PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Davis/Themistocles Leftheris (USA) Split

Pages : 1 [2]

Rochelle
09-13-2011, 12:54 AM
We'll probably never know the reasons for the split... or how they split... but to break up less than two weeks after the U.S. Figure Skating Qualifying Deadline? Really?

Not that it would have been much better to break up 1-2 weeks before the Sept. 1 deadline to then encourage one/both to potentially rush into a partnership with someone who was available and not necessarily an ideal match. But still. :shuffle: I suppose it's better than drawing it out, collecting the envelope money, spending the money to train a few months longer, and ultimately wasting time with one another when they can be searching for partners (or new coaches) and sharpening up their solo skating skills.

Sigh. :( They were looking really :kickass: overall at Indy Challenge. Best of luck to them both. I for one will miss them this season at Nationals. I wonder if one of the "straws" was they felt they weren't being supported by U.S. Figure Skating with the lack of international assignments, etc.

Is there any indication that Lindsay may have entered Regionals ladies this year?

victoriaheidi
09-13-2011, 05:33 PM
NONONONO!

You all know how much I loved this team.

What a lovely start to my early class day. :(

Oh well. I hope Lindsay picks up singles again!

stjeaskategym
09-14-2011, 06:24 AM
I wonder if one of the "straws" was they felt they weren't being supported by U.S. Figure Skating with the lack of international assignments, etc.

I'm not sure what USFS can do about this... The competition opportunities for Sr Pairs who are not in line for a GP or at least a host pick to Skate America (so pretty much anyone outside the top 6 nationally) are rather horrible. In the other disciplines, it is easy to have a fulfilling competitive season... There are several decent summer competitions, Regionals, Sectionals, a couple solid Senior Bs... Sectionals and even Regionals can be quite intense and exciting, making it an honor to qualify to Nationals. Sr Pairs pretty much have none of that. Indy is great, but good luck finding much, if any, meaningful competition after that until Nationals unless you are a GP team.

Even without this split, USFS should probably rethink the whole "first groups of pairs skate in a separate session at Nationals" thing. We don't have enough pairs for that to make any real sense. I know it's for TV purposes, but it seems silly to have 3 or fewer pairs skating separately.

reese
09-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Yeah, maybe they were waiting to see if they got the last Skate America host pick and when they didn't it was the last straw.

Rochelle
09-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Even without this split, USFS should probably rethink the whole "first groups of pairs skate in a separate session at Nationals" thing. We don't have enough pairs for that to make any real sense. I know it's for TV purposes, but it seems silly to have 3 or fewer pairs skating separately.

I totally agree, and mentioned that concern a while ago on the Pairs thread in the Trash Can folder.

Hopefully when they planned out the schedule, they were doing so under the impression of their being 14-16 pairs or so. Now we're down to likely 11 teams, and odds are at least someone else will get injured or split before Nationals. So that's probably 10 senior pairs teams that take the ice at Nationals.

8 pairs will compete in the final 2 flights on Sunday, so it's just degrading at this point to schedule the remaining 2 teams on Saturday night, as indicated now at http://www.skatesanjose2012.com/. Not to mention it's a complete inconvenience at this point for all of the officials serving on the Senior Pairs FS event to be spread over a second evening -- just for 2 additional teams. Adding the two teams to Sunday's schedule would only take up about... 20 minutes total (warm-up, free skates, IJS scoring pause, etc.), plus potentially one additional ice resurface depending on the Chief Referee's preference.

The individual "Session"/event tickets aren't on sale yet, are they? Hopefully the schedule will be updated before they are, to allow for all of the Senior Pairs to compete together on Sunday without having the excuse that they can't disappoint the ticket holders who have session tickets for Championship Ladies Free Skate & What-was-to-be-Championship-Pairs-Warm-Up-Groups-1&2..

skatemommy
09-14-2011, 05:23 PM
^ ITA and also in the trash can folder the September 1st deadline for sectionals in an event (Senior Pairs) that isn't going to fill up. As was mentioned it should stay strict for the lower levels that have to earn their way out, but perhaps an exception could be made for a newly formed team.