PDA

View Full Version : Remembering September 11, 2001, ten years later (Threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

FigureSpins
09-12-2011, 06:38 PM
ITA - the photos I've seen are beautiful.

cruisin
09-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Some have also expressed disgust that the City or others will somehow make money from the memorial, through admission. Still, that would cover the costs of upkeep, long-term, after a few generations. (Just being honest) The one compelling objection I heard was street vendors hawking "WTC Memorial" t-shirts and making money. That one's a legit complaint, imo. NYC has enough tackiness without that trash.

I agree that this is a legitimate issue. Though I doubt it will be the city making money from "souvenir" sales. It will be individuals. It reminds me of what happened in Maui, just after the earth quake in Japan. It was feared that Hawaii would be hit hard by tidal waves. Many people in beach front hotels were evacuated to higher floors or other buildings. We were evacuated to the lobby, which was on the 5th floor at 1:00am, until 7:30am. Fortunately, Hawaii was spared. The day after, I saw tourists walking around with t-shirts saying "I survived the Tsunami". It made me ill. All these people "survived' was some inconvenience and maybe a little loss of sleep. Thousands of people died in Japan, countless were injured and/or lost everything. How could some callous person make money off of such crude t-shirts? And How could others buy and wear them?

FigureSpins
09-12-2011, 06:52 PM
I thought that was common knowledge: there are no "NYC-owned/operated" street vendors. They're weasles. If people didn't buy their crap, they'd be out of business. Entrepeneurs, my *** - they're con artists.

Street vendors are supposed to have valid vending licenses, but most of the shady characters don't pay. That's why, when the cops come walking down, they fold up shop and run. They would be the ones selling the trinkets and crap.

However, the future 9/11 Museum might have a gift shop or a refreshment stand. Those revenues might go to the City's coffers, depending on ownership/operation. I would expect that to be have less-tacky merchandise: memorial cards, bracelets, "before" postcards, etc. They'd be walking on egg shells in selecting things, though.

On my former employer's memorial website, I was touched to see how many people posted things like "I've never been to NYC and I never met (victim), but I received their name on a card/bracelet/etc. at a charity benefit. I wanted express my sorrow and sympathy for your loss. I will think/pray for you all." Very sweet and touching.

Jackie Sparrow
09-12-2011, 06:52 PM
It was a holiday in Switzerland and I went to the cinema with my mother. The film was Along Came a Spider. When I got home, at around 11 am NY time, I had a text from my best friend back then, saying that the US has been attacked. I turned on the telly and just could not believe it. Because both towers had collapsed already at that time, the pictures that I got to see was of what had already happened. It felt like a dream...a very bad one... I watched till early in the morning over and over again and it did not sink in.

I was at the WTC just two months before, down at the mall. And I went back to NYC just a month after. I went to Ground Zero. I can still smell the burned buildings now.

cruisin
09-12-2011, 08:09 PM
I thought that was common knowledge: there are no "NYC-owned/operated" street vendors. They're weasles. If people didn't buy their crap, they'd be out of business. Entrepeneurs, my *** - they're con artists.

I think it's common knowledge for people who know the city, but not necessarily for those who don't.

However, the future 9/11 Museum might have a gift shop or a refreshment stand. Those revenues might go to the City's coffers, depending on ownership/operation. I would expect that to be have less-tacky merchandise: memorial cards, bracelets, "before" postcards, etc. They'd be walking on egg shells in selecting things, though.

They could sell books written about what happened and terrorism in general. I have been to other memorial sites where that was done.

vesperholly
09-12-2011, 08:44 PM
On my former employer's memorial website, I was touched to see how many people posted things like "I've never been to NYC and I never met (victim), but I received their name on a card/bracelet/etc. at a charity benefit. I wanted express my sorrow and sympathy for your loss. I will think/pray for you all." Very sweet and touching.

Reminds me of the Holocaust museum in DC, where you are given a card with a person's name on it, and you find out if they lived or died at the end of the tour.

Lacey
09-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Fortunately for us, we were not directly involved in 9/11. Oldest daughter called me after first building was hit, she was six states away from me, and together over the phone we watched 2nd one be hit and both towers fall. It was good to have someone with whom to watch.

Later on, we realized that the building where my DH worked in Phila was the tallest in town, so we phoned to urge him to leave and come home, which he did.

Youngest DD was in HS about a half mile away. I walked down, am glad I did because she was freaking out about her dad not being safe in the tallest building in town, and I was able to reassure her.

The film by the two french film makers (supposed to be about a FF Rookie) was excellent:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312318/

They really were in the right place at the right time if you wanted an inside story, including just happening to have a camera on the first building exactly as it was hit, since they were racing down there to answer a false alarm about a gassy smell just before everything started to happen that day. They showed a repeat of it last night (from 5 years ago), including the first recorded death who was an Irish Catholic Father who presumably was hit just outside one tower. They have added another tragic hour about how several of them (firefighters, maybe Engine 1?) who miraculously all made it through that 9/11 day have gotten very sick with respiratory and cancer problems within the last several months, years, some have died. They really need to pursue this, have finally gotten medical coverage for lungs, but not for cancer, and this will expire soon, after all their trouble to get coverage. The air quality was really not safe, despite many many saying, oh, everything's fine, including the female head of the EPA (former governor of NJ?). It was NOT FINE.

My FIL was in a fire in their home where 40 year old son was killed and 3 year old grandson was slightly injured. He tried to do the rescue when he was about 70, now 91, gets pneumonia 2-3 times per year, always hospitalized, and will die of lung disease. Those poor people from 9/11 have no way to get rid of the gunk in their lungs.

harekrishna43
09-12-2011, 10:58 PM
The film by the two french film makers (supposed to be about a FF Rookie) was excellent:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312318/

They have added another tragic hour about how several of them (firefighters, maybe Engine 1?) who miraculously all made it through that 9/11 day have gotten very sick with respiratory and cancer problems within the last several months, years, some have died. They really need to pursue this, have finally gotten medical coverage for lungs, but not for cancer, and this will expire soon, after all their trouble to get coverage. The air quality was really not safe, despite many many saying, oh, everything's fine, including the female head of the EPA (former governor of NJ?). It was NOT FINE.

I missed seeing this rerun on CBS with the additional footage. I hope I can get it from CBS On Demand.

I visited this firehouse several times in the days following 9/11. I had jury duty once the courts re-opened and stopped by the firehouse on my way home to talk to some of the firefighters. I learned that they had not lost anyone on 9/11 and were dealing with survivors guilt knowing that so many of their fellow firefighters perished that day. They were selling some T-Shirts from their house to raise money for the Widows & Orphans Fund and I bought as much as I could with the cash I had on me at the time. Friends far and wide asked me to go back for more shirts and whatever else the firehouse was selling and I made 4 or 5 more visits trying to fill these orders until they were asked to stop selling stuff and closed their "store". I didn't know about the film until it aired in 2002 and was stunned to see so many of the men I'd spoken to right there in the thick of the smoke and destruction.

In the years since, I haven't been downtown much at all. I now live and work uptown. But I've often thought about these brave men and all the hours they put in working on the "pile" at Ground Zero, wondering about the impact it had on them physically and emotionally. Very sad to know they are now at the mercy of managed care insurance who are denying their claims.

allezfred
09-12-2011, 11:06 PM
They have added another tragic hour about how several of them (firefighters, maybe Engine 1?) who miraculously all made it through that 9/11 day have gotten very sick with respiratory and cancer problems within the last several months, years, some have died. They really need to pursue this, have finally gotten medical coverage for lungs, but not for cancer, and this will expire soon, after all their trouble to get coverage. The air quality was really not safe, despite many many saying, oh, everything's fine, including the female head of the EPA (former governor of NJ?). It was NOT FINE.

I saw that on another documentary that was shown here last night. What a disgrace and truly disgusting. :mad:

FGRSK8
09-12-2011, 11:10 PM
We are forever linked to this date, since it is now our anniversary.

It brings mixed emotions for us since we were married on that day but we lost friends and know people who escaped the South Tower.

Strange day indeed....

agalisgv
09-12-2011, 11:41 PM
My dad worked for the military and spent much of his time at the Pentagon. That day we tried contacting him, but all the circuits were down. He turned out to be ok. My uncle worked in the next department from my dad. He was called in that day to either pick up or drop off some files at the Pentagon. He was there when the plane stuck. He did not survive.

My cousin was living with me at the time. Because her mom had health issues, she had been raised for awhile by her auntie (the two were very close). Her auntie was a stewardess for United Airlines. Whenever my cousin wanted to visit me, her auntie would give her free vouchers of some sort for her to fly.

On 9/11, we knew her auntie was scheduled to fly, but didn't know when or which flight. Again, circuits were down so we couldn't locate her right away. We later learned she was scheduled for UA 93 that day. In a strange twist of fate, my cousin's auntie switched flights at the last minute with her best friend. It was her daughter's first day of kindergarten, so she called her bf to see if she would switch routes with her at the last minute in order to go with her daughter to her first day of school. Her friend agreed to the switch. We later learned her bf was the first to be killed--her throat was apparently slashed. My cousin's auntie has never forgiven herself for her bf's death.

skatesindreams
09-12-2011, 11:45 PM
agalisgv, my sympathy to you, and your family.

skatemommy
09-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Oh my, I am so sorry. The flight attendants were so brave. God Bless your family. Off to have a good cry...

cruisin
09-12-2011, 11:57 PM
My dad worked for the military and spent much of his time at the Pentagon. That day we tried contacting him, but all the circuits were down. He turned out to be ok. My uncle worked in the next department from my dad. He was called in that day to either pick up or drop off some files at the Pentagon. He was there when the plane stuck. He did not survive.

My cousin was living with me at the time. Because her mom had health issues, she had been raised for awhile by her auntie (the two were very close). Her auntie was a stewardess for United Airlines. Whenever my cousin wanted to visit me, her auntie would give her free vouchers of some sort for her to fly.

On 9/11, we knew her auntie was scheduled to fly, but didn't know when or which flight. Again, circuits were down so we couldn't locate her right away. We later learned she was scheduled for UA 93 that day. In a strange twist of fate, my cousin's auntie switched flights at the last minute with her best friend. It was her daughter's first day of kindergarten, so she called her bf to see if she would switch routes with her at the last minute in order to go with her daughter to her first day of school. Her friend agreed to the switch. We later learned her bf was the first to be killed--her throat was apparently slashed. My cousin's auntie has never forgiven herself for her bf's death.

How awful. So sorry about your uncle. Your cousin's auntie needs to find a way to forgive herself. She had no way of knowing what would happen. That is heart breaking.

Vash01
09-13-2011, 12:01 AM
slashed. My cousin's auntie has never forgiven herself for her bf's death.

(Whole post)

Agalisgv,

I am so sorry to hear these stories! Cruisin is right; your aunt must forgive herself because she really could not be the cause of this.