world. This is valuable, exclusive content that merits the payment of subscription fees. Changing our distribution model from over-the-air digital multicast will also free us from bandwidth constraints and allow us to offer the network in high definition (HD) for the first time. In the end, by making this transition, Universal Sports will be able to provide a better viewing experience to the many passionate fans of the sports we televise.

The FAQ page contains more details about Universal Sports TV's transition from broadcast + cable to HD cable/satellite only.

Lavergne100
01-01-2012, 09:09 PM
I have Comcast in the Chicago suburbs. I always got Universal Sports until today. I clicked on the station and it wasn't there anymore. Happy New Year! Gee, thanks Comcast. I went through all the stations, thinking maybe they "renamed" it or something, but to no avail. It's gone: Poof! Where can I possible watch figure skating now? This is so frustrating! I'm so mad! All Comcast ever seems to do is increase my bill under the guise of "upgrading." Every time they upgrade, I LOSE stations! Sorry for the rant, but I'm really upset.

wit's end
01-01-2012, 09:56 PM
No luck with RCN in NYC (Manhattan) either. I'll keep checking and let you know if anything changes.

smileyskate
01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
I see that there will now be an NBC Sports channel coming in early January. That is all I know about it for now, but hopefully it will carry a lot of what Univeral Sports used to show.

roxynova
01-01-2012, 11:07 PM
That's not what it said. It said it would show the Olympics. Which are the summer games so they don't have any skating.

To clarify, if it's a Winter Olympic year, we may see skating on this network - of course, it's likely going to be on the main NBC channel as it is typically worthy of primetime on these rare occasions!