PDA

View Full Version : Tipping - For? Against? How Much? Yes To Waitstaff, But No To...?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Beefcake
09-10-2011, 06:35 PM
:o My system requires a little contemplation and a little 6th grade math.

For wait staff >
20% base plus 10% if they're :grope: minus 15% if they're :grope: but aloof (/ ignore us) plus 5% if one of my table mates has been a handful ... sigh, plus 20% if I'm drunk and/or feeling guilty about them having to wait on privileged old me.

Okay, that was only mostly true.

For massages and hair cuts >
25% for the most part, meaning off of the standard price ... the stylist/masseuse shouldn't be penalized by a big ol' coupon or discount I brought with me.

cruisin
09-10-2011, 06:40 PM
And yes, it is really hard to get restaurants to make up the difference if you didn't make that. Restaurants can be so cheap. My friend works at a very busy restaurant with an upstairs and downstairs area. I mention this just to let you know how big the place is and that if your tables are upstairs you have to leave the area quite often to go down to the kitchen to get food. Anyway, if a table leaves without paying (which happens more than you would think) the server is required to pay the bill IN FULL. Not even a tiny discount. First, why is the server responsible? They could be gone for a while in this huge restaurant, how can they stop their table from slipping out? It baffles my mind. I have seriously considered never eating there again because of how they treat their employees but the food is good. :shuffle:

That is awful! I know it is pretty standard for restaurants to take the money out of the server's pay check if a meal is not paid for. But, it stinks. I have been in very crowded restaurants where the waiters were difficult to find, when I wanted the bill. I would simply ask any waiter near by to ask mine to please bring the bill. If I have the bill and am waiting to leave, I will get up, find the waiter and hand the payment to them. But, how could someone leave and just not pay :eek:!

jamesy
09-10-2011, 06:48 PM
:o My system requires a little contemplation and a little 6th grade math.

For wait staff >
20% base plus 10% if they're :grope: minus 15% if they're :grope: but aloof (/ ignore us) plus 5% if one of my table mates has been a handful ... sigh, plus 20% if I'm drunk and/or feeling guilty about them having to wait on privileged old me.

Okay, that was only mostly true.
Do you make any kind of adjustments if the server is homely? :P

cruisin
09-10-2011, 07:03 PM
For massages and hair cuts >
25% for the most part, meaning off of the standard price ... the stylist/masseuse shouldn't be penalized by a big ol' coupon or discount I brought with me.

That's a lot. Do you give 25% to the stylist and something additional to the shampoo person? If you don't mind my asking, what does a good haircut cost where you live?

I really don't think that owners should be tipped. They take a good % of what the other operators bring in. Yes, much of that goes to overhead, but... Unfortunately, it now has become fairly common to tip owners. I just give mine a flat $20, I think that is enough, especially when I sometimes have to tip 1 or 2 other people.

I know the person who does my gels gets $40 for fill-ins. She only keeps $28 of that. So, I do tip her a bit more than 20%. But, I also love her to bits!

Civic
09-10-2011, 07:48 PM
At restaurants, I'll leave a tip that is 15-20% of the bill. IMO, it's not that hard to figure out what the tip should be. Take 10% of the bill then double it for a 20% tip.

I usually leave a 20% tip at nail salons.

At hair salons I tip anywhere from 10% to 20% depending on how pleased I am with the end result and how much I can afford. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even know you were supposed to tip hair stylists until I was well into my thirties.:slinkaway

My opinions on tipping restaurant servers are colored by the following:
1) I've done it myself so I know how hard it can be to do a good job and how measly is the base pay.

2) I lived for in college towns for over 20 years so I'm used to restaurants where most of the servers are college students. Waiting tables is how they help fund their education. Since I'm a big supporter of the idea that everyone who wants to attend college and meets the academic requirements should be able to do so, I'm inclined to be generous to them when I patronize these establishments.

reckless
09-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Regarding minimum wage for servers, different states have different laws. In California, for instance, minimum wage is mandatory before tips are added.

Wiery
09-10-2011, 08:01 PM
I worked for tips many years ago, so I always treat the server with respect and tip generously.

IceJunkie
09-10-2011, 08:02 PM
I've waited tables on and off over the past four years, and I can tell you, waiters (at least in the US) make crap. We make 2.13 an hour. I wish more people knew this. So basically, I feel like 10% is acceptable if the waiter did a shitty job, 15% if it was slightly below average and 20% is standard, and 25% is for excellent service.

milanessa
09-10-2011, 08:08 PM
I've waited tables on and off over the past four years, and I can tell you, waiters (at least in the US) make crap. We make 2.13 an hour. I wish more people knew this.

:rolleyes:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm#foot1

WindSpirit
09-10-2011, 08:08 PM
I usually leave a 20% tip at nail salons.

At hair salons I tip anywhere from 10% to 20% depending on how pleased I am with the end result and how much I can afford. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even know you were supposed to tip hair stylists until I was well into my thirties.:slinkaway Is a hair stylist an euphemism for the person who washes your hair? Because I was really surprised to find out you are supposed to tip that person, too. Which I find absolutely ridiculous. If they have an extra person sweeping the floor, should I tip them too? That would be 4 people already. And the owner now even if they did nothing? Haha.

I'm a pretty good tipper at restaurants.

I've been tipping my hairdresser 50% lately. Mainly because she doesn't charge me much and she does everything herself. I'm dreading finding another one, because I am not going to tip every single person at a salon that crosses my path. I'm paying for my haircut and I'm tipping the person who cuts my hair. If they have someone to just wash people's hair, sorry. I'm not going to tip someone for washing my hair.

Allen
09-10-2011, 08:12 PM
I worked for tips many years ago, so I always treat the server with respect and tip generously.

Me too. I served and bartended during undergrad. I had a lot of regulars who tipped me well and in general, I made really good money. However, I certainly had my share of bad tips and extremely rude customers. I try my best to be as low maintenance as possible. I live in a city with several colleges and I always tip generously because, like Civic, I know that many of these servers are putting themselves through college, but also because I certainly benefitted fromt he generosity of others when I was serving in Nashville. Oliver and I consistently get waited on by students of ours at local restaurants. Someone on Rate My Professor once said that not only was a I good teacher, I was a good tipper :). I tend to be really understanding when people are having a bad night.

I probably tip hairdressers, massage therapists, and aestheticians more than most. I feel like I have to trust a person to let them touch my hair and/or my body. I'm a loyalist, so if I find someone I like, I stick with them. I feel more inclined then to tip very generously.

jlai
09-10-2011, 08:15 PM
I normally tip the 15% that is expected; more if the waiter goes out of his/her way to be nice; and less if the service is not up to par.

One time I asked for a virgin pena colada, and I specified the virgin part. The waiter served it, and I asked again, "Is this virgin?" and he said yes. I drank it and felt tipsy for quite some time. That time I didn't tip at all.

allezfred
09-10-2011, 08:16 PM
I LOATHE people who do not tip. I can understand if you think the restaurant should just pay a full wage and add it to your bill (please, don't be so naive as to think the prices will stay the same!!) but you can't just refuse to tip. If that is how you feel then DO NOT GO EAT IN A RESTAURANT!!! It is mind boggling that people can just not pay for a service. You wouldn't go to your dentist without insurance and then just walk out and say "no, I feel like the government should supply healthcare for everyone and I will not pay for this...have a good day!"

Well, normally when you pay for a service the total cost to you is included in the price. I presume dentists in the US don't ask for a tip after they've given you fillings for the service of doing so. :lol:

I'll tip when I'm in the US because it's part of the social etiquette, but I think it's an annoying and confusing practice. How much? To whom? When? Pay your staff a decent wage and pass the cost on to your customers in higher prices innit. How much a person earns shouldn't be dependent on whether a customer is generous or not.

No tipping in Japan and the level of customer service is overall the best I've experienced anywhere in the world. And I find the general standard of food service in France much better than the US. Just saying. :shuffle:

Jenna
09-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Well, normally when you pay for a service the total cost to you is included in the price. I presume dentists in the US don't ask for a tip after they've given you fillings for the service of doing so. :lol:

I'll tip when I'm in the US because it's part of the social etiquette, but I think it's an annoying and confusing practice. How much? To whom? When? Pay your staff a decent wage and pass the cost on to your customers in higher prices innit. How much a person earns shouldn't be dependent on whether a customer is generous or not.

No tipping in Japan and the level of customer service is overall the best I've experienced anywhere in the world. And I find the general standard of food service in France much better than the US. Just saying. :shuffle:

Why am I NOT surprised? :lol: :rolleyes:

mag
09-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I tip where tipping is customary, but... It drives me nut when people travel and don't follow the customs of the place they visit. Many years ago I was traveling in New Zealand. Back then all the tourist brochures made it very clear that tipping WAS NOT part of the culture. I'm not sure now, but back then I know that many North American tourists did tip and it was causing problems for the locals.

I also don't think that owners should be tipped, but it can be difficult if the tip options is on the credit card reader. Pressing no makes me feel cheap, so I usually end up leaving a tip.