PDA

View Full Version : Universal Sports going off free tv..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

A.H.Black
12-28-2011, 07:25 PM
This is getting ridiculous. If you want Sunday Ticket, you need DirectTV. If you want US, you need DISH, and if you need reliable internet, you need cable from one of the providers licensed by your town. No wonder YouTube is so popular. Even if they play Whack-A-Mole and take the vids off as they find them, they're usually there long enough for most to get a chance at them.

I'm confused by your reference to DISH. DISH has a channel called Universal but it is not Universal Sports. DISH has never had Universal Sports. The only provider to have Universal Sports after January 1st will be DirectTV. At least for now.

I understand that the local station distribution arrangements expire at midnight on December 31, 2011 and the network will be distributed directly to cable, satellite and telco TV providers on a subscription basis. So, why will FIOS which is a (telco) provider pick up this option and use it as On Demand or a Pay Channel, like HBO, etc. I wish I knew how we couldconvince FIOS to not drop this channel.

The Universal help page goes on to explain -

Why is Universal Sports Network making this transition?
Universal Sports Network offers some of the most compelling Olympic and adventure sports programming from around the world. This is valuable, exclusive content that merits the payment of subscription fees. Changing our distribution model from over-the-air digital multicast will also free us from bandwidth constraints and allow us to offer the network in high definition (HD) for the first time. In the end, by making this transition, Universal Sports will be able to provide a better viewing experience to the many passionate fans of the sports we televise.

It seems clear that Universal thinks they can make more money and provide more services by going to subscription distribution. Maybe they are right. I think they are taking a risk.

Cyn
12-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Two days ago, I talked to a Comcast rep about the US issue, and she assured me that we would not be losing US in this area.

Bull. Shit.

Comcast in North Georgia has officially screwed its customers. They're now broadcasting some bullshit channel with ancient series from the 60s and 70s like Dragnet, Adam 12, and the like, even though the cable guide still shows the channel (247) as Universal Sports and the programming schedule for it, and there's no new channel showing up anywhere in the lineup as an alternative.

I'm so pissed right now I could spit nails.

skatesindreams
12-28-2011, 08:06 PM
We've been getting that channel in my area of FL for some time; instead of Universal Sports, even when our local NBC affiliate could have carried it.

LEO59
12-30-2011, 03:48 AM
Update: I was watching Sking again today and now Universal Sports has added "Time-Warner Cable" to the list of those who may not be carrying it on Jan 1 2012 on its message scroll at the bottom of its screen...

Sandy
12-30-2011, 03:44 PM
It seems that many providers are not going with the new Universal Sports, maybe, they will not make the change if they only have one or two providers.

missing
12-30-2011, 03:51 PM
I have Time Warner cable, and its on screen program listings have nothing for Universal Sports starting Jan. 1.

DORISPULASKI
12-30-2011, 04:21 PM
I have Comcast here in CT, and I have listings past Jan 1!!

Plus tonight, US is airing a skating retrospective for 2011 at 8 PM. When I checked to see whether the guide was updated, there it was.

I have scheduled to record it :)

skatesindreams
12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Let us know what happens, Doris!

AJ Skatefan
12-30-2011, 10:39 PM
I have Comcast here in CT, and I have listings past Jan 1!!

Plus tonight, US is airing a skating retrospective for 2011 at 8 PM. When I checked to see whether the guide was updated, there it was.

I have scheduled to record it :)

I also have Comcast and have listings past Jan 1 but they're cooking shows and travel show. No sports.

DORISPULASKI
12-30-2011, 10:50 PM
I had Skiing, and a repeat of the year end figure skating retrospective, and the gymnastics retrospective.

AJ Skatefan
12-30-2011, 10:54 PM
I had Skiing, and a repeat of the year end figure skating retrospective, and the gymnastics retrospective.

What's listed for Jan. 2nd and 3rd?

kwanette
12-30-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm in South Jersey (Comcast)and checked through next Wednesday and there are all kinds of sports listed..skiing, skating, cycling bobsledding..If I keep US, I'll never post in a Tara/Michelle thread ever again..:P

AJ Skatefan
12-30-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm in South Jersey (Comcast)and checked through next Wednesday and there are all kinds of sports listed..skiing, skating, cycling bobsledding..If I keep US, I'll never post in a Tara/Michelle thread ever again..:P

I'm jealous....

kwanette
12-31-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm jealous....

I'll trade you my US for Life and you can beam me to SJ and the Kween's reception..

Right now they are replaying Gachinski's lp from Worlds.on US..to Brian Orser's Oly lp music..Had to leave the room..My eyes hurt..

AJ Skatefan
12-31-2011, 05:18 AM
I'll trade you my US for Life and you can beam me to SJ and the Kween's reception..

Right now they are replaying Gachinski's lp from Worlds.on US..to Brian Orser's Oly lp music..Had to leave the room..My eyes hurt..

It's a deal, kwanette. Luckily, I have Canadian tv to watch 4CC and Worlds.