PDA

View Full Version : Tipping - For? Against? How Much? Yes To Waitstaff, But No To...?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

milanessa
09-10-2011, 10:49 PM
If I have an extended stay vacation, I will leave a tip for the maids. One night - no. I waitressed in high school and college - we got lower than minimum wage and had to report an 8% tip on every food and beverage sale as income. So if someone stiffed us on a tip, the IRS still assumed we got a minimum tip of 8% and had to pay taxes on such.

Ignoring each individual transaction did you not make at least minimum wage for a weeks work?

skatemommy
09-10-2011, 10:52 PM
^ yes, but much of it was in cash. That's the part the IRS wants their hands on!

milanessa
09-10-2011, 10:55 PM
^ yes, but much of it was in cash. That's the part the IRS wants their hands on!

My point exactly. Why shouldn't someone pay income tax on cash wages?

danceronice
09-10-2011, 11:09 PM
It's a great American myth that wait staff don't make at least minimum wage. If their tips don't take their hourly wage to at least the minimum then the employer is required to make up the difference. Does that always work in practice? I'm sure it doesn't. In order for it to happen wait staff have to report their tips and they're often reluctant to do that because once it's on paper then their tax liability may be higher. Some of them make big bucks. Minimum wage isn't a lot to survive on, and often people can't, but this idea that wait staff are taking home a couple of dollars an hour is crap.

Yeah. If you don't tip, the employers have to make it up to minimum. If servers don't want to report it because it raises their tax withholding, on behalf of the hourlies in the kitchen who don't have a choice about that and take home substantially less in most restaurants, tough luck. Report your tips, and if you don't get tips, tell the employer and get your paycheck with the appropriate withholding.

PeterG
09-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Purple.

It's a great American myth that wait staff don't make at least minimum wage. If their tips don't take their hourly wage to at least the minimum then the employer is required to make up the difference. Does that always work in practice? I'm sure it doesn't. In order for it to happen wait staff have to report their tips and they're often reluctant to do that because once it's on paper then their tax liability may be higher. Some of them make big bucks. Minimum wage isn't a lot to survive on, and often people can't, but this idea that wait staff are taking home a couple of dollars an hour is crap.

I find your thinking to be inconsistent.

:P

milanessa
09-10-2011, 11:20 PM
I find your thinking to be inconsistent.

:P

Makes perfect sense to me. Oh wait, I meant 42. :P

mag
09-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Makes perfect sense to me. Oh wait, I meant 42. :P

Wow! You know the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

Kasey
09-10-2011, 11:37 PM
I tip 20% minimum in restaurants (have only left no tip once in my life, and that was earned). I get a pedicure once in a while and will usually tip up to $35 on a $28 service; haircuts/styling, I'll tip $5-10, depending on the cost and how long the service took, as well as how much I like the result. I get a massage once in a while from a high-school friend who only charges me $30, but I'll pay her about $45 usually (still about $15 cheaper than most massages in this area).

It kind of annoys me to see tip jars at Port of Subs/Subway, or Starbucks type shops (i.e., where there is no waiting on people at tables, just making their order). Because as I see it, you aren't providing a specific service to ME, like coming to my table, cutting my hair, painting my toes, etc; you are just doing your job, aka making coffee or a sandwich. But still, I'll drop in the coin change from whatever my order is into the tip jar.

milanessa
09-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Wow! You know the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

Yep. :D

cruisin
09-11-2011, 12:02 AM
It was you. :saint:

Of course it was :rolleyes: Wonder why it was so different in Italy.

It kind of annoys me to see tip jars at Port of Subs/Subway, or Starbucks type shops (i.e., where there is no waiting on people at tables, just making their order). Because as I see it, you aren't providing a specific service to ME, like coming to my table, cutting my hair, painting my toes, etc; you are just doing your job, aka making coffee or a sandwich. But still, I'll drop in the coin change from whatever my order is into the tip jar.

I agree. I will add some change if all I get back is a few pennies. But, if I'm just getting a regular coffee and not a special coffee, I think it's ridiculous.

IceJunkie
09-11-2011, 12:04 AM
The eye roll is for your ridiculous assertion that wait staff make $2.13 an hour in Texas without the caveat that tips are on top of that. I'm not against tipping (I tip generously as a matter of fact) and I'm not against the whole tipping environment being overturned by requiring that everyone making a living wage. I am against the intellectually dishonest crap that people spew when they talk about making $2.13 an hour.

Dishonest crap? Thanks, considering I no way insulted what you wrote in my previous post.

I don't think I ever asserted that waiters don't receive tips, and nor was that my intention. My problem is that for whatever reason, many people assume that waiters make the federal minimum wage of 7.25, when in fact, most do not, and therefore they don't see a need to tip.

Plus, there is always the implication from management that if you did not receive any tips or did very poorly than that it is a reflection of your abilities.

BaileyCatts
09-11-2011, 12:14 AM
For restaurants, I carry a Tip Card with me that shows you what 15% and 20% tip should be on the dollar amount, and I always round up so the amount is an even $$ amount on my CC bill. I usually end up tipping around 18-20%. Excellent service gets more, but I usually always give at least 15%.

When I get a haircut ($35) I always give her $10. Hmm ... that's enough, isn't? Same girl I've been going to for years. She was at a department store salon, then several of the girls left and opened their own salon so I followed her there.

Vash01
09-11-2011, 01:40 AM
I usually tip around 15% for an OK service, a little higher for better service, 20% for outstanding, 10% for poor service. In very rare events (I think it only happened once) I did not tip because I was deeply offended by the server's remark.

Prancer
09-11-2011, 12:19 PM
My problem is that for whatever reason, many people assume that waiters make the federal minimum wage of 7.25, when in fact, most do not, and therefore they don't see a need to tip.

They do?

I haven't taken a poll or anything, but I can't think of anyone I have ever known living anywhere in the US who was not completely aware that most servers make less than minimum wage. I have known a couple of people who refused to tip, but that had nothing to do with not understanding that servers don't make minimum wage.

there is always the implication from management that if you did not receive any tips or did very poorly than that it is a reflection of your abilities.

IME, it often is. While every server gets stiffed from time to time, tips overall nearly always reflect, at least in part, the quality of service. This is usually tempered by the type of restaurant they work in, but again--if you are a good server, you can usually get a job at a higher end restaurant and make more in tips.

I know several people who work in the food service business and they all make well over minimum wage with tips. If they didn't, they would work in fast food, where they would make minimum wage. I've asked every server I know if they would prefer minimum wage with no tips or less than minimum wage with tips, and they have all said tips, tips, tips. But I find it hard to believe that servers would prefer working for minimum wage, since, you know, they almost certainly could do that instead. I know someone who just quit a job as a receptionist in a dentist's office so she could go back to work waiting tables, because she made more money that way. One of my friends spent years waiting on tables in a tavern so she could make enough money to afford to teach literature (if you think servers are underpaid, try being an adjunct for a while).

Now that may just be my friends; I do understand that. But still--if you aren't making enough in tips to make minimum wage, why not try to find a minimum wage job?

vesperholly
09-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Penny wise and pound foolish. I'm not going to get rich by saving 3% on my dinner bill, so why be cheap? (This from someone who has bought a $30 sweater, then stood in the grocery store for 5 minutes trying to calculate whether buying a 3-pack of tissue boxes is cheaper than individual packs!)