PDA

View Full Version : Tipping - For? Against? How Much? Yes To Waitstaff, But No To...?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

CantALoop
09-13-2011, 09:56 PM
That's a nice gesture...but actually the owner pays, right?

An extra shot of espresso or a few more ounces of milk really is nothing compared to the markup of the drink itself. Additionally, a customer who really goes out of their way to be nice is a rare bird.

He/she should. Good customer relations. Besides, it's not like she is upgrading every other drink... :)

Exactly. It's not only about showing appreciation, but it helps bring people back for repeat business. The business is going to make a profit off every drink even if there's a small extra added in, so establishing a loyal clientele pays off in the long term.

Habs
09-13-2011, 10:12 PM
You have to put up with some sh*t and attitude from customers who think they can yank your chain just because you're working a low-wage job.

I do agree with you, but I have to say, even in my corporate job , I still put up with a lot of sh*t and attitude from a lot of people. I don't think that's exclusive to the service industry.

Japanfan
09-14-2011, 12:17 AM
I consider tipping in restaurants mandatory but can never remember how much is standard here - I think it's 15%. That said, it just adds on to the cost of eating out, which I find to be really expensive in comparison to cooking at home, especially since I like to have a drink as well. For me it's a cost I prefer to avoid, so I don't eat out much.

There are so many people you have to tip: the pizza delivery man, the cab driver, the hotel maid, the hairdresser. I can't say these people don't deserve tips, but I don't always want to pay them - for that reason, I've refused hotel cleaning service service.

I do have a bit of an issue tipping a hairdresser who is already more money than me (which is the case with my hairdresser). I find it really confrontational when the debit machine asks me whether to tip and to avoid that, have paid in cash.

CantALoop
09-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Starbucks is one of the best jobs you can get these days if you don't have a college degree -- around here, they start above minimum wage, provide regular, scheduled raises and even offer health insurance. Starbucks would still do a pretty good job taking care of their employees even if they didn't have a tip jar.

I agree that Starbucks seems to treat its associates well on the mainland, but it was a bit different in Hawai'i. Even though we're a part of the United States, somehow stores here fall under Starbucks International (no stock benefits, boo). They did pay a dollar above minimum wage, and IIRC I got a $0.15/hour increase every 3 months which was the maximum based on performance. Hawai'i state law requires employers to provide insurance for any worker who works part time (i.e. >= 20 hours) - Starbucks avoided that by scheduling us for a maximum of 19 hours a week.
Like I said before, the monetary value of tips weren't important to me because they ended up being barely 1% of my paycheck. Personally, I appreciated the gesture more than anything, so that's why I usually drop a few cents in the jar (unless the service was really horrible).

I do agree with you, but I have to say, even in my corporate job , I still put up with a lot of sh*t and attitude from a lot of people. I don't think that's exclusive to the service industry.
Oh definitely, there are d*ckheads in every industry, not just the service industry. That's why if I get excellent treatment or customer service from a non-service industry person, I make sure to thank and compliment them, especially if there's a chance it might be a recorded call.

gladiatorqueen
09-14-2011, 08:04 AM
I generally aim for around 18-19%, unless the experience is really horrendous. We had one once when the service was so bad that my friend refused to leave more than $1 in tip to make his point. I think I convinced him to bring it up to $3 or so, on a $20 meal... not spectacular, but oy, it was bad service.

I'm quite a generous tipper, but I refuse to leave any tip if the service is that terrible or the server is rude. A tip is for good, not crappy, service. I will also let the server/manager know why I am not leaving a tip. That rarely ever happens though, thank god.

Oh, one case in point. I frequent a local pub and one of the bartenders (a young smart ass) would not quit calling me "Mrs. SO" (even though my guy and are not married). I asked him, politely, to please stop referring to me in that manner and he refused. So, I let him know I wouldn't be tipping him much or at all if he continued. He continued until he realized how much I was tipping all the other bartenders. :rofl: Now he is very nice to me and I tip him well.

julieann
09-14-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm quite a generous tipper, but I refuse to leave any tip if the service is that terrible or the server is rude. A tip is for good, not crappy, service. I will also let the server/manager know why I am not leaving a tip. That rarely ever happens though, thank god.

Well said, ITA!