PDA

View Full Version : Tipping - For? Against? How Much? Yes To Waitstaff, But No To...?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

DarrellH
09-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Then we get into the subject of "tracts". I hated working on Sundays for lunch. Large groups of church go-ers, and/or extended familes, would come in, complain about everything, then leave no tip at all. They'd leave a tract, which is a pamplet from church with a prayer and/or blessing in it. When you work in a restaurant that tracks your sales by computer, an average of 8% of sales is expected to be what you'd make in tips, and is reported to the government. So when you get no tip on a $100 check, you just paid $8 to wait on these people.

genevieve
09-13-2011, 06:52 PM
When you work in a restaurant that tracks your sales by computer, an average of 8% of sales is expected to be what you'd make in tips, and is reported to the government. So when you get no tip on a $100 check, you just paid $8 to wait on these people.
Correction: you just paid the income tax on $8 to those people.

When I worked at a Perkins Restaurant in Ohio, we also had the automatic 8% sales tip tracking... it's not so much the individual tables, but the shift - there were definitely days were my overall tips for the shift were NOT 8%, which was a big honkin drag...although in reality, in the history of my employment there, I probably made over 8% so really it does even out. Doesn't take the sting out of a shift that leaves you feeling underwater on the tax, though.

Plus....it's never the tables that were so easy you won't even remember them tomorrow (i.e. simple orders, no special requests, no chit chat, no refills, no disruptive behavior, no problems with the food, no camping out at the table) that stiff you, right? :lol:

my little pony
09-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Then we get into the subject of "tracts". .

zomg, i havent seen a tract in so long

i still have one, it was a comic book and the kid kept encountering sin then ultimately burned in hell. it was unintentionally hysterical.

Prancer
09-13-2011, 07:57 PM
zomg, i havent seen a tract in so long

Would you like me to send you some? Tracts and booklets turn up in my mailbox, on my door, and in library books all the time.

vesperholly
09-13-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't understand the people who are confused about why they have to tip and where to draw the line on who to tip. When it comes to restaurants, in the US, you tip because the server makes around $2 an hour and relies on tips to make enough money to live. No one can live on $2 an hour in the US. You tip or don't eat in the restaurant.

Restaurant managers are legally responsible for making up the gap in wages for waitresses that fail to clear minimum wage after tips.

Whether or not people can live on minimum wage in the US is another discussion ...

my little pony
09-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Would you like me to send you some? Tracts and booklets turn up in my mailbox, on my door, and in library books all the time.

no thank you. unless now they are putting $ in them. but i suspect they are still w/o $.

milanessa
09-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Restaurant managers are legally responsible for making up the gap in wages for waitresses that fail to clear minimum wage after tips.

I thought Prancer made the point very well upthread but some people just like to bitch.

milanessa
09-13-2011, 08:49 PM
He/she should. Good customer relations. Besides, it's not like she is upgrading every other drink... :)

Absolutely disagree.

my little pony
09-13-2011, 09:01 PM

i never heard this while i was working in restaurants. if i had known it, i would have never asked them to make up the difference. i just can't imagine that it would have gone well.

genevieve
09-13-2011, 09:06 PM
I never heard that in my many years as a server either - I am sure it's true, but it's certainly something that employers do not advertise to their staff. In fact, I'm sure many smaller restaurant owners don't know it, and would definitely challenge it, and probably eliminate any staff who pressed for it.

Many restaurants already make their staff report tips - whether they report them accurately or not is debatable, but often servers are reporting tips, so I really don't think that's a deterrent to servers using this law to make up their tips on a bad shift. I think it's mostly lack of knowledge about their rights, tempered with concern about job security - or if it's unusual for a server to make less than minimum wage on a shift, why bother going through the hassle.

Habs
09-13-2011, 09:18 PM
I tip 15% to taxi drivers on top of the fare. Lately, a lot of taxi drivers have been acting like they deserve more :rolleyes:

One time on vacation in the US, Mr. Habs and I were on our way to the airport to go home. It was a short cab ride and when we pooled all of our American cash, we had $5 more than the fare, and gave it to the cabbie as a tip. He took it, called us cheap bastards and said I could get my own bag out of the trunk.

milanessa
09-13-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm not surprised that a lot of servers aren't aware. Often they're young and just taking a job to get by while they're going to school or they're young and desperate to just have some money coming in. That's a shame but it doesn't negate the fact that they're entitled to make minimum wage. I'm not being dismissive of how hard the work is but the crap about making $2 or $3 an hour so we should all empty our wallets to you is ridiculous. Knowledge is power.

Prancer
09-13-2011, 09:25 PM
I thought Prancer made the point very well upthread but some people just like to bitch.

:lol: I believe that was your point, ma'am.

milanessa
09-13-2011, 09:36 PM
:lol: I believe that was your point, ma'am.

Oh. :slinkaway

Wait a minute what point are we talking about? I was referring to this post, ladyPrancer.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3287375&postcount=59

:wuzrobbed: I'm so misunderstood. :drama:

aster
09-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Why? Because I know what it's like to be on the other side of that counter. You have to put up with some sh*t and attitude from customers who think they can yank your chain just because you're working a low-wage job.

Starbucks is one of the best jobs you can get these days if you don't have a college degree -- around here, they start above minimum wage, provide regular, scheduled raises and even offer health insurance. Starbucks would still do a pretty good job taking care of their employees even if they didn't have a tip jar.