PDA

View Full Version : Remembering September 11, 2001, ten years later (Threads merged)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

kittyjake5
09-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I had just arrived at work in Boston and one of my co-workers wife called saying there was a crash at the towers in NY at that time she thought it was an airplane accident, then the Pentagon crash and at that moment in time no one had to tell me that we were under attack. I take the subway to work and the first thought in my mind was to get out of Boston and call my mother. I called my mother to tell her to put the television on (she never watches) she said it was on and she knew about the attacks because my cousin from Italy called to see if she was all right.

I got home turned on the TV and watched and cried as the disaster and destruction unfolded before me. I and many other Americans walked around shell shocked for weeks as the dirty details of the attack became known.

RIP to all that lost their lives that day and to all of the people who worked tirelessly to search for survivors and in doing so lost their own lives.

Angelskates
09-11-2011, 02:13 PM
What a beautiful idea, having the names inscribed so the families can put a piece of paper and rub over it to take home as a memorial.

skatefan
09-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Today, as every September 11th, my American flag is flying.

I will never forget the horrors of September 11th and ten years on, the feelings I had watching live television that day seem so easily refreshed whenever I see an image of the WTC.

To all those innocents who died as a result of these acts of cold blooded utter wickedness, may you rest in peace.

Angelskates
09-11-2011, 02:22 PM
The National Geographic special, '9/11 A Day to Remember: The American Dream' is interviewing some of the foreigners or foreigner's families, so hard to watch. Some saw their kids die and were a miles away, in another country. :( I just can't imagine it.

Bostonfan
09-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I was working for the same company as I do now, but in a position that required travel. I had to travel to our many locations across the U.S. to teach strategic planning strategies to our various operations. That week, I traveled to L.A. on American Flight 11 from Boston to L.A. on Monday 9/10/01. One day made the difference.

I'll never forget the panic I felt trying to call my parents. Because of the time difference, by the time I woke up and turned on the TV, they had confirmed and were reporting that it was an American flight out of Boston heading for L.A. I was not diligent about telling anyone in my family about my travel itinerary because I did so much traveling that year. But I do remember telling my mom that previous weekend that I was going to be flying to L.A. that week. All I could think of was how freaked out she must have been when they reported the plane was one that left Logan bound for L.A. I couldn't get through on my cell phone. It was many hours before I was able to get through, but by that time she had managed to call someone at my office in Natick, MA, who told her that I flew out on Monday.

For two straight days, I felt like I never stopped watching TV. I know I must have slept at some point, but I left the TV on. I do remember that around Thursday night I had hit my limit and had to force myself to turn off the TV and go outside and just get away from any radios or TVs.

When I had to think about going home, the thought of flying paralyzed me. I finally decided I would drive home. This was before GPS was common in cars, and I was never much for map reading. Fortunately one of my colleagues that had flown in from Akron, Ohio on Monday 9/10/01 felt the same way and we agreed to drive together. I ended up finding two other people who needed to get back East too that joined us for the road trip. I never imagined driving cross-country, and I wish it could have been a difference experience. All I wanted to do was get home. So we pretty much only stopped for gas and to shower. Most hotels, once we told them what happened, were happy to let us in their hotel rooms for a few hours to shower and rest. They never charged us a dime.

I had to tell my boss I could no longer serve in my current position. I was just traumatized by the thought of getting on a plane. He was very understanding and moved me into a H.R. position that didn't require plane travel. It was at least 4 years before I got up the courage to fly again. And I only do so now very infrequently.

For me, when I think about 9/11, my mind first goes to the passengers on all the flights that were hijacked that morning. I can't help but think about how scared they must have been. It's hard not to imagine myself in their place. I've never seen the movie Flight 93. I just can't do it.

Susan1
09-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I remember the silence of no airplanes overhead for weeks while all flights were grounded. Eery. I remember being happy and nervous when they were heard flying again.

I really have no personal connection to share, being so far away in Ohio and fortunately not knowing anyone in New York, but that comment reminded me that that day after all the planes had been grounded (with the t.v. on all day and the windows open), later in the day I heard what was definitely a plane. I ran outside to look (not like they were going to crash into a middle class neighborhood or something). Way, way, way up, I saw and heard a big white plane going very, very fast. (A person driving down my street right then actually stopped the car and got out and looked.) We didn't know what to think. Later, a friend, who had been sent home earlier from Wright Patterson AFB, said that it was a decoy for the President's plane flying back from whatever bunker he was in on the way back to DC. Cool, huh?

Plus all day and into the night, Air Force helicopters flew a continuous path all around the Dayton area. I'd be on the phone with my mom 10 minutes away and hear the helicopter and then a couple minutes later she would hear it overhead. Comforting and scary at the same time.

allezfred
09-11-2011, 02:31 PM
This (http://www.naebunny.net/~mommylemur/?p=2154) is one of the stories that has stayed with me since 2001. Such a series of tragic coincidences. :(

sk8pics
09-11-2011, 02:32 PM
UMBS Go Blue, your post made me cry. I am glad you are still with us.

I am from Brooklyn and you could see the NYC skyline from where I grew up. I haven't lived there for many years, but my aunt (the same one who's in the hospital now) lives there and I remember she went down to the water and watched that morning. I was home from work that day sick with some sort of bug. I hadn't had much sleep the night before and I'd gotten up and turned on the TV and was dozing on the couch. I woke up to scenes on TV of the towers burning and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I thought it must be a movie. I don't know how long it took before my brain could process what was going on. I felt so sick at the time that it didn't really sink in.

A cousin of mine lived on the upper west side and she was okay. I remember the relief when we found that out.

And flight 93.... I cannot imagine being in that situation, knowing I was going to die.... and having the courage to fight back the way those heroes did.

I have not watched any of the ceremonies... too hard.

FigureSpins
09-11-2011, 02:35 PM
I had changed jobs a year before my then-employer decided to move to the Towers from Midtown, purely because of the commute. I probably would have stayed with them if I'd known they were going to relocate since I could get to the WTC in less than an hour, as opposed to the 2-hour commute to midtown.

On 9/11, there was an early-morning manager's meeting. Dozens of my colleagues were killed instantly by the first plane, although I didn't find out for a few weeks. I was on the company's memorial website last night and it struck me that everyone that died were people who just got up and went to work that day - secretaries, stockbrokers, IT crews.

On 9/11, my then-11 yo daughter was at school and I was home with my toddlers. I went to turn the news off when DH stopped me, saying "I think they said a plane just hit the WTC." Went downstairs and turned on the TV to see footage of the first tower. As I was watching, I saw an explosion erupt from the second tower, and seconds later, I heard the boom in real life. The crash was so loud, I heard it 10 miles away at my house. We called the school, which was even closer, and they told us to wait before trying to pick up because the roads needed to stay open for emergency vehicles. The view from the school an short time later was horrifying - you could clearly see both towers afire, the plumes of acrid smoke that permeated everything for weeks.

My brother worked very close to the WTC. That morning, he looked out his office window to see papers flying and wondered what the ticker-tape parade was for today. What he was seeing were documents and memos that had literally been blown apart by the planes hitting offices. He locked down the servers and hoofed it to the SI Ferry terminal, managing to get on the last ferry out of Manhattan before the first collapse. I had goosebumps as he told the story of the dustcloud chasing the ferry across the harbor.

People walked for miles and miles because mass transit wasn't running. Bridges and tunnels were closed, so you couldn't go anywhere by car, pedestrians were hurried across in small groups, for fear of another plane. (My niece was stranded, but safe, in NJ and couldn't get back home because of closures for several days.) Stores and gas stations were closed.

Yet, there are things that people did for which we are eternally grateful.

There are a lot of ways out of NYC and a lot of brave people. The ferries carried many people to safety and brought in rescue crews and equipment to Manhattan. People used their own cars to shuttle pedestrians to their next crossing on their long walk home.

Emergency shelters and strangers cared for those displaced and stranded. People opened their doors to travelers and took them in until they could find their way home. They gave them clothing, food and shelter.

First-responders, many volunteers, came with equipment and manpower to not only "work the heap," but to fill our firehouses and police stations, keeping the rest of NYC safe from other dangers. It was odd to see yellow fire engines in the spot where our traditional red ones belonged.

Timing is everything: many people had taken the morning or day off for various reasons, including taking their kids to school, stopping to talk to a friend, and last-minute changes of plans. Some people just missed their plane/bus/train/ferry and were running late; others had changed flight reservations for one reason or another. The toll would have been much higher had the first plane hit an hour or two later.

NY'ers are brave, with excellent "street smarts." A church friend's office was evacuated from the second tower because of the first plane strike on the other building. His manager wanted everyone to go back inside to work since that fire wouldn't affect them, in his opinion. My friend refused and argued with the guy. As the cops stepped in to prevent the pending fistfight, the second plane struck. Had they been in the building... I know of ten other stories, where people just thought on their feet and got themselves, and others, out of harms' way.

NYC and the Port Authority had prepared emergency plans, so while their illustrious "bunker" was useless under Building 7, they were able to scramble and get things under control elsewhere.

Fergus
09-11-2011, 02:50 PM
One thing that I will always remember about September 11, 2001, was that the weather was just stunningly beautiful that morning. It was a clear, perfectly blue sky, just a few fluffy white clouds, no humidity, a light refreshing breeze, just absolutely gorgeous.....and then the city descended into hell........

The camaraderie displayed by 8 million strangers on that day and the days that followed was truly extraordinary. I also will always be grateful for the outpouring of compassion from across the globe.

FigureSpins
09-11-2011, 02:56 PM
It was a beautiful morning and it was eerie that afternoon, thinking about the horrors across the harbor and seeing that blue sky.

allezfred
09-11-2011, 03:02 PM
How wide is Governor Christie? :eek:

MikiAndoFan#1
09-11-2011, 03:04 PM
This (http://www.naebunny.net/~mommylemur/?p=2154) is one of the stories that has stayed with me since 2001. Such a series of tragic coincidences. :(

So sad. :wuzrobbed

topaz
09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
God Bless the families and those who lost friends and loved one on this day. 10:28am EST, the North Tower collapsed. :(

milanessa
09-11-2011, 03:38 PM
How wide is Governor Christie? :eek:

About the width of Teaneck. ;)